From when the shit hit the fan with Mangino til now

Kansas Football.
UnholyLivingDead

Re: From when the shit hit the fan with Mangino til now

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:07 am
Zenger cans Gill, arguably early (given what happens the next 10 years)

This is the part that sticks out to me. Hindsight and all that, but if Turner Gill is allowed to coach a third year, Seth Russell (who ended up at Baylor) was coming to be our QB. That alone would have been worth it to give him a chance. Couldn't have possibly gone any worse than hiring Weis anyway.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:00 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:07 am
Zenger cans Gill, arguably early (given what happens the next 10 years)

This is the part that sticks out to me. Hindsight and all that, but if Turner Gill is allowed to coach a third year, Seth Russell (who ended up at Baylor) was coming to be our QB. That alone would have been worth it to give him a chance. Couldn't have possibly gone any worse than hiring Weis anyway.
Right. And even though I think it was clear that Gill was in over his head and wasn't the right guy long term, firing a coach after two years sets a bad precedent and makes the job a lot less attractive.

And, it's my understanding that a lot of the eligibility and academic issues that were brought up about the Gil regime were grossly exaggerated by Weis who used it as a way to get rid of guys he wasn't fond of and to create a built in excuse for being shitty.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't know that Weis was worse than Gill, but I'm definitely much more pissed at him.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Just get us to a bowl.
Any goddamn bowl.
I want to watch some December Jayhawk football.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:51 pm I don't know that Weis was worse than Gill, but I'm definitely much more pissed at him.
Gill was at a mid-major, had some brief success and wanted a shot at big-time college football, but he was in over his head went back to a small school and did decently.

Weis tricked Papa John into hiring him, talked a big game, took naps in his office, and cashed big checks (from two Universities) and laughed his way into retirement.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:37 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:51 pm I don't know that Weis was worse than Gill, but I'm definitely much more pissed at him.
Gill was at a mid-major, had some brief success and wanted a shot at big-time college football, but he was in over his head went back to a small school and did decently.

Weis tricked Papa John into hiring him, talked a big game, took naps in his office, and cashed big checks (from two Universities) and laughed his way to the buffet.
fixed
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Jade Mongolian Grill was a great buffet for hungover Sundays.
If you had a KU ID you got a free drink.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I don’t think folks remember just how poorly coached Gill’s teams were.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I was also at that CU game. I never would have thought walking out of that game it would be the beginning of the end of the Mancini era. Hahah was that Artist Wright who complained that the turf was to hot during bear crawls or did he get ‘poked’ in the chest. I will say Mangino was nothing to F with. Dude was flat out intimidating and could be a huge (no pun intended) asshole. I’m glad to hear he has his health in order and has mellowed out.

I believe we can all agree that Zenger almost single handily destroyed KU’s football program. What an ass hat.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ugh, that whole Mangino was too tough on players thing seemed like bullshit.

I mean I don’t wanna downplay any perceived abuse.

But for a player to complain about getting poked in the chest, then go out and demolish each other on the field, just don’t seem to add up. It’s fucking football. The whole point is you gotta be tough.

Wasn’t that the season of the witch hunt? Like several other coaches got chased outta town cuz they were too tough?
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Can't remember if it was all the same season but it was all right around that time that (in addition to Mangino) Mike Leach got run out of Texas Tech and Jim Leavitt lost his job at South Florida.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

It was all within a couple of years from each other.

Mangino was on thin ice with Lew Perkins after the 2006 season. Perkins always wanted to hire his own coach because he "created" the Connecticut football program and had a stadium built. The 2006 season was exceedingly disappointing, particularly with the season ending loss to Missouri (Reesing coming in and almost orchestrating a comeback). Going into the 2007 season, Mangino struggled between having Kerry Meier at QB or that short guy from Austin. I remember asking this question on .com: If your job was on the line, would you rather have an All-State QB from Pittsburg, KS or one from Austin, TX? He chose Reesing (along with a favorable schedule), and the rest is history.

But, with Perkins, Mangino was always on thin ice. All so we could get Turner Gill, the reason of which is another story.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Pretty sure Mangino Leach and Levitt all got chased off within a few months of each other, at the end of the 09 season.

It like got to be the hip thing to do to fire your coach for being too mean to the cupcakes.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Mangino had no allies left in the athletic department. He had pissed everybody off at one time or another. When he needed some help, it was greeted by silence.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Gill had a low budget for his staff. Perkins could have hired him at half the $2 million salary and gave him a better budget for Assistants. He might had a fighting chance.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I still can't believe he made Harbaugh have an ultimatum. We could have had Jim Freaking Harbaugh on the sidelines.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

As bad as Z was, and he was bad looking back at it the Perkins era wasn't so smooth either. He gets a pass and maybe rightfully so because of the success of 2008.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Lew was great, then he wasn't.

Z was bad then worse. He might not get enough credit for cleaning up the day-to-day operations at the athletic dept., but as he said and acknowledged: he was brought here for football.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think Long in 11 months, has done more for football than Zenger did in his 7!!! years.

He was here 7 years? Wow.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

I have it on good authority that Zenger is now getting involved with a different Big 12 school.
Stay tuned.