We’ll call him Wing Malone
Deleted User 89

Re: Official Game thread: KU vs Fort Hays St

Post by Deleted User 89 »

tyson-style face tat
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Garrett looked like the best player on the court. Not sure if it'll translate to better competition, but man, he looked fast AF.

He seemed cocky, which I think is better than tentative.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Definitely with you on cocky being better. We need that.

I haven't seen all of it, but thought Garrett, Och and Braun looked like the best players in that order.

These games can be weird for Dok. He was not impressive in the early games last season, either.

De Sousa, I'm sure lots of nerves.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:16 pm Definitely with you on cocky being better. We need that.

I haven't seen all of it, but thought Garrett, Och and Braun looked like the best players in that order.

These games can be weird for Dok. He was not impressive in the early games last season, either.

De Sousa, I'm sure lots of nerves.
Dok really stinks in these games. All those small players coming from nowhere and just swarming him if he makes any move. There was a time in the 2nd half when he had the and-one where he just straight bullied his way to the basket and no one was stopping him, and he yelled after it because he was frustrated.

He'll be a monster in New York against Duke.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ThroughThePhog

Post by ThroughThePhog »

Four takeaways from the exhibition against FHSU:

https://throughthephog.com/2019/10/25/k ... -jayhawks/
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ThroughThePhog wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:36 pm Four takeaways from the exhibition against FHSU:

You know, why doesn't Bill just figure the spacing issue out with SDS and Dok? Get back and run some hi-low and impose your will on other teams. Bill hasn't done a great job of making other teams adapt lately. I think Beard might be a little better at that.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:52 pm
ThroughThePhog wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:36 pm Four takeaways from the exhibition against FHSU:

You know, why doesn't Bill just figure the spacing issue out with SDS and Dok? Get back and run some hi-low and impose your will on other teams. Bill hasn't done a great job of making other teams adapt lately. I think Beard might be a little better at that.
Agree. And from a defensive standpoint, if you're than concerned about SDS guarding a guard, then play zone IMO.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

I’m a little surprised at DeSousa’s trouble guarding a guard.

I figured with his athleticism he’d be able to handle mobile 4s and switching on guards
Deleted User 286

Post by Deleted User 286 »

This is an overreaction. SDS hadn't played in a year. Dok was also rusty. AND on top of that matched against smaller quicker players. This was an obvious outcome, as we've seen this from even some of our best bigs over the years in similar situations against similar early or preseason opponents.

We honestly can't go small for long stretches if we want to maximize our potential. It's easy to focus on the offensive side of the ball, but dok and sds will be a handful defensively with rim protection if we learn to play team defense around them (which we should because dotson/ochai/Garrett are also experienced players who are good at defense.

Self has always been dangerous with defense first type teams. It's okay to win in the 70s.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

Not saying they will be as good but MG and Och reminded me a little of Russel Robinson and Chalmers. Great on ball D from Garret. Good anticipation and running through the passing lane from Och.