2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
UnholyLivingDead

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

His contract was up at the end of the month and it makes sense that the new head coach wouldn't re-up his deal. Sounds like that was the case with Bowen as well. These are losses that Miles probably had accounted for. Plus Hull's recruiting returns hadn't been very strong the last couple cycles anyway.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This will sounds like sour grapes, and it's not, because Hull was great. But, guys like Hull are very replaceable. Every program has a Hull. And, it seemed just a matter of time.

Keeping Jones already made it a win for the staff offseason.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:07 pm This will sounds like sour grapes, and it's not, because Hull was great. But, guys like Hull are very replaceable. Every program has a Hull. And, it seemed just a matter of time.

Keeping Jones already made it a win for the staff offseason.
So true on everything. Especially the Jones part.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Bingo, CnB. On Beaty’s staff he was unreplaceable because he was the only guy who could consistently get guys that others couldn’t. As such he outpaced everyone else and was given a title and pay bump. Once Miles arrived with Drake, Jones, etc he became just another assistant and once you factor in the fact that he was getting paid much higher than everyone else and his contract was up it was time to move on.
Holidaysmore - 2005
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Quite a few people were worried when Reggie Mitchell left...but then he was forgotten about pretty quickly; I'm sure this will be very similar.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:56 am Quite a few people were worried when Reggie Mitchell left...but then he was forgotten about pretty quickly; I'm sure this will be very similar.
Good point. Like CNB said, Jones is the top guy. Keeping him was huge. KU is going back to Texas instead of hitting Louisiana as hard as they did. They'll still get guys because of Chevis Jackson and Les. But they are going to hit the south hard. Jones in Texas, Dearmon in Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi, Jackson and Les in Louisiana, Florida and Les tries to get the Kansas kids, DJ Eliot likes to hit Oklahoma. KU is covered in all their main places.

They'll be fine.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

What I like about Les is that he's not afraid to get guys at a lower level to come in and be on his staff. If you can coach, you can coach, doesn't matter the level.

Good article out of the guys at Football Scoop...

https://footballscoop.com/news/source-k ... -football/

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If it wasn't clear, I was making a vague reference to Reggie Mitchell in my last post.

Mitchell and Hull will ALWAYS have a job, but you'll see no vertical movement from them. It's designed that way and they love it.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Good ol' Reggie Mitchell. To back up your points I had completely forgotten that guy. He made it through like four or five staff changes it seemed.

On the ride home from work yesterday I was listening to 810 and they had Blair Kerkhoff on as I'm assuming the KU 'expert' and it was awful. I've heard better insight into KU on this board. A round about way to say keep up the good work. The better days for KU football are coming.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Reggie had KU ties, so he'll always come back around.

I wouldn't be shocked if Reggie coached for KU again. I wouldn't be shocked if Hull coached for KU again. I wouldn't be shocked if Hull had multiples stints with Tulane, aTm or even LSU.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:00 am On the ride home from work yesterday I was listening to 810 and they had Blair Kerkhoff on as I'm assuming the KU 'expert' and it was awful. I've heard better insight into KU on this board. A round about way to say keep up the good work. The better days for KU football are coming.
Yeah a lot of people treat Blair as the college guy when they can't get a hold of anyone else. But they need something to fill the time. And Blair is somewhat connected with most things, but he struggles in the details. He is a big picture guy, not a guy to talk to about staffs and all that.

Newell must have been tied up.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:07 am Reggie had KU ties, so he'll always come back around.

I wouldn't be shocked if Reggie coached for KU again. I wouldn't be shocked if Hull coached for KU again. I wouldn't be shocked if Hull had multiples stints with Tulane, aTm or even LSU.
Man, remembering Reggie. He did WORK in Illinois, St Louis, Ohio and Michigan. He did a great job in those areas.

Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

wrong Thread. My bad
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Sounds like Hull is heading to Hawaii.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

Hull's replacement...

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2020/feb/ ... rbs-coach/

I am not so sure about this hire. Special teams and running back coach? What am I missing? I understand he might know Dearmon's offense but not sure how much with only a year or two.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

nu_bronco wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:44 pm Hull's replacement...

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2020/feb/ ... rbs-coach/

I am not so sure about this hire. Special teams and running back coach? What am I missing? I understand he might know Dearmon's offense but not sure how much with only a year or two.
Could very well be to give BD a right hand man to groom. Future OC, if you will.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Winner winner CNB.

Dearmon is on schedule to be the HC from most things we’ve seen. He’s hand picking guys to be on the offensive staff.

Wallace is a guy of high character and intelligent. Not often do you go from Bethel OC (under Dearmon) to a D1 positional Coach. He seems to have “IT”

nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

I think you might be confusing the two recent hires. From KUsports.com story, Wallace was a receivers coach and football operations guy. He was last at Air Force as a tight end coach. Never an OC. How this make him a good choice for special teams is what I don't understand. I understand Dearmon wanting to get some of 'his' guys. Just think this might be a stretch. I hope I am dead wrong.

Quote from the link....
Wallace, who will also become KU’s special teams coordinator, coached tight ends at Air Force in 2019. The year before that he served as the receivers coach and director of football operations at Bethel, when Dearmon was the head coach for the high-scoring NAIA program.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ST and RB's are the positions you give new guys or your recruiter-only guys.

The lack of ST experience is no issue for me.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

nu_bronco wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 am I think you might be confusing the two recent hires. From KUsports.com story, Wallace was a receivers coach and football operations guy. He was last at Air Force as a tight end coach. Never an OC. How this make him a good choice for special teams is what I don't understand. I understand Dearmon wanting to get some of 'his' guys. Just think this might be a stretch. I hope I am dead wrong.

Quote from the link....
Wallace, who will also become KU’s special teams coordinator, coached tight ends at Air Force in 2019. The year before that he served as the receivers coach and director of football operations at Bethel, when Dearmon was the head coach for the high-scoring NAIA program.
You are right. I did mistake them. The new defensive analyst was the OC at Bethel.

But regardless, he's a fast mover up the coaching world.