Boulder game cancelled

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Boulder game cancelled

Post by ousdahl »

My lack of masking is my own fault, yeah.

But I struggle to take responsibility for beav’s attitude and views.

And I didn’t say total extreme lockdown. Just two weeks of voluntary self tests, which might give us a really good road map to navigate the pandemic.

But again, too many beavs would refuse to buy into any such effort
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:51 am If sports leagues want to get to the point where they can stop testing fully vaccinated, asymptomatic people, then they should make the vaccine mandatory. If everyone is fully vaccinated and every game, the biggest risk is fully vaccinated people spreading it to other fully vaccinated people, then it becomes like every other communicable disease. The vaccine is proven to work against serious illness, hospitalization, and death so if you want to treat it like the flu or the common cold, make everyone get vaccinated.
Agreed. Everyone in the arena should be vaccinated and most of these problems go away. But we got a bunch for dumbdumbs in this country.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:56 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:51 am If sports leagues want to get to the point where they can stop testing fully vaccinated, asymptomatic people, then they should make the vaccine mandatory. If everyone is fully vaccinated and every game, the biggest risk is fully vaccinated people spreading it to other fully vaccinated people, then it becomes like every other communicable disease. The vaccine is proven to work against serious illness, hospitalization, and death so if you want to treat it like the flu or the common cold, make everyone get vaccinated.
Agreed. Everyone in the arena should be vaccinated and most of these problems go away. But we got a bunch for dumbdumbs in this country.
Only 18% of americans are boosted...
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:55 am My lack of masking is my own fault, yeah.

But I struggle to take responsibility for beav’s attitude and views.

And I didn’t say total extreme lockdown. Just two weeks of voluntary self tests, which might give us a really good road map to navigate the pandemic.

But again, too many beavs would refuse to buy into any such effort
Actions speak louder than words.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:26 am
Cascadia wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:56 am
Only 18% of americans are boosted...
Like I said, bunch of dumbdumbs in this country
Deleted User 863

I haven't had a booster. But if I were older or high risk I absolutely would have already had my 3rd shot.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

when i have questions and or concerns about my healthcare, i consult my primary care physician. not the whackjobs on the social medias.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And yet, how many Mericans would rather get health advice from the social medias
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

It's really sad when guys like Kyrie have more influence on the health and safety of the county/world than those pesky experts who spent their lives studying that exact topic.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

sdoyel wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:28 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:20 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:54 am

Famous last words. If they keep testing asymptomatic people covid is a concern for every team.
They only test after someone complains of symptoms. Then they test those that the symptomatic person has been around. They aren't just administering tests to everyone every morning regardless. That would be insanely expensive.
How do you know this as fact?
Because I researched it. It took five seconds:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... rylink=cpy

It was explained by Self that what happened is one of Colorado’s players had COVID-like symptoms on Tuesday morning and tested positive. The KU players, who arrived in Boulder on Monday afternoon, and CU players wanted the Buffs to be tested considering players from both teams are headed home for a short Christmas vacation starting Wednesday. KU’s players didn’t have to be tested for COVID on Tuesday because nobody on the team had symptoms.

Colorado had a pair of additional players test positive during the day Tuesday. The game was called off about 5 p.m. A Star reporter was not allowed to enter the building at that time, security guards reporting that the game was off because of positive tests of players, not specifying which team’s players.

“We found out this morning they had a positive, then we discussed what the fair strategy would be,” Self said. “They all wanted to test and all our players wanted to test. The fairest strategy was to to get all their players tested in a time frame that would give us time to either play the game or not play the game. They did. Unfortunately they came back with results they were hoping they weren’t going to get.

He also stated the following earlier in the week:

"Self explained that there’s currently “no testing protocol. There’s symptoms. Symptoms create a mandate to test now. If you don’t have symptoms you are not tested. As soon as you get symptoms you are tested for everything. That’s how it works.”

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/article25659 ... rylink=cpy
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:45 am It's really sad when guys like Kyrie have more influence on the health and safety of the county/world than those pesky experts who spent their lives studying that exact topic.
I am sure that hundreds of millions of people have gotten vaccinated thanks in large part to the information provided by the experts on vaccinations and global health.

I doubt that hundreds of millions of people have chosen not to get vaccinated due to the information provided by Kyrie Irving.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:44 am Suggested before, but if every Merican got and took tests every day for a couple weeks, couldn’t we identify and isolate much of this?

Not that Mericans would ever buy in.

For instance! I’m sitting there feeling ashamed for being the only doods in Boulder not wearing masks, particularly in my KU gear so I’m making my alma mater look like a buncha ignorant rednecks. I feel like all the crunchy Boulderites are looking down their noses at us, not that I can see their noses cuz they’re masked.

Meanwhile, beav is there just oblivious.

I ask if he has a mask, or if he’s seen anywhere offering any. He replies, I ain’t gonna put it on unless somebody asks me to.

I mention every door in town has a sign asking to mask before entrance, and in case he hasn’t noticed, we’re the only ones not masked. He hadn’t noticed.

He puffs up in that stubborn magahead kinda way, and then declares, “well that sounds like a THEM problem”

I can’t even.
1) who is footing the bill for all those tests?
2) why on earth do you think that the people who are unvaccinated would participate in daily testing?
3) why are complaining about your roommate's belligerence towards masks when you weren't wearing one, either and why would you feel remotely responsible for his behavior?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

1. Didn’t gummint just announce they bought like 500m tests?
2. Like I said, not that Mericans would ever buy in
3. Like I said, I felt ashamed. I would have put one on if I didn’t forget one (usually there’s one in my jacket but I had on my KU game day sweatshirt, duh.) I keep extras in my truck but Beav doesn’t, and he drove. I woulda gladly masked if the place we ate offered any. I’m not sure Beav would have. But I don’t feel responsible for him being all stubborn. I just shared his position as an illustration. Quite the profile in Merican pandemic response. One man’s shame is another man’s freedum.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ok, and I kinda think the act of wearing a mask for dining out is largely performative, considering it’s only worn from the like 50 feet from the door to the table, then comes off anyway. If we were that worried, we wouldn’t dine out, but that’s a different can of worms.

But still. I think a lot is a testament to social norms? I noticed right away, and felt out of place. Beav didn’t notice, and when it was pointed out for him, instead reacted with a certain egocentric pride
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I would guess that the ROI on testing is extraordinary.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:56 pm 1. Didn’t gummint just announce they bought like 500m tests?
2. Like I said, not that Mericans would ever buy in
3. Like I said, I felt ashamed. I would have put one on if I didn’t forget one (usually there’s one in my jacket but I had on my KU game day sweatshirt, duh.) I keep extras in my truck but Beav doesn’t, and he drove. I woulda gladly masked if the place we ate offered any. I’m not sure Beav would have. But I don’t feel responsible for him being all stubborn. I just shared his position as an illustration. Quite the profile in Merican pandemic response. One man’s shame is another man’s freedum.
1. You are talking about 14 tests for every one of the 329+ million people in America. So your plan would require 4.6 billion tests. At what, $25 a pop? That's $115 billion. Good luck with that.
2. We agree.
3. I just keep a bunch in my glove compartment of each car we have so I always have one.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

4.6 billion seems like a big number, though the gummint DID just buy 500 million, so it seems doable considering we’re pretty much like 1/9th the way there.

And I agree that ROI on testing would, or at least could, be extraordinary.

But yea, not enough Mericans would be on bored with it.

Besides, the federal gummint would much rather spend that cash on bombs and shit.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:41 pm 4.6 billion seems like a big number, though the gummint DID just buy 500 million, so it seems doable considering we’re pretty much like 1/9th the way there.

And I agree that ROI on testing would, or at least could, be extraordinary.

But yea, not enough Mericans would be on bored with it.

Besides, the federal gummint would much rather spend that cash on bombs and shit.
4.6 billion IS a big number. It's a huge number. And those 4.6 billion tests would have to be distributed to people PRIOR to the 2 week period so that everyone had the tests and was ready. You couldn't just tell everyone "go down to Walgreens and hope they have 14 tests on the shelves" because it would be a waste. Our Walgreens barely has any on the shelves right now. We are getting ready to take a large family trip on Christmas Day and we all are going to take a covid test to ensure we aren't positive prior to getting on a plane. It took trips to three different Walgreens to find 8 tests.

Based on the current supply chain issues, how confident are you that they have enough materials to create that many tests and enough shipping available to distribute those tests to every American prior to a 2 week testing period beginning?

That 2 week period would start in about 2 years.

So it's one thing to just throw a flippant comment out there and another thing entirely to think through the reality of what it means. "The government should just....." is almost always followed by some absurdly unrealistic statement.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

There is absolutely no reason to test anyone at this point unless they are showing symptoms. Everyone has had a million chances to get vaccinated at this point.

Societies kind of reaching a point where we are either gonna be soft and play these stupid games forever or we are going to be realistic and get back to reality (letting healthy kids play basketball and not canceling events for no fucking reason)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea but that’s the thing.

A CU player WAS showing symptoms