G-League -To help eliminate shoe trials?

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: G-League -To help eliminate shoe trials?

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Should help...but as long as Adidas is on a KU jersey they will have incentive to attract the best possible players in college hoops to their sponsored schools. It'll just be less talented kids getting less money.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Did they come up with the 125k number because Preston got 100K?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:00 pm Should help...but as long as Adidas is on a KU jersey they will have incentive to attract the best possible players in college hoops to their sponsored schools. It'll just be less talented kids getting less money.
There will come a point where the money/threat of punishment won't be worth it.
Deleted User 75

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:02 pm Did they come up with the 125k number because Preston got 100K?
I'm assuming it's around the max that the players are getting to go to a given school. The market has determined 100k is about max for a player it sounds like.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Nice fucking job, NCAA. Assuming there's one slot per G League team for this program, you've just chased about a quarter of the top-100 players every single year out of college basketball.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

Great thread title Gutter
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:32 pm Nice fucking job, NCAA. Assuming there's one slot per G League team for this program, you've just chased about a quarter of the top-100 players every single year out of college basketball.
Calipari said yesterday the G league is bad for college basketball and he’s right. The kids don’t make it in 2 years they are roadkill.
Last edited by Kyblueblood on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 75

Kyblueblood wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:23 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:32 pm Nice fucking job, NCAA. Assuming there's one slot per G League team for this program, you've just chased about a quarter of the top-100 players every single year out of college basketball.
Calipari said yesterday the G league is bad for college basketball and he’s right. The kids don’t make it in 2 years they are roadkill.
Plus there is no incentive for team ball. It's every man for himself.
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

If an Embiid, Wiggins,Jackson,and others had done this deal they wouldn’t be in the G league long.
Why should they have to then play 4 years on a rookie scale? They are ripped off millions of what they are worth by NBA standards. A year in the g-league going to take off a year of the rookie contract? The billionaires and millionaires need a new NBA contract that addresses some of these issues.
Last edited by Kyblueblood on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Glad the one-and-done will basically be done.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the Jackson's, Wiggins', Embiid's of the program. But I love the Mason's, Graham's, Collins', Aldrich's of the program even more.

I didn't really see the limitations as far as roster spots on each G-League team and whatnot. But we are likely talking about maybe only the top 20 guys. Still plenty of talent and guys who can develop into top NBA guys after 3-4 years in college ball.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 pm Glad the one-and-done will basically be done.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the Jackson's, Wiggins', Embiid's of the program. But I love the Mason's, Graham's, Collins', Aldrich's of the program even more.

I didn't really see the limitations as far as roster spots on each G-League team and whatnot. But we are likely talking about maybe only the top 20 guys. Still plenty of talent and guys who can develop into top NBA guys after 3-4 years in college ball.
But Woj brought up a good point on twitter. He doesn't think there will be a lot of action going this route. Some guys will choose G-League but most will choose college ball.

Paraphrased.. "G-League is full of early flights, small gyms, long bus rides. NCAA has exposure, packed arenas, chartered flights and "You'll get paid there too""
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I've seen that sentiment a few different places. A few thoughts:

1. I don't think "you'll get paid [to go to college], too" will hold true for a few years at least. I think the investigation/trials will certainly have a chilling effect on that.

2. I agree that, in pretty much every way besides short-term money, college will remain the more desirable path. Money is the most powerful motivator out there, though, so I don't think it will be rare for guys to go this route. I would guess that, if every G League team gets a single spot per year, all will be taken.

3. That we're even having a conversation about a truly viable alternative to college ball for a kid with NBA aspirations is a massive failure by the NCAA and its member institutions and coaches.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it's fantastic.
No more Prestons and Cliffs.
More Devontes and Masons.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:04 pm I think it's fantastic.
I would not confidently say that a single player at KU under Roy or Bill that played in the NBA would have passed the true amateur test. I think you're incredibly naive if you think the G League thing threatens only "problem" youths that you have disliked.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think we'll be fine.
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

Calipari went on a rant and said the NCAA and college basketball have about 2 years to get this right.
You will have kids just give up on HS classes or even by the 7th grade who will say they are “going to the G-Lesgue and getting paid.then the NBA”. Most wont make it after 2 years then what?
He advocated the NBA should then pay for college. Make the kid sit out a year then play. Give them something to fall back on. The fear of players being roadkill with no future is the worry.
The NCAA could let these same players profit off their likeness and the kid gets paid plus and education, then the NBA, skipping the G-league.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

One year of college is nothing to fall back on. Now say 3 or 4 years of college, and now we're talking.

At some point, these MEN will have to figure out what they want to do with life. Either be serious about school to graduate even if professional athletic career doesn't pan out, or be a guy playing noonball at the local Y because they have nothing better to do and no college degree to go get a real job.

I don't believe this rule will have any affect on what path they take. Cal needs to stop preaching so much about school. He is all about getting guys to the league at all costs. There are some direct quotes from him on that. He doesn't give a damn about their education until they come back later to finish their degree.

The NCAA needs to adopt the baseball guidelines. Go pro out of high school, or stay in school for 3 years.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I'm not smart enough to know if this is fantastic or not fantastic. But I do agree with more Grahams and Masons and Svi's and Lucas's and Reeds and Morningstars and Kauns and Jacksons and Collins and Hinrichs and less Dealio's and Alexanders and Prestons and Desosos and Selby's.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 75

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:31 am
I'm not smart enough to know if this is fantastic or not fantastic. But I do agree with more Grahams and Masons and Svi's and Lucas's and Reeds and Morningstars and Kauns and Jacksons and Collins and Hinrichs and less Dealio's and Alexanders and Prestons and Desosos and Selby's.
Not sure I'd unknowingly lump Sherron in the 1st group. He was a McDs AA. He'd be a toss up in my mind.