Q gone...

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Q gone...

Post by jfish26 »

Gqcolorado wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:37 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:34 am What I'll remember most about Grimes is just how little I'll remember of him. The empty space where anything interesting or impressive should be.
Yes. And that is becoming the norm for many players.

Probably a decent part of reason why KU ball has mattered less and less to me in recent years. I’ll admit my venom towards the topic, and Grimes in particular is purely due to a potential loss (in part) of something I’ve personally loved and been passionate about for as long as I could, but right now I’m alright with an NCAA reboot.
Sure, but even other guys who clearly had their foot out the door did some cool shit!
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:43 am Let the players make money above the table and this shit that so many hate happens less.
I don’t disagree in principle, and I really feel that it’s more of a how do we manage this before we start it than a should we do it question at this point.

Players already get way way more than they did 5 years ago, including monthly stipends.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Gqcolorado wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:51 am already get way way more than they did 5 years ago, including monthly stipends.
Yes, but it's still clearly below market.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think he 'stole' anything from Kansas.
It's just disappointing to have players spend a year here and then bounce.
I'd prefer three or four years of a guy.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Gqcolorado wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:51 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:43 am Let the players make money above the table and this shit that so many hate happens less.
I don’t disagree in principle, and I really feel that it’s more of a how do we manage this before we start it than a should we do it question at this point.

Players already get way way more than they did 5 years ago, including monthly stipends.
I get that there's this urge to come up with a system for how to manage outside compensation, but...there really doesn't need to be a system. You don't need to balance it between kids, or funnel money to non-revenue sports, or hold it in trust or whatever else.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:54 am I don't think he 'stole' anything from Kansas.
And yet, you staunchly oppose the single most logical thing that would keep kids in school longer.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Unless this kid shows out in draft workouts and the combine he better be ready to work his ass off to make it at the next level. Everything I have read and heard was that he has people in his ear telling him he should have played point and that Self mishandled him.
You see Self missing out on kids and think it has something to do with the adidas stuff. I believe it has more to do with that elite level kids don't believe that Self and the KU system best prepare them for the NBA.
This is why the 'one and done' rule needs to be re-instated. Get rid of kids that have ZERO interest of wanting to be in college. From the moment he stepped on campus his number one goal was to play in the NBA and Self was tied to him sink or swim. No reasonable explanation for a guy who played as poorly as Grimes did that he should have averaged 30+ minutes a game but Self had to play him.

I wish the kid nothing but the best but this is a prime example of a kid who is probably going to look back at his life with severe regrets and I really feel sorry for him.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:59 am Unless this kid shows out in draft workouts and the combine he better be ready to work his ass off to make it at the next level. Everything I have read and heard was that he has people in his ear telling him he should have played point and that Self mishandled him.
You see Self missing out on kids and think it has something to do with the adidas stuff. I believe it has more to do with that elite level kids don't believe that Self and the KU system best prepare them for the NBA.
This is why the 'one and done' rule needs to be re-instated. Get rid of kids that have ZERO interest of wanting to be in college. From the moment he stepped on campus his number one goal was to play in the NBA and Self was tied to him sink or swim. No reasonable explanation for a guy who played as poorly as Grimes did that he should have averaged 30+ minutes a game but Self had to play him.

I wish the kid nothing but the best but this is a prime example of a kid who is probably going to look back at his life with severe regrets and I really feel sorry for him.
Agree 100%. And maybe he'll prove us (and Bill) wrong and make it in the NBA as a 1. But, Lord, you cannot say he got anything less than a full opportunity to be good here. He was not good.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:33 am There are 2 sides to every coin.

If he comes back and looks similar then he's going to hurt himself even more than he did this year.

If he comes back and looks better, but then tears his ACL he's in a worse spot.

There are scenarios where it works/helps to come back and there are scenarios where it doesn't help.

But only 1 of those scenarios results in him playing for free when he could get paid to play.
Based on how he played, his smartest mive might be to get a degree. He's probably not going anywhere long term that will make him rich. He's gonna need to get a job after his 4 years in Australia.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I just don't think I can buy the "he should have played point" rationale.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:17 am I just don't think I can buy the "he should have played point" rationale.
His camp need(s)(ed) a scapegoat.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

That scapegoat is also Bill Self. It is best that Q moves on. He didn't want to be here and I'm sure by the end of the year the feeling was mutual from Self and his staff. Best for both parties to move on.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:23 am yeah, Quentin shouldn't leave after one year! He should follow the lead of guys like Selden!

You know, cuz Selden stuck around for three years to work on his game so he could...uh, still go undrafted and ultimately get that contract by working his ass off in G League instead...nm
I think there is a decent chance that if selden left after his freshman year he'd have gotten drafted. I also think there's a decent chance that his NBA career would already be over. I think he learned a lot by staying and maturing (as lobster keeps saying) that likely helped him through. Signing a second contract is so much more important than being a second round pick.

For Grimes, I'm not sure if he is capable of having a workout that overcomes what he showed in games. If it's really in there, he should stay and prove it. If it's not there he's not going to be succesful anyway.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:23 am yeah, Quentin shouldn't leave after one year! He should follow the lead of guys like Selden!

You know, cuz Selden stuck around for three years to work on his game so he could...uh, still go undrafted and ultimately get that contract by working his ass off in G League instead...nm
I think there is a decent chance that if selden left after his freshman year he'd have gotten drafted. I also think there's a decent chance that his NBA career would already be over. I think he learned a lot by staying and maturing (as lobster keeps saying) that likely helped him through. Signing a second contract is so much more important than being a second round pick.

For Grimes, I'm not sure if he is capable of having a workout that overcomes what he showed in games. If it's really in there, he should stay and prove it. If it's not there he's not going to be succesful anyway.
Yes, like I said, his new goal needs to be getting drafted at all. This summer, next summer, or whenever.

His stock is the lowest it's ever been.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:28 am

Yes, like I said, his new goal needs to be getting drafted at all. This summer, next summer, or whenever.

But, his stock might now reflect reality more than it ever has.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:31 am

Probably, can it get lower though? I doubt it, in the sense that undrafted is undrafted.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:31 am

Maybe! Maybe not!

The talent that both got him highly ranked and - and this is important! - endeared him to Bill Self is in there.

I agree that Selden is a good analog. Selden figured out that he needed to recalibrate his expectations from "NBA Star" to "NBA Player". Because he realized he wasn't going to be the former, he put himself in a position to be the latter.

Like I said, maybe Grimes proves everyone wrong. I think, though, that leaving now indicates his camp still perceives him to have NBA Star potential (and that this misread might well cost him a chance to be an NBA Player).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:55 am
pdub wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:54 am I don't think he 'stole' anything from Kansas.
And yet, you staunchly oppose the single most logical thing that would keep kids in school longer.
I want more kids who want to be here rather than more Quentin Grimes's.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

To quote Plano: “JFC.”
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:13 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:33 am There are 2 sides to every coin.

If he comes back and looks similar then he's going to hurt himself even more than he did this year.

If he comes back and looks better, but then tears his ACL he's in a worse spot.

There are scenarios where it works/helps to come back and there are scenarios where it doesn't help.

But only 1 of those scenarios results in him playing for free when he could get paid to play.
Based on how he played, his smartest mive might be to get a degree. He's probably not going anywhere long term that will make him rich. He's gonna need to get a job after his 4 years in Australia.
No doubt that there's a chance you're correct, but he can do that after playing 4 years in Australia. I'd hope that he'd always be welcome back to Kansas free of charge.