Lance Leipold

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Lance Leipold

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Both of those guys seem like complete idiots.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:49 amthat Buffalo guy throw shade on Leipold.
You have an internet blog writer for Buffalo that clearly looks down his nose at KU football, so much so that he has convinced himself, and now trying to convince others, that Turner Gill is this amazing football coach.

It then becomes a tough pill to swallow that not once, but twice in the past decade-ish that the awful KU football program has served him some direct evidence that this awful KU football job is still more desirable than Buffalo.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

DJ Eliot is still tweeting about the Spring Game despite obviously being told that he wouldn't be retained...seems like a classy dude.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yep. That and he’s making himself known more through Twitter. Starting his next job interview through there
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Been listening to quite a few interviews of people who covered Leipold at Buffalo and they are all saying the same thing. Meat and potatoes. What you see is what you get. Very direct but guarded as well during interviews. But he likes to find common ground with almost anyone he talks with off the record. Talks about family a lot, favorite places to travel, etc.

There isn't much video of him during practice, but from all accounts he grinds on the details. Shane Jackson with LJW had a good piece on the new OC. Had an hour long coaching clinic video. It was really good for football nerds like me. Biggest thing he sets forth is that you will get 80% of your offensive production from 20% of your full playbook. So you better be really good at that 20% and that's what they spend a lot of time on. And you see that with their plays. They run the same play a lot, just with slight variations of it and it works tremendously well.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I didn't know this about Leipold until after the hire, but it sounds like he is the CEO-type that some wanted. Hands off 95%ish of the coaching duties to the staff. Fine with that, and makes perfect sense why he'd bring the guys he trusts with him.

I imagine the job is going to be as we all suspected: program stability and football coaching will be there, big question is if they can recruit and develop to this level. And we need some luck.
UnholyLivingDead

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 am Been listening to quite a few interviews of people who covered Leipold at Buffalo and they are all saying the same thing. Meat and potatoes. What you see is what you get. Very direct but guarded as well during interviews. But he likes to find common ground with almost anyone he talks with off the record. Talks about family a lot, favorite places to travel, etc.
In other words, the exact type of coach we've needed since Turner Gill. I think some people in charge thought that's what we were getting with David Beaty.
Last edited by UnholyLivingDead on Wed May 05, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnholyLivingDead

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 am Biggest thing he sets forth is that you will get 80% of your offensive production from 20% of your full playbook. So you better be really good at that 20% and that's what they spend a lot of time on. And you see that with their plays. They run the same play a lot, just with slight variations of it and it works tremendously well.
This is exactly how we played under Mark Mangino when Nick Quartaro and Ed Warriner were here. I'm good with that concept.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not that we were trying to emulate the hire, but it does have a little Snyder at Kansas State feel.

Vanilla program, vanilla football. But, competitive.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:02 am I didn't know this about Leipold until after the hire, but it sounds like he is the CEO-type that some wanted. Hands off 95%ish of the coaching duties to the staff. Fine with that, and makes perfect sense why he'd bring the guys he trusts with him.

I imagine the job is going to be as we all suspected: program stability and football coaching will be there, big question is if they can recruit and develop to this level. And we need some luck.
Yes, yes and yes. The development is obviously there. KU just needs a bunch of 3 stars to make it work. Don't need 4 star guys, although they are nice to have. Just 3 star guys, redshirt them, develop them into All Big 12 performs by their junior/senior years.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:13 am Not that we were trying to emulate the hire, but it does have a little Snyder at Kansas State feel.

Vanilla program, vanilla football. But, competitive.
I hate the comparison because of who it is, but it is exactly what it is shaping up to be. Boring coach, more boring offense, but effective as shit and develops the fuck outta players, especially the PWO that kstate killed KU with for years.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

And let's say we get back to respectability, even throwing in an 8-9 win season in there, we are much better equipped to not have to settle for a Ron Prince or Chris Klieman.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:02 am I didn't know this about Leipold until after the hire, but it sounds like he is the CEO-type that some wanted. Hands off 95%ish of the coaching duties to the staff. Fine with that, and makes perfect sense why he'd bring the guys he trusts with him.

I'm a broken goddamned record on this point, but: Leipold's success or failure will depend on what the QB room looks like in his third and fourth years here.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I very much understand that this is a guy doing his job, but: this is terrific.

https://kuathletics.com/its-a-new-day-in-lawrence/
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:44 am

I'm a broken goddamned record on this point, but: Leipold's success or failure will depend on what the QB room looks like in his third and fourth years here.
I mean, kinda? There may be games where Leipold's team throws like 15 times a game. Other games they might throw a lot.

I want a great QB, just seems like it may not matter as much with Leipold as it did with other coaches' schemes like an Air Raid or RPO based offense.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:26 am I very much understand that this is a guy doing his job, but: this is terrific.

Surround yourself with the right people and eventually the results will come.

Stuck, is the real deal and I'm glad he is back to help turn this program around.

Can't think of a time were I have been more excited for fall camp.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:26 am I very much understand that this is a guy doing his job, but: this is terrific.

This was really good. As Nick Schwerdt with 1320 in Lawrence said Monday. It feels like the adults are a the charge now. There won't be fake flight plans, there won't be snide twitter back and forth, there won't be a HC stumbling at the mic, there won't be a rift with a top basketball coach IN THE WORLD.

Stuckey is a part of that. Wayne Simien doing a lot of work with the department is a part of that. Travis Goff is very Bill Self like. Knows the room, quick on his feet, personable. Leipold is a no-nonsense, gets to the details.

KU Athletics is probably in best shape it's been in since 2008.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I do think Goff comes across as a super sharp dude.

Could be AD for a long time. Of course, the coaching hires can make or break AD's.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Was also funny to me that at the presser when Mellinger said he had a couple questions for Goff, Goff scooted up in his seat towards the mic and became laser focused. Something tells me he knew about the last question Sam asked a KU AD.