Fred fired from bulls

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Fred fired from bulls

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

He left a small college town that he was The Mayor of for the 3rd largest metro in the country.

Also 2 of his four kids are already in college. The remaining twins have like 1-2 more years of HS left. I bet with UCLA's salary they could find a private school somewhere in career-oriented LA or just stay where they've been the past couple of years.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I love how this board takes a quote from someone that they read in an online article and projects that on to the person as the defining characteristic of that person and ignore that anyone can change their mind, or that what they said may have just been a throw-away comment, or have been said in a certain context.

Hoiberg doesn't like recruiting so he'll never coach college ball again. I'm pretty sure everyone in coaching hates recruiting. I'm pretty sure there's a component of everyone's job that they don't like.

Hoiberg is a family man so he won't move to LA. I'm sure there are family people in a city of 10 million or whatever LA is. I'm sure there are good schools etc.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Los Angeles, the city of 12,000,000 single people
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:47 am I love how this board takes a quote from someone that they read in an online article and projects that on to the person as the defining characteristic of that person and ignore that anyone can change their mind, or that what they said may have just been a throw-away comment, or have been said in a certain context.
Yep. And, basically every coach that has ever coached into their late 60's/early 70's all said numerous times they would never coach that long.

I also don't give a shit about North Carolina and am a Jayhawk for life.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:47 am I love how this board takes a quote from someone that they read in an online article and projects that on to the person as the defining characteristic of that person and ignore that anyone can change their mind, or that what they said may have just been a throw-away comment, or have been said in a certain context.

Hoiberg doesn't like recruiting so he'll never coach college ball again. I'm pretty sure everyone in coaching hates recruiting. I'm pretty sure there's a component of everyone's job that they don't like.

Hoiberg is a family man so he won't move to LA. I'm sure there are family people in a city of 10 million or whatever LA is. I'm sure there are good schools etc.
I haven't seen anyone state that his disdain for recruiting means that he would never take a college job again. I personally just see it as a "con" in his inevitable pros vs. cons list he will make. Like I said, maybe he just didn't like recruiting to ISU. UCLA certainly has a different recruiting pool to fish in.

Hoiberg to UCLA wouldn't surprise me at all. Who knows if it will be a good fit. At the very least, it would be a hire of a person opposite the person he would be replacing. That's a dumb reason to make a hire but it happens all the time.

Hoiberg runs a fun offense so any coach that makes a team more fun to watch gets a thumbs up from me.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

You, 73, and ND (in another thread) cited his dislike for recruiting as reasons he wouldn't take the job.

I don't know of a single coach who says they like recruiting...it's the shitty part of the job.

I'm pretty sure if he gave an interview shortly after taking another college job, he'd have a lot to gripe about NBA specific stuff.

And it's certainly not limited to this topic. According to some, Self is for sure going to retire in the next year or two because he once said he didn't want to coach into his 60s. Kevin Durant never had a problem with Westbrook because he said he liked him once in an interview. Self runs the high/low offense because a color commentator mentioned it during a telecast.

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Also, remember when Self said Kansas was soft?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 am You, 73, and ND (in another thread) cited his dislike for recruiting as reasons he wouldn't take the job.

I don't know of a single coach who says they like recruiting...it's the shitty part of the job.

I'm pretty sure if he gave an interview shortly after taking another college job, he'd have a lot to gripe about NBA specific stuff.

And it's certainly not limited to this topic. According to some, Self is for sure going to retire in the next year or two because he once said he didn't want to coach into his 60s. Kevin Durant never had a problem with Westbrook because he said he liked him once in an interview. Self runs the high/low offense because a color commentator mentioned it during a telecast.
The lesson for any public figure: never say anything about anything, and when you have to say something, say something about nothing.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:35 am The question is whether or not Hoiberg would have any interest in returning to college. He may be more interested in an NBA assistant job than the grind of recruiting, which he seemed to hate.
No, PhDhawk. This is what I said. I said nothing about him not taking a college job, just that he will have to weigh what comes with it against other types of jobs that he is qualified to pursue (NBA coaching or front office jobs) and what those would include.

You're just being a little overdramatic in your interpretation is all.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:19 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:35 am The question is whether or not Hoiberg would have any interest in returning to college. He may be more interested in an NBA assistant job than the grind of recruiting, which he seemed to hate.
No, PhDhawk. This is what I said. I said nothing about him not taking a college job, just that he will have to weigh what comes with it against other types of jobs that he is qualified to pursue (NBA coaching or front office jobs) and what those would include.
I mean, you might as well have said that he'll have to decide if he likes blue and gold or whether he could work for a University that had a bear as a mascot too.

I assumed since you posted it, you thought it was something that was a REAL determining factor. Like, if UCLA publicly announced they were only going to offer $80,000 a year, I'd say, money might be a factor because he could make 50X that somewhere else.

I didn't realize you were posting that as the equivalent of saying something like, "he'll only take a job if there is a house for sale in the nearby area with enough bedrooms for his family and indoor plumbing because he likes a roof over his head and taking showers".

I thought by posting "whether or not Hoiberg would have any interest in returning to college. He may be more interested in an NBA assistant job than the grind of recruiting, which he seemed to hate." you meant that he might not have any interest in returning to college because he didn't like the grind of recruiting, because he once said that. Sorry for misinterpreting your post.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Good lord. That was an awful lot of words to say nothing.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

apparently that's what all your posts are.

Saying Hoiberg might not take a college job because he hates recruiting isn't saying that Hoiberg might not take a college job because he hates recruiting.

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I have family who have been living there for 70+ years.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:29 am Los Angeles, the city of 12,000,000 single people
^^^

This guy gets it.
Deleted User 104

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:36 am He left a small college town that he was The Mayor of for the 3rd largest metro in the country.

Also 2 of his four kids are already in college. The remaining twins have like 1-2 more years of HS left. I bet with UCLA's salary they could find a private school somewhere in career-oriented LA or just stay where they've been the past couple of years.
Even so, Chicago and Los Angeles are worlds apart in terms of population and traffic.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

lobster wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:20 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:36 am He left a small college town that he was The Mayor of for the 3rd largest metro in the country.

Even so, Chicago and Los Angeles are worlds apart in terms of population and traffic.
You're all over the place now. I thought Fred wouldn't go to UCLA b/c he's a family man, but now he won't go there b/c L.A's traffic and population are way worse than Chicago's?

Worlds apart just isn't true, I've driven plenty in both and they both suck. Regardless, when you make and have been making $4 million a year, you're able to minimize these common folk issues.
Deleted User 104

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:32 pm
lobster wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:20 pm

You're all over the place now. I thought Fred wouldn't go to UCLA b/c he's a family man, but now he won't go there b/c L.A's traffic and population are way worse than Chicago's?
No, you're just not following the logic. Bad traffic = poor family environment. LA's traffic is much worse than Chicago traffic. Been to both many times, and it's not even close.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

lobster wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:03 pmNo, you're just not following the logic.
It's because it's completely illogical. Your premises don't make any sense or are completely baseless.

You can sit in traffic for 3 hours getting from the northwest burbs to downtown Chicago in rush hour. I've done it before. I've also sat on I-10 trying to get to downtown LA for a couple of hours. It sucks.

But, Mr. Fred Rogers Hoiberg still took the Chicago job b/c he's not basing his career moves on the amount of traffic. When your last two kids are 17 years old, you're not worried how a metropolitan's traffic conditions that you don't even have to deal with are affecting your ability to raise good kids.

This is simply a matter of you inserting your own universal opinion of an entire metropolitan area that you are admittedly familiar with into a thread that is at best, very tangentially related. It's a little crazy, almost as crazy as me responding to it.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

nuance, bro, nuance.