Modern feminism thread

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Modern feminism thread

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:25 pm Be open to the societal pressures that speak to a wife to be the super wife and the super parent and to to set aside her own needs and dreams to support you. I didn’t recognize those subconscious messages about society’s norms until atleast 10 years later. I was/am sincerely doing what I chose to do (i.e. be a great parent and good-enough wife), it is just that now, I see the real costs to me. I don’t have the answer to our society’s ills.
Is it really "society" pressuring women to try to be Super Moms? Because from what I see in our little circle of life is that the majority of pressure to be a Super Mom comes from the desire between the women to compete against each other.

We have a phrase in oir house that I use. "Stop trying to be Facebook perfect." No one is pushing my wife to appear a certain way except for herself and what she thinks other people, especially the other moms, think of the appearance she displays.

Watching a group of 40 somethings try to go out for drinks is ridiculous any more. Gotta go to a trendy place that people are envious of when you tag yourself on Facebook. Gotta take a hundred pics to get the right one where everyone looks cute. It's insane. Don't blame society for that shit. A chunk of it is on women. Quit being obsessed with what other people think of you and what you have/do/look like/wear/........
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

sorry, but society...more precisely social media society, is absolutely responsible
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Ain't nobody happier than a couple that needs to tell everyone how happier they are everyday via social media. LOL

(There's sarcasm in there)
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:00 pm sorry, but society...more precisely social media society, is absolutely responsible
Aka, the other moms on Facebook in my case. Facebook has basically become the primary weapon of russian trolls and suburban moms. Barf.
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 89

sure
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:52 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:37 am Sure sounds like you view some women who have different priorities than you as inferior...
How do you figure that I didn’t choose to forego my own opportunities in education and career advancment to care for the kid/household/career? I’m living it!
I prefer men and women to make their own decisions and decide what is important to them... I don't care if a woman wants to be career first, and I don't care of a woman wants to be family 1st. There is no single way that's right for everyone.
Am I mistaken or where you the one pushing for the mother to stay home to prevent the downfall of society, the rise in crime, and unhappy people? Honestly, I get you and Lobs confused sometimes.
Ouch!

#cold
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:24 am Thank you, DC! There is a fourth wave and the OP made no point. It took four pages to try and figure out what Lobs was thinking.
Lobs, remember we’re you were so enamored with Asian women? I don’t think it was the black hair and petite frame. You wanted the stereotyped Asian mentality whereby the woman 100% runs the household and the man never enters the kitchen, no?
Part of it was the look, although western women can be just as beautiful in my eyes. It had more to do with her being comfortable being feminine, as well as a good attitude and work ethic. She lets me lead and she doesn't try to act like a man. A lot of western women are aggressive and it's a turn off (I mean, just look at this thread for examples). She does take care of the house like she should and she's a wonderful cook. She knows I deeply appreciate her and love her. I cook sometimes on the weekends, but that's it. :D
Last edited by Deleted User 104 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 104

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:00 pm sorry, but society...more precisely social media society, is absolutely responsible
I disagree. No one is forcing anyone to use social media.
Deleted User 104

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:43 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:29 am

Most of the ones I encounter on a daily basis fall into the radical retribution category.
Interesting. Where do you live? If you don't mind me asking.

Because most of the women I am around aren't like the pussy hat wearers.

I'm helping with coverage at a smaller rural bank that my company owns today. The nice lady I'm working with (early 40s with 2 HS aged kids) was just talking about that she thinks what's wrong with people today is that mothers aren't raising the kids, daycares are.. and that she prefers the traditional lifestyle of her working part time so that she can be there to raise her kids, cook dinner for her family, and support her family in various ways....while her husband works full time and provides most of the financial strength for their family.

So I think it's all about the area and individual that shapes their views.
I work in academia, where most women have chopped off all their hair, gained a ton of weight, taken to wearing Dowdy the Clown-esqe muumuus, and have chosen to substitute garish earrings and outrageous eyeglasses for traditional emblems of attractiveness (Peacocking is what it would be called in men; not sure what you would call it in women).

It is ironic because, while they simultaneously reject the things that would make them attractive to men, they spend most of their time lamenting the fact that those same horrible men don't notice them or only view them in a professional context. They hate men for being men, but they also hate them for not finding them attractive. It is a sociological Gordian knot.
Sad but true.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Lot of mirror-imaging going on in this thread.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 89

lobster wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:26 pm
I disagree. No one is forcing anyone to use social media.
ok?

that doesn't keep it from impacting those that use it
Deleted User 104

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:04 pm
DrPepper wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:57 am Then it sounds like we should be arguing together for higher middle class wages, better public education, etc.
Yup.

Don't let seagull fool you into thinking I'm anti woman or a misogynist. I'm not. At all. I'm also not a trump guy or racist.

I just a guy from the Midwest who loves his family and Kansas hoops. I want women to have the same opportunities as men, and for women to feel free to make whichever life choices suits them personally. No expectations or judgment from me.
Bullshit no judgement. You just wrote "what doesn't help is having a daycare raise our children." So you are judging, quite stupidly and without anything to back it up, people who send their kids to daycare.
Deleted User 104

Judgment happens to all of us on here. Many people are judging me, probably even thinking I'm an idiot. Do I care? No. Judgment only bothers oneself if there's some truth to it.
Last edited by Deleted User 104 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Mjl wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:42 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:04 pm
DrPepper wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:57 am Then it sounds like we should be arguing together for higher middle class wages, better public education, etc.
Yup.

Don't let seagull fool you into thinking I'm anti woman or a misogynist. I'm not. At all. I'm also not a trump guy or racist.

I just a guy from the Midwest who loves his family and Kansas hoops. I want women to have the same opportunities as men, and for women to feel free to make whichever life choices suits them personally. No expectations or judgment from me.
Bullshit no judgement. You just wrote "what doesn't help is having a daycare raise our children." So you are judging, quite stupidly and without anything to back it up, people who send their kids to daycare.
No not really. I'm sorry you took it that way. Day care is a necessity for some people. I'm sure there are also people that like the break from parenting during the day while they're at work 5 days a week or whatever...I'm not judging those people. I don't care what choices others make for themselves.

Most parents do a better job of raising their children than daycares do. I don't have a scientific study to cite, because there is no magic formula to raising kids that aren't unstable whiny babies, but that's what I think.

Sorry if you took my original statement the wrong way....but everything offends someone nowadays it seems so I'm not shocked that someone would take offense to someone else thinking it'd be better for kids to spend more time with their parents than in daycares.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Most parents do a better job of raising their children than daycares do.

It's saying things like this that drives posters nuts. You have no idea that's true.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

I've observed some parents who both work that spend enormous amounts of time with their children in the evenings and on weekends. Their social life is largely child-centered. While some mothers who brag about how they don't work are off to some social event with the other "stay at home" moms during the day and other events at night and have all those oh-so-special social events on the weekend and actually spend far less time with their children.
Don't inject Lysol.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Geezer wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:22 pm Most parents do a better job of raising their children than daycares do.

It's saying things like this that drives posters nuts. You have no idea that's true.
Exactly.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:25 am Seahawk just bashed another woman she's never met and called her a liar because she doesn't agree with her views.

Holy fuck. That sounds an awful lot like the people she claims to hate.
Somehow, 4 posts to rail at me to say that I was wrong demonstrates exactly what I guessed about you and that poor woman that had to put up with you. You can't let it go when a female disagrees with you--ever.

Women are acculturated from early childhood to pick up on feelings. And any woman that meets you would know immediately that you can't tolerate a woman disagreeing with your views and would say whatever didn't conflict with you. Especially if you were in some position that could affect her workplace. As for lying, I don't believe that women think of accommodating irrational men as out and out prevarication.

And you are irrational. 4 ranting posts.
Don't inject Lysol.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

lobster wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:33 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:43 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am

Interesting. Where do you live? If you don't mind me asking.

Because most of the women I am around aren't like the pussy hat wearers.

I'm helping with coverage at a smaller rural bank that my company owns today. The nice lady I'm working with (early 40s with 2 HS aged kids) was just talking about that she thinks what's wrong with people today is that mothers aren't raising the kids, daycares are.. and that she prefers the traditional lifestyle of her working part time so that she can be there to raise her kids, cook dinner for her family, and support her family in various ways....while her husband works full time and provides most of the financial strength for their family.

So I think it's all about the area and individual that shapes their views.
I work in academia, where most women have chopped off all their hair, gained a ton of weight, taken to wearing Dowdy the Clown-esqe muumuus, and have chosen to substitute garish earrings and outrageous eyeglasses for traditional emblems of attractiveness (Peacocking is what it would be called in men; not sure what you would call it in women).

It is ironic because, while they simultaneously reject the things that would make them attractive to men, they spend most of their time lamenting the fact that those same horrible men don't notice them or only view them in a professional context. They hate men for being men, but they also hate them for not finding them attractive. It is a sociological Gordian knot.
Sad but true.
Unfuckingbelievable. Women are just fine as long as they look and act the way you want them to.

JFC.
Defense. Rebounds.