pdub
Site Admin

Re: BBQ

Post by pdub »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Welp, that was ridiculous.

Didn’t realize it’s a Korean bbq joint where you grill it on your own. Seven drunk idiots All trying to cook dinner on the same little grill about a foot wide. We show up with a big squad of folks who had all been pregaming. The place is a party atmosphere with some Asian techno music blasting. We’re seated and give drink orders. Beers take forever to come out and we have to ask again. Suddenly several rounds of soju appear and we’re all doing shots. Put in food order but still no beers. Everybody’s wasted when we get a bunch of raw meats. I’m starving and kinda wish I just got a big plate of prepared food to smash, but the experience is cool. Now a bunch of drunk folks are fighting for little bites of grilled meats. My brother gets up to go throw a tantrum to the bartender about the beers. His friend is trying to be the alpha on the grill but too hammered. Burns a bunch of baby octopus and the whole room fills with smoke. I use my elite wingspan to reach across the table and tend the grill going forward. Finally, beers on the house! Brother’s drunk friends are apparently done eating and start dancing to the techno. I take the chance to capitalize on the open grill and cook myself a bunch of bulgogi. Finally feeling full. I sit back and sip my beer and think, man next time we should just go get real bbq.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

Now go to a hot pot place and report back.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So the hot pot place. Long wait for a table but the stereo is blasting “back that ass up” and the bar promptly served beers.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:30 pm I smoked the Thanksgiving turkey last year.
It was a hit.
We're hosting again.
Consider the bird smoked.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I made smoked turkey for years. This year, it seems we are headed to the kid's house in Minnesota where she will be doing the cooking.

I may have to throw one on the smoker a different time.
Defense. Rebounds.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

There’s a lot of birds I haven’t eaten: hummingbirds, parrots, those birds with the mating dance they learned at Studio 54.

But of all the birds I have eaten, turkey is by far the worst. I eat it one day a year and that’s because of peer pressure.

Though my cousin prepares the turkey now and he smokes it and it’s much better that way than baked.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i think we’ll just do a turkey breast this year...may not even go with the smoker, and go crock-pot style instead

one of these years, just for shits and giggliest, i wanna do a turducken
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh man.

Hot pot was sooo so good. My brother’s Sichuan friend doesn’t think this place’s spicy broth is spicy enough, so he brought his own extra spices to kick it up. It turned the broth into this blood red dragon’s breath of a liquid that, while delicious, is now doing things to me that only 85 would post about.

But yeah, I love turkey, and eat some variation of a turkey sammich more days than not.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Trustee wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:45 am There’s a lot of birds I haven’t eaten: hummingbirds, parrots, those birds with the mating dance they learned at Studio 54.

But of all the birds I have eaten, turkey is by far the worst. I eat it one day a year and that’s because of peer pressure.

Though my cousin prepares the turkey now and he smokes it and it’s much better that way than baked.
My brother from another mother.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

You went to hot pot? That’s awesome!

I paid an unsmall sum so my gf and I could cook our own meal at a restaurant run by unhelpful 20-year-olds with stupid haircuts. We said it was our first time so “The iPad only lets you order 5 items before it locks you out for 3 minutes” or “You should order meats last despite them being listed first in the iPad” would’ve been helpful.

And it was a hot day. I’d just started to cool down after a cold shower in a no-AC apartment, then we go hunch over boiling water and I couldn’t wear my glasses cuz they fogged. I got petulant. The girlfriend was correct in being unimpressed with me.

Food was alright. I mixed up a killer dipping sauce.

Re:turkey...I believe there’s a national psychosis surrounding that bird. I’ve had a thousand great meals—at friends’ houses, at holes in the wall where you pay with a ten and get change, and at places you’d find in the Michelin book—and none of them, outside of T-day, had turkey on the menu.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 am Oh man.

Hot pot was sooo so good. My brother’s Sichuan friend doesn’t think this place’s spicy broth is spicy enough, so he brought his own extra spices to kick it up. It turned the broth into this blood red dragon’s breath of a liquid that, while delicious, is now doing things to me that only 85 would post about.

But yeah, I love turkey, and eat some variation of a turkey sammich more days than not.
Bourdain has an article about eating hot pot in Sichuan. It seems that everybody pays.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh yeah.

Trustee, what kinda dipping sauce did you mix? Ketchup and mayonnaise?

I’m completing this nice tour of Asia. So far Thai noodles, Korean bbq, Japanese ramen, hot pot, pho. Still supposed to do some place where they cook you a whole duck, Burmese, and maybe sushi.

So far the Japanese was the best.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Check out dim sum if you get a chance. Eye-talian in North Beach is pretty good too.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah went to dim sum last time I was here and it was great.

Funny you mention north beach cuz we’re going to the Olive Garden there for dinner!
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Luigi's!! . . . if it's still on Columbus.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:14 pm Oh yeah.

Trustee, what kinda dipping sauce did you mix? Ketchup and mayonnaise?
Well, it was just ketchup. It had sorta separated cuz they never use it so I mixed it up. Little bit of rice noodle, daikon and wagyu with ketchup on it? Bam!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:15 am i think we’ll just do a turkey breast this year...may not even go with the smoker, and go crock-pot style instead

one of these years, just for shits and giggliest, i wanna do a turducken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Pork shoulder and some chicken thighs going in the smoker this afternoon.

Got some rice for me and ChalkRocker, and also some Mac and cheese and some Brussels sprouts.

Damn, I’m hungry now. Might have to just fire it up sooner than later