NBA Offseason

Kansas Basketball.
NDballer13

Re: NBA Offseason

Post by NDballer13 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:48 am
jfish26 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:24 am I assume they’ll get a third guy. Either way, we’ve seen the Bron, two guys and a bunch of Daniel Gibsons before. Especially with Davis’ injury history, this just doesn’t seem destined to end well.
Color me shocked.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... Free-Agent
Next one you'll see is Richard Jefferson plans to come out of retirement.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:09 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:48 am
jfish26 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:24 am I assume they’ll get a third guy. Either way, we’ve seen the Bron, two guys and a bunch of Daniel Gibsons before. Especially with Davis’ injury history, this just doesn’t seem destined to end well.
Color me shocked.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... Free-Agent
Next one you'll see is Richard Jefferson plans to come out of retirement.
Maybe Mike Miller will leave his assistant position at memphis.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I mean, isn't Melo the most obvious answer?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Kyrie I think is planning on going to Nets for 4 yrs/$141M

Lakers are wanting to get D'Angelo Russell.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:14 am I mean, isn't Melo the most obvious answer?
Of course. Shit, would Rio surprise anyone?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:28 am Kyrie I think is planning on going to Nets for 4 yrs/$141M

Lakers are wanting to get D'Angelo Russell.
They've got nothing to offer for Russell.

Russell ends up in Minny, somehow. Brooklyn doesn't want Wiggs, though.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Someone will absorb that deal for some goodies. Honestly, New Orleans might be a great fit for that.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KD declines PO and is officially an UFA.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I struggle to see how that's the optimal financial outcome for him; yes, he'll get whatever contract he wants from someone, but that would be true next offseason also (unless his Achilles just melted or something).

I think it would have been smarter for him to ride out the last year of the GSW contract (such that he could sign a deal next offseason that takes him through 2023-24 at a max salary). Or even demand a trade into a Texas or Florida team that has cap space (Magic?) to collect the 2019-20 salary with no state income tax.

In either case, he would get the benefit of more max years (doubtful he'll get a max in the second contract from now), and he'd be protected from injury or other weird 2019-20 at wherever he signs. For example - if he follows Kyrie to Brooklyn (by signing there this summer), what happens if Kyrie's Achilles pops next Spring?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We completely agree on all that.

I wonder if the only thing holding him back is that his team expects his preferred destinations to tie up all of their open cap space this summer for the next 4 years.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:05 am We completely agree on all that.

I wonder if the only thing holding him back is that his team expects his preferred destinations to tie up all of their open cap space this summer for the next 4 years.
Eh, let's just stay with the Nets example. If they signed (I don't know) Tobias Harris this summer, you don't think they'd find a taker next summer?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

This may sound dumb, but I honestly don't know. NBA teams can set up the terms for the contract however right? Like say KD signs a 4 year $164M deal with the Nets. That comes out to $41M per year. But say since he won't play this year, he gets paid maybe $20M this year, but the then final 3 years are $48M per year. Is that something teams do, or is it basically you get the $41M per year regardless because they always average it out?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:10 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:05 am We completely agree on all that.

Eh, let's just stay with the Nets example. If they signed (I don't know) Tobias Harris this summer, you don't think they'd find a taker next summer?
I don't know, but there is obviously a big desire to go to either the NY or LA market.

It just doesn't make financial sense to turn down $31.5m next year while rehabbing and/or a 5-year deal with the Warriors. No one has ever come back and played at the same level after an Achilles. The smart thing here is to make the best money move, and it appears he's opting out of that.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:12 am This may sound dumb, but I honestly don't know. NBA teams can set up the terms for the contract however right? Like say KD signs a 4 year $164M deal with the Nets. That comes out to $41M per year. But say since he won't play this year, he gets paid maybe $20M this year, but the then final 3 years are $48M per year. Is that something teams do, or is it basically you get the $41M per year regardless because they always average it out?
Most contracts are staggered so the annual amount increases each year. Take Wiggins for examples. 5 yr/148 million. First year he got just under 25.5 and the 5th year he'll get over 33.5. I'm not sure if there is a minimum percentage or set amount that has to be paid each year, but paying less for the first year and more the final three is definitely an option.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kemba to the Celts?
Keeps em in the top 4 in the East i'd think.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Is that addition by subtraction or subtraction by addition? Both? Neither?
So many puzzle piece free agents and hard to keep track of who may go where and then who else will choose to play with them. Problem is only one puzzle wins a Championship.
Seriously, can anyone really predict with any certainty who they feel will play in conference finals next season? I know I can't.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Paul1 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:26 am
Seriously, can anyone really predict with any certainty who they feel will play in conference finals next season?
yes

Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Please share your prediction/s.
Lot of factors involved for me.
East - Milwaukee might be a choice but the Raptors proved they are beatable. Do they keep Middleton and Brogdon? Does Butler stay in Philly? Does Kawhi stay in Toronto? Boston is probably losing a key piece. Brooklyn may improve dramatically but if KD goes there and doesn't play next season...
West - I'll just simply say who the f knows?
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Keep Butler and I really like our chances.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Paul1 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:38 am Please share your prediction/s.
Lot of factors involved for me.
East - Milwaukee might be a choice but the Raptors proved they are beatable. Do they keep Middleton and Brogdon? Does Butler stay in Philly? Does Kawhi stay in Toronto? Boston is probably losing a key piece. Brooklyn may improve dramatically but if KD goes there and doesn't play next season...
West - I'll just simply say who the f knows?
I won't tell you. but you can know I'm sure because I based it on body language.