Shoe money trial

Kansas Basketball.
The Brakeman

Re: Shoe money trial

Post by The Brakeman »

hartjack8 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:22 pm I'll help Illinioswildcats and answer for him.

The FBI actually should have absolutely no evidence that KU or its employees are involved. If it did their whole case would be moot.
Not moot, but, according to Department of Justice prosecutorial standards, it would have been an ethical violation to prosecute the case just concluded.
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

Hindsight is 20/20 but it probably wasn’t too smart of Self to sit with Grassnola and Gatto at his HOF dinner. Going out with his wife and Grassnola and his to dinner. Close relationship. Technically, Grassnola isn’t an Adidas employee, more or less a contract “bag man”. Hopefully it blows over. Nothing happens until the next trials are over.
Worst thing to do is self impose penalties like Louisville did.
Last edited by Kyblueblood on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

Kyblueblood wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:49 pm Hindsight is 20/20 but it probably wasn’t too smart of Self to sit with Grassnola and Gatto at his HOF dinner. Going out with his wife and Grassnola and his to dinner. Close relationship. Technically, Grassnola isn’t an Adidas employee, more or less a contract “bag man”. Hopefully it blows over. Nothing happens until the next trials are over.
Worst thing to do is self impose penalties like Louisville did.
Well, Self did have a guy (who I happen to like a lot) that was busted multiple times (leading to vacated wins, probation, and post season ban/s) by the NCAA do his introduction so maybe he felt it was in keeping to have those guys sitting with him?

I'll spare people the effort -
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

The Brakeman wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:37 pm
hartjack8 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:22 pm I'll help Illinioswildcats and answer for him.

The FBI actually should have absolutely no evidence that KU or its employees are involved. If it did their whole case would be moot.
Not moot, but, according to Department of Justice prosecutorial standards, it would have been an ethical violation to prosecute the case just concluded.
Well said my friend. Now it should also be noted that defense was privy to all the FBI evidence pertaining to this case. Which would lead one to believe that this is all there is....pertaining to Kansas.

The outcome of this proceeding will have ramifications. Not guilty would mean the schools were not defrauded, which I personally believe is the case.

The other hand is guilty which would mean the FBI has proven that the schools have been defrauded which would put the NCAA in a major bind. Good luck with that investigation. There is the recent outcome of the North Carolina investigation that leads me to believe the NCAA is going to tread very carefully with this.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

JFC Gutter
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

I think the trial and federal laws are separate from rules of the NCAA. The trial could go either way and it wouldn’t matter. The evidence is the evidence. Nothing may happen or at worst Kurt Townsend may have to go to save face going forward.
Let DeSousa pay back the 2500, sit a few games. If they declare him ineligible, KU is deep enough to recover.
Last edited by Kyblueblood on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Some odd remind me where Zona stands with the whole thing about their coach allegedly caught on tape discussing cash for Ayton?
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Self and Kansas with their own segment on "high noon"...face palm.

Headline: Kansas coach "requested" Adidas pay SDS $20k.

I hadn't seen that yet. Sensational reporting? Fake news?
Deleted User 75

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:46 pm Some odd remind me where Zona stands with the whole thing about their coach allegedly caught on tape discussing cash for Ayton?
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... estigation

That's the story for refresher...
Deleted User 75

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Ugh. Get our name off the news. Tome for some other names to come up.
Just Ledoux it
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:45 pm http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... -bill-self

New on ESPN today it looks like.
He’s firing a shot at KU and Duke with the possible selective enforcement. Is Nike doing business differently? Calipari should have been the next Gotti.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:29 pm Self and Kansas with their own segment on "high noon"...face palm.

Merl Code's lawyer made that claim in his closing argument to try to show that since the schools were involved that they knew and since they knew, they weren't defrauded and since they weren't defrauded the fraud charges were bunk.

I am not a lawyer but if I have any actual EVIDENCE that supported that claim then you can bet I would have submitted it as part of my client's defense. But since that did not occur I tend to believe that his claim is just an attempt to muddy the waters to create doubt in an effort to clear his client.
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

We don’t know what the judge would allow. Could the NCAA discover more? Do they want to? If they don’t change the NCAA is history.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Kyblueblood wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:15 pm We don’t know what the judge would allow. Could the NCAA discover more? Do they want to? If they don’t change the NCAA is history.
The ncaa does not have subpoena power. No one has to tell them anything.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

You should invest in some valium.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

twocoach wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:11 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:29 pm Self and Kansas with their own segment on "high noon"...face palm.

Merl Code's lawyer made that claim in his closing argument to try to show that since the schools were involved that they knew and since they knew, they weren't defrauded and since they weren't defrauded the fraud charges were bunk.

I am not a lawyer but if I have any actual EVIDENCE that supported that claim then you can bet I would have submitted it as part of my client's defense. But since that did not occur I tend to believe that his claim is just an attempt to muddy the waters to create doubt in an effort to clear his client.
Bingo.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

My doctor played basketball at TCU in the 80s, and he told me he liked Self, because he’s not just a good coach but “he’s a good man.” I agree.

Saying KU is not a victim even if they didn’t know is false, since it potentially sets them up for sanctions by a capricious NCAA.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Deleted User 75

Self knowing about players getting paid doesn't make him not a "good man".
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

He knew Billy Preston got paid.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.