Border War Back On

Kansas Basketball.
JayhawkInIowa726

Re: Border War Back On

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

I think it's better to destroy Mizzou on the court (and hopefully football field) every year than not allow them their "moment in the sun". I'd rather have our teams prove their irrelevance.

Yes this game will get some press coverage the first time back, but it's minor in the big scheme of things. Then, after that first game, it will just be highlights of KU crushing Mizzou every year. This isn't going to be some huge recruiting pitch that'll help Missouri return its basketball program to prominence. No 17 year old on the fence between Missouri and Ole Miss is going to make their decision based on playing Kansas every year.

Plus this comes with the bonus of being able to tell Iowa State fans to shut the fuck up about being our rivals. I'm sick of that shit up here. Missouri is and always has been our rival.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:03 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:47 pm Is playing Misery ACTUALLY fun?

This did nothing for me, doesn't move the needle.

I guess it's better than having a four game series with North Dakota State, but it'd be so much better to set something like this up with someone better, Ohio State, or Arizona, or someone like that.

Only positive I see is that hopefully in the SC years, we don't play our usual bullshit game.
It's fun when we win.

...and it doesn't mean we can't have a series with Ohio State or Arizona. We can drop a cupcake game.
It’s not that easy. Fans don’t realize how tight KU has to be with scheduling.

This series will replace a marquee home and home matchup. So, yes, it’s the equivalent of having to replace an Ohio State or UA series, which we’ve had in the past.

That said, as I stated before, I think the Big 12/SEC showdown is on its way out.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:13 am I think some Kansas fans vastly overstate how much of a "favor" we are doing Mizzou.
Have you ever been to a Border War game? Have you ever been to a game in Kansas City? I really think YOU don't understand...
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Paul1 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:35 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:03 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:47 pm Is playing Misery ACTUALLY fun?

This did nothing for me, doesn't move the needle.

I guess it's better than having a four game series with North Dakota State, but it'd be so much better to set something like this up with someone better, Ohio State, or Arizona, or someone like that.

Only positive I see is that hopefully in the SC years, we don't play our usual bullshit game.
It's fun when we win.

...and it doesn't mean we can't have a series with Ohio State or Arizona. We can drop a cupcake game.
Come on Illini! Win or lose, playing Missouri was never fun. Didn't do anything for any KU fan.
Remember February 25th 2012? That game didn't mean anything to anybody. Nor did any of the other games KU and Missouri played against each other.
OH, yeah - that's right! Now that they are no longer in our conference the games will be meaningless and will suck. Nevermind.

As far as KU still being able to play a series against OSU and/or Arizona (or someone else that's above average quality) you're right but just don't tell anyone else it's possible. They will tell you it's not.
People who want to play every game against a marque opponent are the same ones bitching in January that a freshman isn't ready because he couldn't play in the non-con.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

That post describes no one.
Deleted User 286

Post by Deleted User 286 »

thekid6 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:52 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:13 am I think some Kansas fans vastly overstate how much of a "favor" we are doing Mizzou.
Have you ever been to a Border War game? Have you ever been to a game in Kansas City? I really think YOU don't understand...
I have. They're fantastic. In high school and college I went to almost every border war game in AFH....I've been to more games at Kemper and Sprint than I care to remember (because we seem to suck in Sprint about half the time, even when we win).

I think you're misunderstanding the context of "doing them a favor". It's not the experience of the actual game that is being portrayed as a favor. It's somehow thinking this makes them relevant nationally (it doesn't, except maybe for a short time if they win...which they won't), or gives them some super extreme exposure nationally (it will get attention because we're good, but not THAT much attention).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

InfiniteJ wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:51 pm I'm against anything that provides excitement to the University of Missouri and any of it's sports programs.
Just to put this out here again for those who don't understand.
Deleted User 286

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:03 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:51 pm I'm against anything that provides excitement to the University of Missouri and any of it's sports programs.
I think that is a completely fair stance...as is the stance to be against it because they left the conference.

My dad (who graduated from KU) is against it....my aunt and uncle (also graduated from KU) who live in KC area are in favor of it.

This is a good example of a situation where it's okay to disagree without needing to personally attack each other or try to devalue or diminish the opinions of others because they don't fit certain criteria. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:03 pm
I'm putting this out here for those who don't understand.
Are you also against anything that provides excitement to the University of Kansas and any of its sports programs?
I ask that because I feel it's a sad statement when people are more focused on Missou and what this game means for them than KU and what the game means for KU.
It's a fricking team that used to be our biggest rival. Plenty of history. No team I would rather beat as a KU fan than Missouri.
People want to piss all the history and the rivalry away and don't want to play them now simply because they left our conference?
I'm someone who doesn't get it but hey - to each their own.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’d rather play a team like Gonzaga.
Plenty exciting and no benefit to mizzou.

I was also born and raised in Lawrence. There’s extra hatred if you’re Kansas/Lawrence born.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Cool. I respect that. A team we don't see every season who is a quality opponent. Totally understandable.
Not too sure exactly how exciting the game will/would be but you got to schedule a team in order to find out.
Deleted User 286

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:36 pm I’d rather play a team like Gonzaga.

I was also born and raised in Lawrence. There’s extra hatred if you’re Kansas/Lawrence born.
We could still play Gonzaga...although that'll never happen either because we won't agree to a home and home with them because they're a mid major.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:45 pm

We could still play Gonzaga...although that'll never happen either because we won't agree to a home and home with them because they're a mid major.
JFC
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 286

Geezer wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:39 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:45 pm

JFC
?

They've got UNC at home this year, but we typically don't do home and homes with mid majors like that. At least not that I remember other than maybe Temple? And they're nowhere near as dangerous as as the zags....talk about doing someone a favor, we'd be doing them a favor and we'd have little to gain by having a home and home with Gonzaga imo.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... polls.html

Yet something else you don't know shit about.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 286

Their rankings? I'm lost man.

When have we ever done a home and home with a dangerous mid major like Gonzaga?

Few has numerous times gone on TV and said that's why they have a hard time getting the biggest programs to play them in Spokane. Because most either want a neutral site or for a home/neutral type arrangement and they don't think they should have to compromise themselves unfairly like that....and they shouldn't. They've built a program and sustained themselves as a real contender for a long time. Lots of respect for that program.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Some recent home and home series with mid majors:

Temple
San Diego State
Nevada
UNLV
DePaul
Memphis in a neutral site series
Villanova has been a mid major for most of its existence

In 2020, we’re starting a series with mid major Missouri.
Deleted User 286

More than I remembered. Sorry.
Deleted User 286

Nevada was a weird tournament thing when we went to their home arena. Looks like we also played a game against UCSB at the same venue the day before the Nevada game (which we lost).
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:55 am I didn’t realize one had to live in KC metro to have an opinion. Thanks for clarifying.

Those of us that do not meet your qualifications will now step away.
don’t let the door hit ya...