Another mass shooting

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by KUTradition »

Three people are dead, including a suspected gunman, in a shooting outside an Iowa church Thursday evening, officials said.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It's ok because, Chicago. Or something.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:42 am It's ok because, Chicago. Or something.
Overlander wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:40 pm Troll
Nobody said anything is "okay" because of Chicago. Simply wonder why certain people only seem to care when it's mostly white people being shot? Well, unless of course the black person is shot by a white cop. Then they care.

Like how come no post about the female cop in Chicago who was shot Wednesday during a traffic stop?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-man- ... gun-charge

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shootin ... /11921535/
Deleted User 863

Or about the 51 people shot over memorial day?

2 considered "mass shootings".

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2022 ... ay-weekend
Deleted User 863

Another shooting from yesterday....

2 killed, US Marshall among 10 wounded
https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2022 ... cHBiUGRIWQ..
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:20 am
jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:42 am It's ok because, Chicago. Or something.
Nobody said anything is "okay" because of Chicago. Simply wonder why certain people only seem to care when it's mostly white people being shot? Well, unless of course the black person is shot by a white cop. Then they care.

Like how come no post about the female cop in Chicago who was shot Wednesday during a traffic stop?

I think More people care about the K-9 that was shot than the woman cop.

Bottom line is most people on here don't give a shit about Chicago and don't really care about what point/s you are trying to convey. So for your sake and the sake of others - you might as well stop.
Anyone and everyone on here who has an ounce of sanity should (and does) realize we have a massive GUN problem in this country. No matter if we focus on a single person who is shot or a "mass" shooting.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:51 am

I think More people care about the K-9 that was shot than the woman cop.

Bottom line is most people on here don't give a shit about Chicago and don't really care about what point/s you are trying to convey. So for your sake and the sake of others - you might as well stop.
Anyone and everyone on here who has an ounce of sanity should (and does) realize we have a massive GUN problem in this country. No matter if we focus on a single person who is shot or a "mass" shooting.
My point is, as a country, and as a messageboard, "we" tend to pay a lot more attention when it's white people being shot.

Yes, we have a massive gun/violence problem.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Maybe think about taking a break.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

You keep asking the same question and we keep answering it the same way so it leads me to believe that you aren't actually interested in the answer.

The "mass shootings" that get attention are the targeted attacks on unsuspecting people with the sole intent to kill as many people as possible. Coverage of the Buffalo and Uvalde shootings throws your intentionally inflammatory "only seem to care when it's mostly white people being shot" out the window as you are fully aware that the victims in both shootings were primarily, if not exclusively, non-white.

You think you are zinging people but you are just reinforcing the belief that you are just here to troll and to try to "own a lib" while pretending to be having a discussion. A discussion involves listening to the response of the other people in the conversation.
Last edited by twocoach on Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:02 am A discussion involves listening to the response of the other people in the conversation. but only if i agree with what they are saying. if i don't agree with what they are saying i call them an idiot.
fyp
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:02 am

The "mass shootings" that get attention are the targeted attacks on unsuspecting people with the sole intent to kill as many people as possible.
Cringe. That sounds a whole lot like "they were asking for it". You don't think dozens of people in the links i provided were unsuspecting? I do. It even says many of them were.

It's not just about "mass shootings", which can be defined numerous ways. It's about a GUN VIOLENCE problem.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:08 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:02 am A discussion involves listening to the response of the other people in the conversation. but only if i agree with what they are saying. if i don't agree with what they are saying i call them an idiot.
fyp
It takes listening to someone's answer to determine if you believe they are an idiot or not. It's a rude discussion but it's at least a discussion.

Illy just completely ignores the answer as if it never happened. I have probably typed the same answer to that same question three times here and he keeps regurgitating the same inaccurate shtick as if "but Chicago" makes anyone who claims to care about gun control a hypocrite. Illy seems to see himself as the hypocrisy police and loves it when he thinks he has discovered someone being hypocritical.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:13 am

The "mass shootings" that get attention are the targeted attacks on unsuspecting people with the sole intent to kill as many people as possible.
Cringe. That sounds a whole lot like "they were asking for it". You don't think dozens of people in the links i provided were unsuspecting? I do. It even says many of them were.

It's not just about "mass shootings", which can be defined numerous ways. It's about a GUN VIOLENCE problem.
You seriously have the worst critical reading skills of any adult I have ever had repeated dealings with. My goodness.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:15 am

You seriously have the worst critical reading skills of any adult I have ever had repeated dealings with. My goodness.
It's just something for you (and others) to think about.

Buffalo resonates with you because you go to the grocery store.

Uvalde resonates with you because you send your kids to school.

Inner city gun violence doesn't trigger the same emotions for you because you can just avoid inner cities and bad neighborhoods (you have literally said that). Unfortunately for many, that's not a luxury they have. Those are the communities in which they have grown up in. Live in. Raise their children in. There are A LOT of good people in those communities.

We need to do a better job of reducing gun violence across the board. We are failing.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:21 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:15 am

It's just something for you (and others) to think about.

Buffalo resonates with you because you go to the grocery store.

Uvalde resonates with you because you send your kids to school.

Inner city gun violence doesn't trigger the same emotions for you because you can just avoid inner cities and bad neighborhoods (you have literally said that). Unfortunately for many, that's not a luxury they have. Those are the communities in which they have grown up in. Live in. Raise their children in. There are A LOT of good people in those communities.

We need to do a better job of reducing gun violence across the board. We are failing.
For approximately the 58th time, yes we all agree that reducing gun violence across the board would be ideal. However, the thread topic is called "Another Mass Shooting" so the discussions on this thread are more likely to focus on that specific topic. If you want to make a "How do we Cure All Gun Violence? " thread, go for it.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:33 am For approximately the 58th time, yes we all agree that reducing gun violence across the board would be ideal. However, the thread topic is called "Another Mass Shooting" so the discussions on this thread are more likely to focus on that specific topic. If you want to make a "How do we Cure All Gun Violence? " thread, go for it.
I didn't think we needed an individual thread for every aspect of gun violence. This one seems like it will do.

It's not just about agreeing that reducing all gun violence would be better. That's a given for reasonable people. But one quite clearly gets more attention and provokes more intense emotions/reactions for change. Especially from white people. It's not just about racism. Although that's definitely a part of it. Even if it's unintentional. For example you saying the word "unsuspecting" as a differentiating factor, as if inner city shootings are primarily "suspecting" victims or targeted attacks. It goes beyond just gang violence.

Just something to think about as we (hopefully) begin to tackle gun violence in our country in the decades ahead. Equal time energy and resources need to be deployed in all parts of the war on gun violence.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:46 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:33 am For approximately the 58th time, yes we all agree that reducing gun violence across the board would be ideal. However, the thread topic is called "Another Mass Shooting" so the discussions on this thread are more likely to focus on that specific topic. If you want to make a "How do we Cure All Gun Violence? " thread, go for it.
I didn't think we needed an individual thread for every aspect of gun violence. This one seems like it will do.

It's not just about agreeing that reducing all gun violence would be better. That's a given for reasonable people. But one quite clearly gets more attention and provokes more intense emotions/reactions for change. Especially from white people. It's not just about racism. Although that's definitely a part of it. Even if it's unintentional. For example you saying the word "unsuspecting" as a differentiating factor, as if inner city shootings are primarily "suspecting" victims or targeted attacks. It goes beyond just gang violence.
So in other words, we will have to continue to listen you you regurgitate the same old "why don't Dems care about the shootings in Chicago" every time they happen and they aren't discussed here. Got it.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:48 am

So in other words, we will have to continue to listen you you regurgitate the same old "why don't Dems care about the shootings in Chicago" every time they happen and they aren't discussed here. Got it.
I have never said anything about Dems not caring about shootings in Chicago. That's a strawman. In fact, I think it's primarily Dems who DO care about gun violence in inner cities (since those are primarily blue areas). Other than some racist (casual or otherwise) Republicans on the right who occasionally use that angle as an excuse to do nothing about other forms of gun violence in our country.

Stop trying so hard to make everything Dem vs Pub.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:51 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:48 am

I have never said anything about Dems not caring about shootings in Chicago. That's a strawman. In fact, I think it's primarily Dems who DO care about gun violence in inner cities (since those are primarily blue areas). Other than some racist (casual or otherwise) Republicans on the right who occasionally use that angle as an excuse to do nothing about other forms of gun violence in our country.

Stop trying so hard to make everything Dem vs Pub.
Sorry for assuming that the "certain people" you were referring to were the Dems that post on this board. I am sure that if you listed out who specifically you were referring to that it would be a healthy mix of Dem and GOP supporting posters. Or not.

"Simply wonder why certain people only seem to care when it's mostly white people being shot? "
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:01 am Sorry for assuming that the "certain people" you were referring to were the Dems that post on this board. I am sure that if you listed out who specifically you were referring to that it would be a healthy mix of Dem and GOP supporting posters. Or not.

"Simply wonder why certain people only seem to care when it's mostly white people being shot? "
For someone who finger wags about reading comprehension and discussion so frequently, you don't seem to be great at taking your own advice.

Multiple times I said "as a country". It also sometimes applies as a messageboard.

Assumptions can get you in trouble occasionally. Sort of like assuming I am a republican here to "own the libs", rather than paying attention to the multiple times I have pointed out I am currently registered as a Dem. Just because I am comfortable being critical of Dems doesn't make me a Pub.