2019 NFL Season

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:01 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:00 am Garrett and Rudolph should be glad the the hit wear with the padding at bottom of helmet. If that was the crown of the helmet, Rudolph’s skull could have split open.

Garrett should be gone rest of season.
Agree with the sentiment, but "rest of the season" is always too arbitrary. Pick a number of games (I'm good with 16!) and if it carries over, it carries over.
Yeah that’s a good point. I’d say the NFL says 10. I’m too lazy to check but has there ever been a suspension in the NFL that carried over to another league year? I always feel like the NFL says remainder of year late in season like this..
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

That's far enough outside of the scope that I wouldn't criticize if charges were pressed/explored.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I'm calling Garrett 8 games, Pouncey 4 games, Rudolph 1 game.
Garrett isn't a bad guy with a reputation. He just lost it.
No one talking about what Pouncey did. Dude threw a shit load of punches and kicked Garrett in the head.
Rudolph instigated it. Tried to rip off Garrett's helmet and then kicked him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PMHlURlxus
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

This whole thing makes me lol for real.

Oh, the outrage!
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Well that was a TNF game for the ages and I'm not talking about the play on the field. Goodness was that awful and a snooze fest.
Wow. Garrett snapped and holy shit is he going to pay for it. National TV and essentially the last play of the game. Wow. Whatever is coming his way he earned it.
Holidaysmore - 2005
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

You can tell me I'm an idiot, but I really don't think this is as big a deal as everyone is making it. At the end of the clip the announcer is saying "This is one of the worst things I've ever seen".... Someone said he could've killed Rudolph.... seems a bit extreme. It didn't look life threatening or brutal like I've seen it described by a ton of people. He hit him in the head.

Should he have done it? No. Was Rudolph instigating and also kind of asking to be hit? Yes.

Should we be shocked and outraged by it? I really don't think so.

I feel like a 2-4 game suspension is plenty for it, and I agree Rudolph and Pouncey should be suspended as well - maybe even Ogunjobi.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:42 am That's far enough outside of the scope that I wouldn't criticize if charges were pressed/explored.
If this isn't over the line, where's the line?

I think "uses equipment for violence outside the scope of the equipment's use in the sport" is a fine standard.

I guess the hard part is (and we can argue about whether it should be) beanballs in baseball (where intent is obvious to the naked eye but perhaps impossible to prove, and where the violence does occur in the course of play).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

This was honestly the closest thing that people have seen to a crime on a football field.

Someone called it worst than the Malace in the Palace with Artest, O'Neal and others. I wouldn't go that far, but a good comparison for this is multiple hockey incidents. Guys have been arrested for assault for using their stick as a weapon, this isn't that much different.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

JayhawkInIowa726 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:27 am You can tell me I'm an idiot, but I really don't think this is as big a deal as everyone is making it. At the end of the clip the announcer is saying "This is one of the worst things I've ever seen".... Someone said he could've killed Rudolph.... seems a bit extreme. It didn't look life threatening or brutal like I've seen it described by a ton of people. He hit him in the head.
This could have easily split or crushed his skull. A player with that strength swinging someone heavy as hell like that does some damage.

This is the wrong take to have in this instance, because it could have done some serious damage.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:27 am This was honestly the closest thing that people have seen to a crime on a football field.

Someone called it worst than the Malace in the Palace with Artest, O'Neal and others. I wouldn't go that far, but a good comparison for this is multiple hockey incidents. Guys have been arrested for assault for using their stick as a weapon, this isn't that much different.
Garrett may hold two league records when he's done: most time spent suspended for a single on-field incident; and he was the only guy to ever take off his helmet and try to brain somebody.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Football fans should be damn thankful that Rudolph got hit with the padding around the edge of the helmet. Because if it was a direct hit, Rudolph could still be in hospital and football would decline even more in participation than it is right now.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Take it out of the context of sports: a helmet weighs 6 pounds or more at that level/size. Hit someone in the head with that at your workplace and see how long before the police are involved.

There is obviously invited contact in sports, but that's far outside of what is allowable and fathomable.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:50 am Take it out of the context of sports: a helmet weighs 6 pounds or more at that level/size. Hit someone in the head with that at your workplace and see how long before the police are involved.

There is obviously invited contact in sports, but that's far outside of what is allowable and fathomable.
And now factor in the fact that the 6 pound helmet was being swung by a guy that bench 225 pounds 33 times at the NFL Combine. A regular human could kill someone by bashing them in the head with a 6 pound object; this could have gone much worse than it did.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:50 am Take it out of the context of sports: a helmet weighs 6 pounds or more at that level/size. Hit someone in the head with that at your workplace and see how long before the police are involved.

Since I guess I'm just doing 90s movie quotes in this thread: did you know the human head weighs ten pounds?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I wonder if Myles even realized what he was doing. This doesn't seem premeditated. I'm sure he was so pissed he blacked out and swung. Crazy.

Malace in the Palace is still unrivaled as far as crazy sports moment I have watched live on TV. That was riveting. Completely skipped a huge house party that night and stayed in the dorms and watched the replay over and over.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Garrett suspended without pay for at least the rest of the season, plus playoffs. Could go into next year.

Pouncey suspended for 3 games and fined (That'll be reduced)

Ogunjobi the Cleveland tool that blindsided a helmetless Rudolph suspended one game and fined.

Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

So you can throw multiple haymakers and kick a guy in the head and that only get's you a 3 game suspension and if you "shove" (NFL's word) someone from behind you get 1 game?
Seems disproportionate to me.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

You have to figure that eventually Rudolph, at the minimum will get fined.
Holidaysmore - 2005
colbond

Post by colbond »

Indefinite suspension. The rest of 2019 at a minimum.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/280 ... 3-game-ban
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I mean, I think Pouncey shouldn't get suspended at all because he was reacting to what Garrett did.

The other douche was not reacting to anything other than seeing a QB who just went after his teammate standing there without a helmet on and back to him.

I would flip the suspensions if anything.