Shoe money trial

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Shoe money trial

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:18 pm
reubenc wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:31 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 am There are college professors earning millions or close to millions of dollars a year.
The highest paid academic in the University of Kansas system is a cardiologist at KU Med who earns a little over half a million per year. The highest paid person who looks like they have some sort of teaching-adjacent position in Lawrence is the dean of the business school at $430,000. The highest paid person in Lawrence whose title doesn't indicate additional responsibilities (so no one who has "director" or "provost" or "chair" in their title or responsibilities) is a "Distinguished Professor" of Microeconomics who earned less than a 300,000 in 2017.
How much do our assistant hoops coaches make?
Enough to know better than to fucking text TJ Gassnola, that's for damn sure.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

imzcount wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Ar ... 123482598/

Not good. We forfeiting FF?
Because of what a lawyer said to get his client acquitted? Nah.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:23 pm
imzcount wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Ar ... 123482598/

Plus it's not like the FBI is required to share or turnover the evidence to the NCAA... they may be stuck using the same court room info that we already know....which may be enough if that's the route the want to go. The KT stuff if turned over probably could be classified of lack of institutional control or whatever they call it, but without more digging into SDS stuff by the FBI (which may never happen) they may not have enough evidence to decide they need to punish us.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Plus it's not like the FBI is required to share or turnover the evidence to the NCAA... they may be stuck using the same court room info that we already know....which may be enough if that's the route the want to go. The KT stuff if turned over probably could be classified of lack of institutional control or whatever they call it, but without more digging into SDS stuff by the FBI (which may never happen) they may not have enough evidence to decide they need to punish us.
Well also, as of right now, a barrel is hot and there's a dead body, but there's not quite smoke coming out of the gun. On Silvio, there's nothing that clearly says we paid. On Zion, all we did is express a desire to pay.

Look - I'm not saying that (a) we didn't pay Silvio, or (b) that we didn't actually offer something to Zion. I'm just saying that we're not 100% there on exactly what has been revealed.
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Well also, as of right now, a barrel is hot and there's a dead body, but there's not quite smoke coming out of the gun. On Silvio, there's nothing that clearly says we paid. On Zion, all we did is express a desire to pay.

Look - I'm not saying that (a) we didn't pay Silvio, or (b) that we didn't actually offer something to Zion. I'm just saying that we're not 100% there on exactly what has been revealed.
For sure...

So let's assume we aren't spoken about or involved in the trials to come.....

With what was shown so far there is nothing that would 100% prove SDS took money, right? So we wouldn't be in danger of losing final 4, most likely?

With what has been shown so far in regard to texts and phone calls, involving Self and KT, we might be in danger of the lack of institutional control or whatever the fuck they call it, right? Not for sure 100% guilty case closed, but we may have some exposure there, right? And that's a rule that's largely interpreted however the fuck the ncaa wants to and punished however they decide, right?

Is it bad that I just don't care our coaches were involved in this? I just dont. I don't think it's wrong Adidas wants to pay the best HS players to go to their top Adidas basketball school. It makes sense. I'd take it if I were them too.

If they (the recruit) claimed they deserve it (money) to me, face to face, I'd have a hard time telling them they were wrong, or explaining to them why they wouldnt be the "same" (an ncaa defined amateur) if they took the money.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Sitting Preston when we discovered some payment and Playing Silvio knowing he got paid doesn't make any sense.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:54 pm

For sure...

So let's assume we aren't spoken about or involved in the trials to come.....

With what was shown so far there is nothing that would 100% prove SDS took money, right? So we wouldn't be in danger of losing final 4, most likely? Setting aside the general sentiment I have that it is possible the NCAA does nothing retroactively with any of this, I agree that based only on what's 100% known as of right now, we are highly unlikely to lose the Final Four.

With what has been shown so far in regard to texts and phone calls, involving Self and KT, we might be in danger of the lack of institutional control or whatever the fuck they call it, right? Not for sure 100% guilty case closed, but we may have some exposure there, right? And that's a rule that's largely interpreted however the fuck the ncaa wants to and punished however they decide, right? Generally, this doesn't seem like it rises to the pervasiveness and magnitude of conduct required to find that. But I certainly agree that's a fuzzy line, so maybe the NCAA dings us and makes it so one or two fewer poor kids go to college for some period of time. No biggie, right?

Is it bad that I just don't care our coaches were involved in this? I just dont. I don't think it's wrong Adidas wants to pay the best HS players to go to their top Adidas basketball school. It makes sense. I'd take it if I were them too. As someone who enjoys banners and championships, I'd be pissed if we weren't doing what everyone else at our level generally does. Nothing about this strikes me as "bad" or "wrong", except (a) the idea that these kids shouldn't get paid, and (b) the creation, development, enhancement, tacit endorsement and embrace of a system where the people that the kids have to deal with in order to get their value are fucking loser stooges (who set the kids up for all kinds of problems, including tax problems) facilitating the transfer of value under the table.

If they (the recruit) claimed they deserve it (money) to me, face to face, I'd have a hard time telling them they were wrong, or explaining to them why they wouldnt be the "same" (an ncaa defined amateur) if they took the money. Anyone who looks at these kids different for taking money is, at best, amoral, most likely pretty privileged themselves and just fine with perpetuating a system that, if we're all being honest, has some pretty racist and classist outcomes, and (b) at worst, likes or even cherishes the fact that the system has some pretty racist and classist outcomes.
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

The NCAA doesn’t need proof but do they want to look into all of this, Nike schools included? Do they have the balls to look into Duke and Coach K? No way Zion went there for free. We know Bagley’s got a windfall of cash but it was “legal” to Bagley’s AAU Team. Duke has landed the cream of the crop for a few years. Look into UK as well, Cal seemed awfully confident saying harsher penalties to the guilty and don’t selectively enforce. I don’t know what in the hell he was saying, almost welcoming an investigation of his program.
Last edited by Kyblueblood on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

Kyblueblood wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:37 pm The NCAA doesn’t need proof but do they want to look into all of this, Nike schools included? Do they have the balls to look into Duke and Coach K? No way Zion went there for free. We know Bagley’s got a windfall of cash but it was “legal” to Bagley’s AAU Team. Duke has landed the cream of the crop for a few years. Look into UK as well, Cal seemed awfully confident saying harsher penalties to the guilty and don’t selectively enforce. I don’t know what in the hell he was saying, almost welcoming an investigation of his program.
That's cuz Cal has this down to a science after 20+ years of doing it. Self and KT are still basically rookies at recruit laundering.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

LVCHawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:15 pm
Kyblueblood wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:37 pm The NCAA doesn’t need proof but do they want to look into all of this, Nike schools included? Do they have the balls to look into Duke and Coach K? No way Zion went there for free. We know Bagley’s got a windfall of cash but it was “legal” to Bagley’s AAU Team. Duke has landed the cream of the crop for a few years. Look into UK as well, Cal seemed awfully confident saying harsher penalties to the guilty and don’t selectively enforce. I don’t know what in the hell he was saying, almost welcoming an investigation of his program.
That's cuz Cal has this down to a science after 20+ years of doing it. Self and KT are still basically rookies at recruit laundering.
You believe that Darrell Arthur changed his mind because of a dream?
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

To reach the levels of Self, Cal, Roy, Brown and probably K they have to play by their own rules and trying to not leave a track. As Cal has said, people do not understand the demographics of where some of these kids come from.
I’d rather see the top coaches get together and advocate getting rid of the NCAA as constructed. Start over and bygod give these poor families money to live and eat. They generate millions.
Last edited by Kyblueblood on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 75

The ncaa hasn't been able to catch this for decades. They can look into nike all they want, but they're not the fbi with the ability to get phone records. They can't even get bank statements that aren't offered up by the people they're looking in to. The ncaa is not capable of preventing this.
Deleted User 75

LVCHawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:15 pm
14 straight conference titles is rookie territory? That's new.
Kyblueblood

Post by Kyblueblood »

😂. You’re probably right.
Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

* Deleted post/edited. Don't want to start the day with negativity.

Have a nice day and happy Friday!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Is it bad that I just don't care our coaches were involved in this? I just dont. I don't think it's wrong Adidas wants to pay the best HS players to go to their top Adidas basketball school. It makes sense. I'd take it if I were them too.

If they (the recruit) claimed they deserve it (money) to me, face to face, I'd have a hard time telling them they were wrong, or explaining to them why they wouldnt be the "same" (an ncaa defined amateur) if they took the money.
Honestly, I am in the same boat. I find the whole system to be absurd, the ncaa's management of the system to be absurd and I just do not care whether or not some of our players get money they "shouldn't" or not. Hoping for a squeaky clean elite level program is like hoping for a truthful politician. Shoe companies giving players cash just doesn't bug me. Honestly, I wish we would just switch to Nike and pin our hopes that they won't go after the system that employs Coach K.

Would I feel the same if I was a fan of Iowa State and wasn't really getting any benefit at all from the system? Maybe, maybe not. I doubt it.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Right now KANSAS are the poster boys for the fbi investigation. The "I really don't care, this ain't no thang" crowd would be salivating and licking their chops and planning their funeral if the name KANSAS was substituted by duke or unc or khintuckey or whoever. But because it is KANSAS and HCBS this whole episode ain't no thang.

I think you are in for a disappointment. No way the ncaa looks the other way. No way the ncaa lets this go. No way.

I wouldn't be surprised if we try to get in front of this and do our own internal investigation. Self report. And self impose.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:41 am The "I really don't care, this ain't no thang" crowd would be salivating and licking their chops and planning their funeral if the name KANSAS was substituted by duke or unc or khintuckey or whoever. But because it is KANSAS and HCBS this whole episode ain't no thang.
i think there are a lot that are in this boat...not all, but a lot
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:06 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:41 am The "I really don't care, this ain't no thang" crowd would be salivating and licking their chops and planning their funeral if the name KANSAS was substituted by duke or unc or khintuckey or whoever. But because it is KANSAS and HCBS this whole episode ain't no thang.
Whether you approve or disapprove of how the ncaa conducts their business will not keep us out of their doghouse.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:06 am
Yes. If NCAA comes at Kansas, they better be prepared to go after Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Arizona, and many many many others.

I mean, Creighton even freaking got involved in this stuff. If that's not proof that everyone is doing it, I don't know what is..
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG