next soccer question

Other Sports.
Cascadia

Re: next soccer question

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:03 am Wizards miss the playoffs for the first time in eight seasons.
They’re not eliminated yet. Can still get 46 points
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

I’m so happy for Benny. He acted like a bitch his short time here.

Wanted to go to a winner. Glad he got what he wanted.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Hard to blame a guy for wanting to leave a dumpster fire.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

#1 Sporting fan right here.

Amazing the Rapids have any chance at postseason after how this season started.
noosh

Post by noosh »

Gqcolorado wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:27 pm #1 Sporting fan right here.

Amazing the Rapids have any chance at postseason after how this season started.
Was great seeing old AC78 during pregame last night in CMH. Some real silly moves by Vermes over all these years thinking he had the eye, the players have the skill, and the club has the resources to just move out critical pieces and plop in the next wunderkind in his place. AC78 was as bad of a move PV has made among many headscratchers in recent years. This isn't Europe. The SKC approach is really admirable from a soccer perspective but you gotta know where you are and if they insist on this model in today's MLS expect a lot more playoff misses.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think it's pretty clear that the fans are ready and OK with parting with the legacy guys.

I have a feeling, though, that Vermes is going to point to all of the early season injuries coupled with going all out in the Champions League to say that these guys still have one more run in them. Obviously, I hope not, but makes for an interesting offseason.
noosh

Post by noosh »

It's not enough anymore to just have the best color scheme, the best crest, the best stadium, the best wannabe European model. Those all served SKC very well for a handful of years but MLS teams have caught up and passed SKC by in all phases. PV needs to follow his heart and find a lower tier Euro league to apply his passion. Go to somewhere like Sweden or Denmark where the futbol is good and do his thang. Otherwise I think the SKC brass needs to sack his ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/soccer/tim-howard/ ... to-my-fans

Howard had some great games - most notably the 2-1 loss to Belgium where he had 16 saves and Wondo missed a gimmie in the last moments that would have put the game away.

I remember a couple other games.
Algeria 2010, where he sent the long pass to Donovan who ended up scoring to put the USA through.
Argentina 2008 and Lionel Messi, a 0-0 tie thanks to Howard.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:04 am https://www.espn.com/soccer/tim-howard/ ... to-my-fans

Howard had some great games - most notably the 2-1 loss to Belgium where he had 16 saves and Wondo missed a gimmie in the last moments that would have put the game away.

I remember a couple other games.
Algeria 2010, where he sent the long pass to Donovan who ended up scoring to put the USA through.
Argentina 2008 and Lionel Messi, a 0-0 tie thanks to Howard.
2009 Spain - Confederations Cup
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

The entire 2009 Confederations Cup was really the moment for Howard.

Freaking Spain and Brazil went at him tournament long (Brazil 2 games and Spain 1 game) and he held his own. If he only held that 2-0 lead against Brazil in the finals, then it would have been even sweeter.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
noosh

Post by noosh »

Forget his wasted efforts for our shit Natl squad. This guy was repping as one of the top goalies in the best domestic league in world long before following EPL was cool. If all one can do is reference USMNT performances, they don't know shit about soccer or Timmay.
noosh

Post by noosh »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:04 am ....Wondo missed a gimmie in the last moments that would have put the game away.
1. Wondo was clearly onside, but the line judge threw up his flag and goal wouldn't have counted anyway.
2. It was a great chance, but the myth of what an abortion has grown over time. Go back to the tape and it wasn't that much of a gimme. [then again, this is what these guys are paid to do. then again, what should one expect from a career MLS striker?]
3. Had Wondo not sky'd it over the goal, Courtois would have stopped anything that would have been on frame. Again, go back and look at the tape.

I say all of this being situated as firmly in the anti-Wondo camp as one could be.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Good for you.
Someone who doesn't consider that chance gimmie is someone who doesn't know shit about soccer.
noosh

Post by noosh »

You just stick to MLS chatter, OK son?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Fuck Wondo.

/thread
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Ah yes, how can we forget all those epic saves against Millwall!!!
noosh

Post by noosh »

Millwall has never played in the Prem
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

noosh wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:45 pm Millwall has never played in the Prem
If you knew anything about soccer, or Tim Howard, you’d know that Howard was the starting keeper for Manchester United in the 2004 FA Cup Final.

A 3-0 win over............Millwall.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

DAMN!
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
noosh

Post by noosh »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:41 pm
noosh wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:45 pm Millwall has never played in the Prem
If you knew anything about soccer, or Tim Howard, you’d know that Howard was the starting keeper for Manchester United in the 2004 FA Cup Final.

A 3-0 win over............Millwall.
Again, as I said, Millwall has never played in the Prem.