F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:44 am if it's "nothing matters but the money" that's the problem, I'm afraid that problem is hardly limited to sports.
great. this is the sports portion of the board. Close the door on the way out.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:12 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:50 am
TDub wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:40 am I think that response falls within the "nothing matters but the money" portion of my post.
They’re businesses. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect 30 business owners to get together and say “let’s donate all operating profit above X% to charity.”

But, I also don’t think they should be winning a rigged game by enjoying uncapped profits (wind-aided by tax breaks) by way of taxpayer-funded assets.
this is the part of my post that refers to predictable responses
Alright - so what would you do about it?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Regulate the businesses centrally so that money and growth isn’t the most important issue. Make the very central issue academics and competition. I know that just makes your brain explode.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:37 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:50 am

They’re businesses. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect 30 business owners to get together and say “let’s donate all operating profit above X% to charity.”

But, I also don’t think they should be winning a rigged game by enjoying uncapped profits (wind-aided by tax breaks) by way of taxpayer-funded assets.
the previous 110-115 years of athletics were better than the last 5-10
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Get off my lawn but i think that tons of things are better today but college sports was probably best in like the 80s before the shoe companies and endorsements came swarming in.

You could stop this and yes this would in turn have athletes find other avenues but that’s great, go do that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, that 1898-99 season was special

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

photoshop request:

any amount of ink
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:22 pm

Ok, so what would you do about it?

I don’t think hoping for people to just change their behavior is a good plan. What’s your carrot/stick to get things toward where you’d want them to be?

It’s not a gotcha - not waiting to pounce on ya.

Edit: And I’m talking about pro sports. I know our differences on college, and I’m not trying to pick at them.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Is there that much a difference now?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:45 pm Is there that much a difference now?
Not trying to pick or extend that fight, or any fight.

I do think that (setting aside the one-size-fits-all of restoring “pure amateurism”) it’s significantly easier to talk about how to improve pro sports than how to improve college sports, simply because there are fewer complexities.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:29 pm

I don’t think hoping for people to just change their behavior is a good plan. What’s your carrot/stick to get things toward where you’d want them to be?

Edit: And I’m talking about pro sports. I know our differences on college, and I’m not trying to pick at them.
I dont know that I have answers.

I've stopped watching MLB completely. I basically have stopped watching the NBA other than to follow the major stories. I watch significantly less NFL than I did 10 years ago and I dont miss it really. If it weren't for fantasy, the Chiefs being good and the Seahawks being tolerable...and a general enjoyment of football signaling the coming of fall and all goods things that come with it I probably wouldn't watch it follow any of it.

It's just sort of sad observation to watch sports slip away and really not care at all.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:34 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:29 pm

I dont know that I have answers.

I've stopped watching MLB completely. I basically have stopped watching the NBA other than to follow the major stories. I watch significantly less NFL than I did 10 years ago and I dont miss it really. If it weren't for fantasy, the Chiefs being good and the Seahawks being tolerable...and a general enjoyment of football signaling the coming of fall and all goods things that come with it I probably wouldn't watch it follow any of it.

It's just sort of sad observation to watch sports slip away and really not care at all.
I don’t watch much MLB anymore, either. Although the pitch clock does help a lot, what I’ve generally liked most about baseball is starting pitching, and clearly that’s being de-emphasized. So, I’d support rules changes (game, roster and playoff format) that move things back in the direction of starting pitching.

I watch hardly zero regular season NBA. The regular season is just too long and too meaningless.

NFL is in great shape right now, and is fun as hell, because it’s our only truly national sport. The cap works because revenue sharing really works in a national sport.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I see more and more piwple talk about their lost interest in sports as a whole. Part of that was Covid, I believe. Another big part of not is the realization by many (myself included) that the money involved is ridiculous and mostly corrupt.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:42 pm I see more and more piwple talk about their lost interest in sports as a whole. Part of that was Covid, I believe. Another big part of not is the realization by many (myself included) that the money involved is ridiculous and mostly corrupt.
I have to think the fragmentation of broadcasts is hurting, too. Somehow, inexplicably, it’s more complicated/frustrating to be a casual watcher now than it was even five years ago.

And that’s BEFORE you get into giving MLB its well-deserved lashes for its incredibly, stupidly short-sighted blackout rules. Amazing that a sports league cannot seem to internalize that, generally, it’s a good thing to make your product easier to find and watch, not harder.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

All the blackout rules are stupid.

MLB is a bad product on television. Some playoffs excluded.

It might not be a bad product in person. But I’d argue it generally is. I remember the feeling of baseball much more than I do any thing that happened in the games, for the most part. Again, playoffs excluded.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i just stumbled into an article that listed the top 20 nil earners for semi-pro collegiate like basketball for 2024. KU has 2 on the list

#10 kevin mccullar $798,000.00

#7 hunter dickinson $847,000.00

hd is less than i was led to believe. still a fortune. but less than what was reported on the social medias.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:13 pm i just stumbled into an article that listed the top 20 nil earners for semi-pro collegiate like basketball for 2024. KU has 2 on the list

#10 kevin mccullar $798,000.00

#7 hunter dickinson $847,000.00

hd is less than i was led to believe. still a fortune. but less than what was reported on the social medias.
I would question the accuracy of this information but you did not even provide a link to review it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"The enforcement staff needs to go away," Pitino said. "We need to stop all the hypocrisy of NIL. We need to stop it. Because they can't stop it. Whether I'm for it or against it doesn't matter.

"They are professional athletes. Get professionally paid. It's not going away.”
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The hypocrisy of it is cutting against our chances of keeping Furphy, which is pretty lame.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »