In this thread, the "experts" own Lobs

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: 2020: the year the "feelz" took over

Post by ousdahl »

Walrus wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:55 pm "It’s a white guy on a message bored saying things like, systemic racism doesn’t exist."

Reminds me of this. :D

so it’s still OK to judge you based on your privilege?
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

That's fine, given that we're all privileged in America.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Walrus wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:37 pm That's fine, given that we're all privileged in America.
Oh hey! I think I heard George Floyd say that too, right after he cried for his mamma.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:02 pm
Walrus wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:37 pm That's fine, given that we're all privileged in America.
Oh hey! I think I heard George Floyd say that too, right after he cried for his mamma.
I would be interested to see a breakdown of that officers complaints against him by race of person filing complaint.

There are 2 seperate issues at play (although a segment of them go hand in hand)....there is a racism problem in american. And there is also a police brutality problem in america.

I do not think all incidents of police brutality are due to racism. Some certainly are though.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:16 pm
I would be interested to see a breakdown of that officers complaints against him by race of person filing complaint.

There are 2 seperate issues at play (although a segment of them go hand in hand)....there is a racism problem in american. And there is also a police brutality problem in america.

I do not think all incidents of police brutality are due to racism. Some certainly are though.
Good post.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I mostly agree, except the racism problem now in 2020 is far less than it has ever been in the last 100 years. There will always be some dumb racists, but contrary to what many would want you to believe, the US has made huge strides in becoming less racist than ever before. Unfortunately, we've become much worse in many other areas, such as losing our ability to see the real problems that we face.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 310

Walrus wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 pm

I mostly agree, except the racism problem now in 2020 is far less than it has ever been in the last 100 years. There will always be some dumb racists, but contrary to what many would want you to believe, the US has made huge strides in becoming less racist than ever before. Unfortunately, we've become much worse in many other areas, such as losing our ability to see the real problems that we face.
Correct that racism is far less prevalent now than 100 years ago. Especially true racism. But casual racism and prejudices against minorities are still way more prevalent/widespread than anywhere near acceptable imo. I have multiple aunts/uncles/cousins who i will never view the same after comments they have made the last several months. Relationships ruined forever. I wont have people like that around my children or in my life. And most arent blatant racists (texas aunt and uncle probably qualify, although they are so dense they dont even realize or acknowledge it). Its casual or subliminal racism/prejudices that are easily identfied via things like social media. It is nauseating to me. I am glad that great progress is being made, but we have a long way to go. And many people wont change, especially some from older generations....so in a sense that kind of racism just has to die off as it has in the past.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I think we're both kind of defining racism differently. The definition I'm talking about is when one race believes their dna / skin color is superior to other races. Very few people actually believe that in 2020, and certainly none of my close friends believe in that nonsense. I think what you're talking about are the milder judgements or prejudices we make in our daily life, which we all do sometimes. We all make judgements about people that we don't know, but it doesn't mean it's "racist". Offensive? Maybe. Unfair? Probably. But racist? Most of the time, I doubt that's what people are intending. For example, it's not racist if you see a group of young men in baggy jeans down their ass that look like gangbangers and decide you would rather avoid walking near them. That's not racist -- that's just playing the probabilities.
Deleted User 310

Yes racism and prejudice are different (and get mixed up quite a bit). And yes true racism (and racial discrimination) does involve an aspect of superiority. I still consider someone who is preconditioned to dislike black people from the jump as racist even if they dont think they are superior by dna.

For example: Being nervous around black people wouldnt necessarily make someome racist but would make them prejudice.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Race is just one of the power points of people who abuse their power. It's about exerting power over those who you feel are inferior to you. Different races, genders, ages, sexual preferences, the physically and mentally disabled, homeless, etc.... abusers abuse them all.

When we choose to live in a community, we agree to behave in a certain agreed upon manner. We agree to allow certain people to represent us in legislature and grant them the power to pass laws that govern us. We agree to allow certain people to police us and grant them the authority to kill us if it is deemed truly necessary. We agree to allow our children to spend their days at schools being taught by strangers to us on the promise that care was taken in the hiring of those strangers.

When these powers are abused by politicians, by police, by teachers, by anyone who we have allowed to be in a position of power over us, it is especially heinous.

Unfortunately, the nature of the police force in today's USA makes the profession very attractive to those who want to abuse others. I cannot think of another job that allows an abuser the ability to abuse others with a better chance to suffer little to no consequence.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Walrus wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:19 pm I think we're both kind of defining racism differently. The definition I'm talking about is when one race believes their dna / skin color is superior to other races. Very few people actually believe that in 2020, and certainly none of my close friends believe in that nonsense. I think what you're talking about are the milder judgements or prejudices we make in our daily life, which we all do sometimes. We all make judgements about people that we don't know, but it doesn't mean it's "racist". Offensive? Maybe. Unfair? Probably. But racist? Most of the time, I doubt that's what people are intending. For example, it's not racist if you see a group of young men in baggy jeans down their ass that look like gangbangers and decide you would rather avoid walking near them. That's not racist -- that's just playing the probabilities.
you don't have to be a full on white supremacist to be racist.

You can do things like, attempt to justify your prejudice. "It's not racist! It's just unfair and offensive!"

and yeah, you damn right you better run if you see me on your block wearing my jncos.
Last edited by ousdahl on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I don't have a lot of time this morning but reading Walrus and Illini discussing racism is going to be my entertainment source later today.
I assume it's something like this..... They don't have a vagina. Using their logic, because they don't have a vagina, vaginas don't exist or at least they don't matter.
Deleted User 310

Grandma wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:26 am I don't have a lot of time this morning but reading Walrus and Illini discussing racism is going to be my entertainment source later today.
I assume it's something like this..... They don't have a vagina. Using their logic, because they don't have a vagina, vaginas don't exist or at least they don't matter.
I am going to give you a spoiler: you have me pegged wrong on my beliefs/thoughts on racism.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I'm going to give you a spoiler. You discussed racism with Walrus. Unless you disagreed with most of what he said and told him he's pretty much fucking clueless, my guess is I will find some fault in what you said to him (and others).
I don't pretend to be an expert nor do I expect people to agree with my thoughts and feelings but I promise you and everyone else, I have made a point to "educate" myself in many ways.
By actually speaking with AND LISTENING TO people of MANY walks of life who have been victims and advocates - and having deep and meaningful conversations with them.
I'll happily elaborate when I have some more time later today.
Deleted User 310

Grandma wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:24 am I'm going to give you a spoiler. You discussed racism with Walrus. Unless you disagreed with most of what he said and told him he's pretty much fucking clueless, my guess is I will find some fault in what you said to him (and others).
I don't pretend to be an expert nor do I expect people to agree with my thoughts and feelings but I promise you and everyone else, I have made a point to "educate" myself in many ways.
By actually speaking with AND LISTENING TO people of MANY walks of life who have been victims and advocates - and having deep and meaningful conversations with them.
I'll happily elaborate when I have some more time later today.
If you genuinely find fault in what i said i would be very open to hearing your thoughts/criticism.

We disagreed on things, but i was respectful in my responses...maybe that is why you pessimisticly assume i said things that were unsavory?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Grandma wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:26 am I don't have a lot of time this morning but reading Walrus and Illini discussing racism is going to be my entertainment source later today.
Racism in Merica is just like Covid in Merica.

As long as it don’t affect you personally, then it don’t exist.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:23 am
Racism in Merica is just like Covid in Merica.

As long as it don’t affect you personally, then it don’t exist.
For some, yes.

For others, no.

I am white. I care greatly about racism.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:40 pm Yes racism and prejudice are different (and get mixed up quite a bit). And yes true racism (and racial discrimination) does involve an aspect of superiority. I still consider someone who is preconditioned to dislike black people from the jump as racist even if they dont think they are superior by dna.

For example: Being nervous around black people wouldnt necessarily make someome racist but would make them prejudice.
Nothing there I disagree with. Thanks for being open for honest discussion. Most on here go to some extreme or assume something ridiculous about me.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If you’d like, I too will make the effort to have honest discussion.

If I feel like others here are going to some extreme or assuming ridiculous things about me, I try to do a little self-reflecting about those assumptions, or why others might perceive me as extreme.

I encourage you do to the same.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

In my reflecting, I came to realize, most people eat at McDonalds for the same reason that people get sucked into mob thinking. Or how so much awful music is highly popular. Always question when something becomes too mainstream or popular.