Late Night

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 104

Re: Late Night

Post by Deleted User 104 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:39 pm Everyone was so offended. They couldn't believe their eyes and ears.

Unfortunately, the politically correct b.s. has hit Kansas as much anywhere.
Deleted User 104

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:39 pm Everyone was so offended. They couldn't believe their eyes and ears.

Unfortunately, the politically correct b.s. has hit Kansas as much anywhere. Just a few weeks ago people were freaking out because I said AOC was pretty and had a nice figure. These same people probably don't mind Snoop's lyrics about bitches and hos. Not knocking Snoop, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the politically correct morons.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Turns out that KU's limp-wristed responses to the "controversy" end up being much more damaging than the act itself.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

The horse is dead. You can stop beating it now.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

lobster wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:52 am

Unfortunately, the politically correct b.s. has hit Kansas as much anywhere. Just a few weeks ago people were freaking out because I said AOC was pretty and had a nice figure. These same people probably don't mind Snoop's lyrics about bitches and hos. Not knocking Snoop, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the politically correct morons.
Liar
Deleted User 104

The triggering continues...
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

lobster wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:14 pm The triggering continues...
You claim people attacked you for something you said and take out the part of what you said that people actually had a problem with. You are a liar.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:46 pm Yep. I like gutter. I hope he always sticks around.
^^^
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:59 am Love me sum gutter.
^^^
Geezer wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:14 pm The dude don't come without drama.
^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 286

Post by Deleted User 286 »

I wasn't offended by having snoop and strippers at late night in the phog. I didn't really find it appealing, but I wasn't offended. Many people enjoyed it thoroughly. Others didn't. Can't please everyone.

I disagree that late night in the phog "isn't for fans". Yes it's for students/players/recruits, but it's also for fans and families, or at least had been historically since changing the start time to earlier in the evening, which was partly to better accommodate/appeal to fans and families of Jayhawks.

Pretending they (Self & AD) didn't know or expect what was going to transpire was foolish and made them look incompetent. Those stripper poles didn't wheel themselves into Allen Fieldhouse, someone had to let the snoop set up crew in and help coordinate music/lights/etc.

Snoop is old and has kind of fallen off a little bit. I get the idea of having a famous rapper perform, but 2Chainz and Snoop and Lil yachty aren't exactly the same as having J Cole. Although snoop is far more respected than 2Chainz or lil yachty, even at his old age

PDub has long talked about the desire to avoid becoming the Kansas City Phogushers.....well to me, late night felt like we had become the Adidas Jayhawks, and not the Kansas Jayhawks.

All in all, seemed like it was kind of a bad look for Kansas....but I'm sure Adidas loved the exposure and big middle finger to the NCAA.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Who’s J Cole?
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

Fuck.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:46 amWho’s J Cole?
Remember, Illy stays on top of current pop trends and slang.

I also have no fucking clue who J Cole is.
noosh

Post by noosh »

This is all great PR for KU. All press is good press. Within a couple years the only KU stories will be "look how far the mighty have fallen". We should embrace this before we're starting over with CB McGrath and happy just making the Tourney again.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

Lol
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Snoop is in a category with guys like Jay Z and Dr Dre. He may not have as many recent hits as J Cole, but he is still big enough in the rap/music culture that players and recruits these days still know his songs and can still sell out arenas playing the same songs that made him famous in the 90s and 00s.

I would actually say getting Snoop is bigger than getting J Cole when it comes generating buzz to an overall fan base. EVERYONE at Late Night knew who Snoop Dogg was. Not everyone would have known J Cole.
Deleted User 286

Post by Deleted User 286 »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:37 pm Snoop is in a category with guys like Jay Z and Dr Dre. He may not have as many recent hits as J Cole, but he is still big enough in the rap/music culture that players and recruits these days still know his songs and can still sell out arenas playing the same songs that made him famous in the 90s and 00s.

I would actually say getting Snoop is bigger than getting J Cole when it comes generating buzz to an overall fan base. EVERYONE at Late Night knew who Snoop Dogg was. Not everyone would have known J Cole.
I agree with all that....snoop is above J Cole on the rap totem pole....but Snoop is pushing 50, so if the idea is that this is only about the players and students then the fact all the 50 year olds knew who snoop was is kind of irrelevant.

Again, my issue isn't necessarily with Snoop, he's an all time great... but he's not exactly my idea of someone who should perform at late night in the phog in what I think is supposed to be a family friendly environment.

Snoop performed at the Illinois State Fair this year.....it was pretty awful from what I was told by people who attended. So I'm not sure he's exactly selling out the biggest arenas or a draw for top venues quite as much anymore, but he's definitely a name brand.

.....but this was more about the fact he's an Adidas guy than anything it sure seems like. I have a sneaky suspicion they (Adidas) were calling most of the shots for this year's late night performance (and last years?).... which is annoying to me for whatever reason. Much like the idea of the Kansas City Phogushers is annoying to pwhitt and others. Adidas made our coach and program look pretty stupid. Tie that in with our off court issues surrounding Adidas, and our other off court issues over the last decade with various players, and it's just starting to change the perception of our program on a very real level.

I feel like we could get someone who is buzz worthy and a little more appealing than snoop. J Cole was just a random artist that came to mind, could have used other better examples. If money isn't the issue then get a Rhianna type echelon of artist (I think she's puma, so there's that, but this isn't Adidas Jayhawks Late Night in the Phog)...I do love the idea of having a musical performance....but could do without strippers, money guns, etc.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:37 pm Snoop is in a category with guys like Jay Z and Dr Dre. He may not have as many recent hits as J Cole, but he is still big enough in the rap/music culture that players and recruits these days still know his songs and can still sell out arenas playing the same songs that made him famous in the 90s and 00s.

FWIW (which is less than 2 cents) a simple Ticketmaster search shows me he's hardly selling out 2,500 - 5,000 seat arenas.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/snoop-dogg ... ist/763942

I have no idea what it cost to have Snoop come to KU and who actually paid for it but in hindsight it might not have been such a great investment. If we need Snoop to be a difference maker with a recruit signing with us then maybe we need to re-examine our recruiting process?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Paul1 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:10 pm

FWIW (which is less than 2 cents) a simple Ticketmaster search shows me he's hardly selling out 2,500 - 5,000 seat arenas.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/snoop-dogg ... ist/763942

I have no idea what it cost to have Snoop come to KU and who actually paid for it but in hindsight it might not have been such a great investment. If we need Snoop to be a difference maker with a recruit signing with us then maybe we need to re-examine our recruiting process?
Less than a month ago he played the 17,000 seat SAP Center. Last year he did the 50,000 seat Aloha Stadium and Rupp Arena. I think the fact he's doing shows in places like the House of Blues as more to do with the fact he's 50 and doing fewer shows than the idea he can't get fans in a bigger place.

Then again, I'm not a close personal friend, so you probably are right.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 pm

I agree with all that....snoop is above J Cole on the rap totem pole....but Snoop is pushing 50, so if the idea is that this is only about the players and students then the fact all the 50 year olds knew who snoop was is kind of irrelevant.

Again, my issue isn't necessarily with Snoop, he's an all time great... but he's not exactly my idea of someone who should perform at late night in the phog in what I think is supposed to be a family friendly environment.

Snoop performed at the Illinois State Fair this year.....it was pretty awful from what I was told by people who attended. So I'm not sure he's exactly selling out the biggest arenas or a draw for top venues quite as much anymore, but he's definitely a name brand.

.....but this was more about the fact he's an Adidas guy than anything it sure seems like. I have a sneaky suspicion they (Adidas) were calling most of the shots for this year's late night performance (and last years?).... which is annoying to me for whatever reason. Much like the idea of the Kansas City Phogushers is annoying to pwhitt and others. Adidas made our coach and program look pretty stupid. Tie that in with our off court issues surrounding Adidas, and our other off court issues over the last decade with various players, and it's just starting to change the perception of our program on a very real level.

I feel like we could get someone who is buzz worthy and a little more appealing than snoop. J Cole was just a random artist that came to mind, could have used other better examples. If money isn't the issue then get a Rhianna type echelon of artist (I think she's puma, so there's that, but this isn't Adidas Jayhawks Late Night in the Phog)...I do love the idea of having a musical performance....but could do without strippers, money guns, etc.
Assume away until your heart is content.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

If illy is coming back, can we change his name to IllannoysJayhawk?

Can’t want for this Tech N9ne 2.0 meltdown