Sadly, These Are Not Serious People

Ugh.
dolomite
Contributor

Re: Sadly, These Are Not Serious People

Post by dolomite »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:24 pm i was with you until the last point

this clusterfuck is solely on the pubs, willingly embracing the extremes of their party…the same extremes they’re now hostage to

dems bailing out doesn’t fix the problem. it only puts a bandaid on a symptom
Whatever it takes to stop the bleeding, Trad.

I feel the Republicans will have been scarred for life anyway, which will probably bode well for the Democrats in upcoming elections.
This could be a win-win for Democrats (if they offer a lifeline)
And
I hate to say this but I’m embarrassed to call myself Republican.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Emmer has dropped out of the Speaker's race...

Yes, really.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Shirley wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:58 pm Emmer has dropped out of the Speaker's race...

Yes, really.
Need to make another popcorn run
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Do the dems offer to help a semi-sane speaker or let the pubs go with the nuttiest nutball they can find?
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:31 pm not having a speaker hasn't affected/effected my life one iota.
Yet
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

dolomite wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:59 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:24 pm i was with you until the last point

this clusterfuck is solely on the pubs, willingly embracing the extremes of their party…the same extremes they’re now hostage to

dems bailing out doesn’t fix the problem. it only puts a bandaid on a symptom
Whatever it takes to stop the bleeding, Trad.

I feel the Republicans will have been scarred for life anyway, which will probably bode well for the Democrats in upcoming elections.
This could be a win-win for Democrats (if they offer a lifeline)
And
I hate to say this but I’m embarrassed to call myself Republican.
why don’t the reasonable pubs (if any exist) teach their hostage-holding compadres a lesson and support Jeffries?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:13 pm Do the dems offer to help a semi-sane speaker or let the pubs go with the nuttiest nutball they can find?
I mean, right now, the pubs can't agree on ANYONE. Regardless of degree of nuttiness.

I think the Ds should not offer to help unless it would come with HUGE procedural concessions - the most notable of which would be to install guardrails to stop people of any political stripe from using government shutdowns as negotiating tools.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Nobody wants to give in to the other, playing hostage games.
Taylor Sheridan
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

dolomite wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:51 pm Nobody wants to give in to the other, playing hostage games.
I don't think it's appropriate to paint this situation with the "will those clowns in Washington ever get their act together" brush.

This is one team on the AFH floor, with the refs. Ready to play. And, on the sideline, Scott Drew's players arguing among themselves over which one of them should even take the jump ball.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:35 pm
dolomite wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:51 pm Nobody wants to give in to the other, playing hostage games.
I don't think it's appropriate to paint this situation with the "will those clowns in Washington ever get their act together" brush.

This is one team on the AFH floor, with the refs. Ready to play. And, on the sideline, Scott Drew's players arguing among themselves over which one of them should even take the jump ball.
Allsome
Defense. Rebounds.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:16 pm why don’t the reasonable pubs (if any exist) teach their hostage-holding compadres a lesson and support Jeffries?
These days “reasonable pubs” is an oxymoron, especially on the House side. Supporting Jeffries would mean that they are interested in governing. No pub has given even an iota of that impression.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:58 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:35 pm

Allsome
Man. Sums up our lives here.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

OMG, hold onto your hat!

Republicans might hold a vote for speaker today!
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

zsn wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:15 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:16 pm why don’t the reasonable pubs (if any exist) teach their hostage-holding compadres a lesson and support Jeffries?
These days “reasonable pubs” is an oxymoron, especially on the House side. Supporting Jeffries would mean that they are interested in governing. No pub has given even an iota of that impression.
With how the GOP has villainized all Dems as traitors to the country, any GOP politician who support Jeffries for Speaker is effectively choosing to not be a politician once their term is up as they would be voted out of office ASAP. GOP voters say they want a functioning government but do not vote for functioning politicians and punish any politician who functions within the designs of good government (compromise).
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The prediction is that Johnson has the votes.

God help us.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:36 am The prediction is that Johnson has the votes.

God help us.
I’m not bothered by it. Let them continue to attach themselves to non-democracy.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Radical after radical. Until disaster is inevitable
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

until?

seems like we’re already there
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Yeah. Missed the checkmated democracy line
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:32 pm until?

seems like we’re already there
All I’m saying is that I do NOT think the Ds made a mistake by not supporting another candidate. Let the Rs lean all the way into the crazy. Let them put a national abortion ban guy in the most powerful position the Rs have.