Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: 2022

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:09 am I think trying to avoid food 4-5 hours before bedtime, and avoiding carbs particularly with the last meal of the day, are big toward loosing weight
I think you can eat what you want, when you want (within reason) if you are active. I think most of our populations mostly sedentary lifestyles are heavily (pun intended) to blame for worldwide weight issues.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

no diet is ever successful if you spend most of the day sitting.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:14 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:27 am Anyone making any resolutions?

I’m gonna read more, write more, learn more Dead songs on guitar, and also start the revolution.

Not that 22 is looking ambitious for me or anything.
Neighbor and I were inspired by the Beatles doc and started writing our own stuff together. That's... Difficult. But rewarding. I'll go with that - making original music
I am the walrus?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:26 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:09 am I think trying to avoid food 4-5 hours before bedtime, and avoiding carbs particularly with the last meal of the day, are big toward loosing weight
I think you can eat what you want, when you want (within reason) if you are active. I think most of our populations mostly sedentary lifestyles are heavily (pun intended) to blame for worldwide weight issues.
Yea, exercise might be even more important than diet.

But the time of day thing affects your body differently, apparently. If you eat then pass out, your body converts calories to storage (weight gain) rather than actively burned energy, or something.

And your body processes carbs first, then protein, so if you eat a bunch of carbs before bed it’s more likely to go straight to weight gain storage, rather than be more slowly processing protein as you sleep. Or something.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:36 amYea, exercise might be even more important than diet.
Eh, I have basically heard from every single trainer/coach I have come across that no matter what exercise routine you're on, the diet will kill it--abs are made in the grocery store, etc., something like getting in good shape is 80% diet. They may be talking about shedding bad weight and looking good, though.

Of course, a sedentary lifestyle isn't going to be good for anyone.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Interesting.

I feel like I’ve heard the opposite - that if you’re active enough, and burning through calories like mad, then it doesn’t really matter what kinda calories.

But that wasn’t necessarily from anyone credible, so not like an actual trainer or anything.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But yeah. I’ve prob shared this before, but I have a certain, uh, amphibious roommate, who gets all BUT MAH RIGHTS about his exercise routine of binging video games instead of going skiing with me, and his diet of a whole box of chips ahoy plus 10 coorses for dinner, mocking me while I eat my salads and shit.

But if he mentions why he thinks he’s overweight, it’s cuz some cruel fate of the universe, that must be the only explanation. There’s nothing he could possibly do to control it. He was just destined to be fat or something. The world’s got it out for him, ya know.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think that's probably true if you're just trying to maintain weight. Any transformation program, though, will have a strict diet regimen. There's a reason the meatheads at the gym are just pounding nasty casein/whey shakes and endless amounts of chicken breasts.

Then there's just good old fashioned genes. My younger sister is the laziest, most sedentary person I know. Stays at home all day and hasn't lifted a weight or ran a mile her entire life. I don't think there's anything out there that could get her above 110 lbs, though.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, genes and individual physiology or whatever is big.

I’m super active, and kind of at least avoid red meat and fried food, sometimes, plus try to at least one good salad/greens/rabbit food dish a day.

But I’m also prone to getting out of bed and smashing a bowl of cereal or something before going back to sleep. Nothing says a good night’s rest, like a belly full of carbs, ha.

I could prob loose about 5 pounds or so worth of love handles, but overall I’m a pretty fit dude.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And I’ve given him a moderate amount of shit about it, but it’s crazy how a grown adult can consider it a grown adult’s rite of passage to eat like a little kid would eat, if he never had parents to tell him better. Sugar and processed foods, woo!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If you're still outdoor guiding in snow and sun seasons, you're plenty active. Probably like 90th percentile for the States.

Back in the 90's during pre-technology farming, farm field and construction work could turn anyone into a freakin' superhero.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:09 pm And I’ve given him a moderate amount of shit about it, but it’s crazy how a grown adult can consider it a grown adult’s rite of passage to eat like a little kid would eat, if he never had parents to tell him better. Sugar and processed foods, woo!
People also tend to forget about the beer and whiskey calorie consumption.
shindig

Post by shindig »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:28 am the turnpike troubadours have announced they are coming out of hibernation in 2022. cannot think of a better way to start 22.
One of my favorite bands along with Wilco and Son Volt.
shindig

Post by shindig »

defixione wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:03 am I stopped bed time 'snacks' and dropped 40# in 18 mos. My Dr. thought there was something wrong with me . . .
Since Covid began, I’ve lost 18 lbs. Cut out soda and eating out everyday for lunch like I did when going to the office. Down to a 32” waist. Plus picked up jogging again, which helps a lot.
Last edited by shindig on Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:15 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:09 pm And I’ve given him a moderate amount of shit about it, but it’s crazy how a grown adult can consider it a grown adult’s rite of passage to eat like a little kid would eat, if he never had parents to tell him better. Sugar and processed foods, woo!
People also tend to forget about the beer and whiskey calorie consumption.
Yeah. It’s this sad combination of stubbornly framing it as personal rights, and also this helpless addictive attitude, like he couldn’t possibly have any willpower or self-control over that booze and sugar and chewin’ tobaccy.

And yeah. He’s not even what he’d call a “big” eater (in the way I can be, like single-handedly destroy an entire pizza or something). Not necessarily huge portions, but everything he eats is pretty much either sugar or some kind of sausage product.

but he IS a big drinker, and I think he gets most of his calories from those multiple (maybe even double digit) beers a day.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Another NYE with no plans…lol. I don’t really care since NYE is always overrated IMO. GF is sick, not Covid, so guess I’ll be hanging out with the doggo and kitten.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

There’s a serviceable blues band playing in town here that as far as I know is still on, but especially with so many of yall in town from all over, also sounds like a superspreader event. I’ll stay home again this year.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh!

One more Beav rant then I’m done.

Despite all that, the poor diet and lifestyle choices and the round rodent physique, he will still, shamelessly and with no irony, go into glory days mode.

If you ask, he was a baller in high school, and still IS. Like totally. Never mind he was just a benchwarmer on the JV team in bumfuck Oregon, like 20 years and 75 pounds ago.

Every time he does, I try to bet him something outrageous, like dude I could beat you one-on-one with my goddamn shoelaces tied together. But he still thinks he’s in a Bruce Springsteen song about it.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

shindig wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:49 pm Another NYE with no plans…lol. I don’t really care since NYE is always overrated IMO. GF is sick, not Covid, so guess I’ll be hanging out with the doggo and kitten.
Amateur night.

For the past 26 years, except for last New year's eve, we've hosted a New year's Eve party during which we do an old surrealist exercise of culling pictures from magazines and arranging them to convey a self-portrait of our previous year. Real low key, but there are great people, great conversation, great food, and excellent beverages. It's amazing to look back at all the wonderfully creative art that has been made at these parties.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:43 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:36 amYea, exercise might be even more important than diet.
Eh, I have basically heard from every single trainer/coach I have come across that no matter what exercise routine you're on, the diet will kill it--abs are made in the grocery store, etc., something like getting in good shape is 80% diet. They may be talking about shedding bad weight and looking good, though.

Of course, a sedentary lifestyle isn't going to be good for anyone.

Yes, this is correct. Diet is significantly more important and impactful than exercise.

Should be doing both though