defixione
Contributor

Re: Parler

Post by defixione »

This is a BRILLIANT way to use Parler! https://imgur.com/gallery/I9CbiXx
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 pm Not sure if PhD, TDub or I am arguing against booting Trump...( bc fuck him )...but in general, we ain't gonna get anywhere by grouping, vilifying and silencing a large section of the population...regardless if the silencing is done by a private company ( that are under federal scrutiny and regulation for content ).
If private social media platforms are silencing calls of violence, hatred and sedition and it makes conservatives feel like their point of views are being censored then it speaks more about conservative points of view than it does the censorship of them.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:00 pm here is another angle of concern:

why should a handful of private for-profit corporations have so much power to silence world leaders?
Respectfully, this is silly. Every network in the US, and many worldwide, would broadcast a news conference on five minutes’ notice. Trump is hardly “silenced.”

Private companies (like Twitter and Facebook) are understandably quite fucking nervous about being complicit in mass violence.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Why do people keep calling Twitter, Facebook and Amazon "private"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

They're not owned by the government...technically they're public companies. Or at least amazon and facebook are....i believe twitter too
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Yes. “Publicly-traded” does not mean “public” in this context.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:35 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:00 pm here is another angle of concern:

why should a handful of private for-profit corporations have so much power to silence world leaders?
Respectfully, this is silly. Every network in the US, and many worldwide, would broadcast a news conference on five minutes’ notice. Trump is hardly “silenced.”

Private companies (like Twitter and Facebook) are understandably quite fucking nervous about being complicit in mass violence.
Yeah, leawood’s “ Because they should. It’s been that way forever” comment calmed me down about that.

Besides, it’s not like they’re just arbitrarily silencing leaders over petty shit. It’s just cuz one leader in particular continued to post some of the most volatile and dangerous bullshit Merica has ever seen.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

This board is a perfect snapshot of the big nationwide cancel culture mentality. “If you don’t think like I do, I’m gonna cancel you. If you don’t agree with me, I will silence you. If you say something I don’t agree with, I will shout you down.” They preach healing and unity as long as you heal and unify as I shout you to.

50% of this country has decided to demonize and silence.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am This board is a perfect snapshot of the big nationwide cancel culture mentality. “If you don’t think like I do, I’m gonna cancel you. If you don’t agree with me, I will silence you. If you say something I don’t agree with, I will shout you down.” The liberals preach healing and unity as long as you heal and unify as I shout you to.

It takes a deeply-ill outlook to think of the events of the last week as a matter of partisan politics.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mich, do you think free speech should allow you to yell “fire!” in a crowded theater?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I think I heard that one of the first items on the agenda is to eliminate opposing think.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Many people are saying.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:22 am Mich, do you think free speech should allow you to yell “fire!” in a crowded theater?
Mich posted above that he's good with sedition and insurgence, he just doesn't want the gays to get their wedding cakes.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

defixione wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 am
ousdahl wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:22 am Mich, do you think free speech should allow you to yell “fire!” in a crowded theater?
Mich posted above that he's good with sedition and insurgence, he just doesn't want the gays to get their wedding cakes.
And no FREELOADERS!!!!!!!
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:24 am I think I heard that one of the first items on the agenda is to eliminate opposing think.
Time to clear out your ears or turn up your hearing aid.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am This board is a perfect snapshot of the big nationwide cancel culture mentality. “If you don’t think like I do, I’m gonna cancel you. If you don’t agree with me, I will silence you. If you say something I don’t agree with, I will shout you down.” They preach healing and unity as long as you heal and unify as I shout you to.

You're absolutely right. That's exactly what Republicans are trying to do. To be fair, they don't make up 50% but it's close enough.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:38 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am This board is a perfect snapshot of the big nationwide cancel culture mentality. “If you don’t think like I do, I’m gonna cancel you. If you don’t agree with me, I will silence you. If you say something I don’t agree with, I will shout you down.” They preach healing and unity as long as you heal and unify as I shout you to.

You're absolutely right. That's exactly what Republicans are trying to do. To be fair, they don't make up 50% but it's close enough.
https://twitter.com/smotus/status/13482 ... 09568?s=21

https://twitter.com/strandjunker/status ... 33282?s=21
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I suppose it is true that denouncing, suppressing and demonizing armed, violent insurrection in support of a coup is in fact “divisive.”

I would think it is also true that dividing ourselves from those that would incite and participate in armed, violent insurrection in support of a coup would be a good thing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Actually not true at all.
I have banned only three real posters ( but multiple spam posters ).
Gusher, noosh and dolomite.
And dolomite was only temporarily banned.

Now if you’re talking about some very left leaning posters, I’d agree that sometimes they are quite hypocritical.