Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
ChalkRocker

Re: Totally random thread

Post by ChalkRocker »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:27 pm

But on some primordial level, I find more reward in the valleys than the peaks.

Why labor to the top of the mountain when life relies on the rivers at the bottom?

Oh, you're good.

You're very good.

Had me going there.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I, (and several other people in my family), suddenly need to send a bunch of photos to a business so they can make a slide show out of them to show publicly. My pictures are stored on my Mac computer. (Not sure if "Mac" matters, but whatever...). I might be overly cautious, but I was told a long time ago that forwarding photos directly from your computer by email created a conduit for someone to possibly enter your computer. Is that true, or am I whack? That's why I have used services like Imgur, etc. to host photos, before posting them online. But, it would sure be easier if I could just go to my photos on my computer and pick 20 - 30 of them and send them in an email, if that's not a dumb thing to do. Uploading them to Imgur and then sending them would take longer, but I'll do it if that's wiser.

Any insight you can give will be appreciated.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

maybe dropping them in a zipped file would be more secure?

if you’ve got gmail, you might be able to share them more securely via google drive?

i honestly don’t know...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Random thought this morning. Might ruffle some feathers.

Sitting here flipping through the channels, watching part of the Indian National Finals Rodeo. Not a bad competition, not great, but not bad. As I watch these young men and women compete on their horses with western saddles, in cowboy hats, wranglers, boots and spurs ( yes I'm aware we stole rodeo from the Mexican vaqueros. But its become a pretty American thing. Bear with me here) I got to wondering how much of a shitstorm it would cause if a bunch if white dudes started a competition of drums and honor songs and dance dressed in traditional native headdresses and gear like they do at powwow competitions.

Maybe cultural appropriation should be seen as a sign of respect instead of disrespect? Imitation is the highest form of flattery?
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

They should wear helmets.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

TDub wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:46 pm Random thought this morning. Might ruffle some feathers.

Sitting here flipping through the channels, watching part of the Indian National Finals Rodeo. Not a bad competition, not great, but not bad. As I watch these young men and women compete on their horses with western saddles, in cowboy hats, wranglers, boots and spurs ( yes I'm aware we stole rodeo from the Mexican vaqueros. But its become a pretty American thing. Bear with me here) I got to wondering how much of a shitstorm it would cause if a bunch if white dudes started a competition of drums and honor songs and dance dressed in traditional native headdresses and gear like they do at powwow competitions.

Maybe cultural appropriation should be seen as a sign of respect instead of disrespect? Imitation is the highest form of flattery?
You know what we really need? A White History Month or a Straight Pride Parade. #AllLivesMatter
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I dont think that's relative here chickn but good job
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Maybe I should clarify.

I'm not against Indians competing in Rodeo. It's just odd to me to have an "Indian only" event. Why not just compete at the normal events?

Hence the comparison to white guy powwow. Take something from another culture and then say "us only" at the event. It's weird to me.
Just Ledoux it
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

TDub wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:01 pm I dont think that's relative here chickn but good job
No, I get it. I was just wondering how much of a shitstorm it would cause if a bunch if straight dudes started a parade like Gay people do during Pride Month. I mean, why don't gay people just march at normal events?

Shit storm I tell ya!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Except theres not a normal sexual orientation parade. Nor is that relevant again. But keep trying, you're doin gods work
Just Ledoux it
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TDub wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:46 pm Random thought this morning. Might ruffle some feathers.

Better watch it with that stuff. Before you know it, Chiknbut but will . . . Oh, never mind.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

It won't be long before cowboy westerns are considered "racist" and "white supremacist". But you can bet anything whites do to celebrate another culture is considered "offensive".

I've said since I was a teenager that black history month is not the way the go about it. Blacks are part of America's history, therefore, their history should just be taught as American history. All these labels to divide everyone just ends up causing more harm, ironically.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

lobster wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:00 pm It won't be long before cowboy westerns are considered "racist" and "white supremacist". But you can bet anything whites do to celebrate another culture is considered "offensive".

I've said since I was a teenager that black history month is not the way the go about it. Blacks are part of America's history, therefore, their history should just be taught as American history. All these labels to divide everyone just ends up causing more harm, ironically.
if you mean western films, many if not most of the oldies (john wayne and clint eastwood) are racist...and i say this as someone who grew up watching them and still enjoys them from time to time

when the history books are written by whitey’s, it is perhaps necessary to commemorate the those whose lives and histories have been...um...white-washed...
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

I agree, but let's just teach as American history.

I can speak more freely on this as one of my Grandma's was a Native American Indian.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

lobster wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:19 pm I agree, but let's just teach as American history.

I can speak more freely on this as one of my Grandma's was a Native American Indian.
That’s the whole issue. Today, movies can’t be actual history; they have to be fictional versions that push a socially-acceptable narrative, even if it makes the story ridiculous, boring, intellectually insulting, and generally unwatchable. Can’t have Hollywood committing thought crimes.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Bullshit.

Pity party for the white man.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Geezer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:47 pm Bullshit.

Pity party for the white man.
History is BS?!? Sounds like someone else is having the pity party to me.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:11 pm
lobster wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:19 pm I agree, but let's just teach as American history.

That’s the whole issue. Today, movies can’t be actual history; they have to be fictional versions that push a socially-acceptable narrative, even if it makes the story ridiculous, boring, intellectually insulting, and generally unwatchable. Can’t have Hollywood committing thought crimes.
^^^

Who hasn't learned everything they need to know about the history of the old west watching Clint Eastwood movies?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Native American Grandma?

but I thought that dude was Jewish?