Israel/Palestine

Ugh.
mjl2
Contributor

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by mjl2 »

They've been moving weapons to Israel's northern border for years.
They fly them into Syria. That's why Israel keeps bombing Syrian airports.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

mjl2 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:13 pm
mjl2 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:56 am
jfish26 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:29 am

There's a lot we need to know here. Including whether there is outside support for this aggression.
Has to be. Palestinians aren't manufacturing these weapons in Gaza. And they aren't capable of coordinating something like this on their own.

Iran had every reason to do this. They won. Their goal is to stop the Israeli - Saudi normalization that appeared very close. They've probably succeeded.

The truly frightening possibility is that it goes beyond that - that they have nukes and will use the international backlash against what Israel is about to do as reason to use them.
So hopefully minus the nukes, seems like we are here
Maybe. I'm afraid the options are (1) back down (appeasement), or (2) call the (hopefully) bluff.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Yeah. I meant hopefully no nukes, not hopefully we're at the point of Iran getting involved.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

BREAKING President Biden will visit Israel on Wednesday

Makes me wonder if that means Israel won't invade Gaza before then?

SoS Blinken:

"President Biden will visit Israel."

"The President will reaffirm the United States' solidarity with Israel and our ironclad commitment to its security."

"The President will hear from Israel what it needs to defend its people."
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:32 pm BREAKING President Biden will visit Israel on Wednesday

Makes me wonder if that means Israel won't invade Gaza before then?

SoS Blinken:

"President Biden will visit Israel."

"The President will reaffirm the United States' solidarity with Israel and our ironclad commitment to its security."

"The President will hear from Israel what it needs to defend its people."
Sure feels like a way to keep them from crossing a line we (the US) won’t draw out loud…right?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

for real tho, what can we expect of Biden’s visit to Israel?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:13 am for real tho, what can we expect of Biden’s visit to Israel?
I'm expecting a stumble down/up some stairs, a few verbal blunders, a photo op or two, him saying the USA fully supports Israel in its fight against terrorism, and not much else.
What am I supposed to be expecting other than that?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

well, he is meeting with a number of regional Arab leaders in Jordan, but i’m sure that’s nbd
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

he might fall asleep in that meeting.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

omg…so funny, mich

you must’ve taken your meds this morning
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:23 am he might fall asleep in that meeting.
Wasn't it only a day or two ago that you said you had no agenda? Because limp, stale jokes rooted in an obviously-biased, fact-free stereotype of Biden being doddering and ineffectual sure would run contrary to such purported open-mindedness.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Based on experience, I don't envy anyone having to stay awake for boring meetings, (or nearly anything else), the first day or two after flying eastward. The ensuing jet-lag after traveling in direct opposition to your body clock, can be brutal.

I once read that former SoS Kissinger had an amazing ability to avoid jet-lag, being able to land and enter into complicated negotiations immediately.

#lifeisnotfair
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:20 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:13 am for real tho, what can we expect of Biden’s visit to Israel?
I'm expecting a stumble down/up some stairs, a few verbal blunders, a photo op or two, him saying the USA fully supports Israel in its fight against terrorism, and not much else.
What am I supposed to be expecting other than that?
I might sprinkle in some half-assed call for humanitarian aid, but in measures that pale in comparison to military aid, while saying it in a way that scapegoats like Egypt or something for it not happening sooner.

And calling for humanitarian aid while also veering away from speaking of Palestinians as humans, and toward the blanket label of “TeRrOrIsTs!!!”; as if every single one of the million plus displaced (half of whom are kids) deserve every last bit of what’s happening to them.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

U.S. and other foreign officials worked successfully behind-the-scenes to convince Israel to back off an initial 24-hour evacuation notice to some 1 million people living in northern Gaza.

…some Arab officials are rooting for U.S. efforts to succeed, though they acknowledge it could be a while before long-term results.

“There is no doubt in my mind that without American leadership, we would be in a far tougher position now,” one Arab diplomat said.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Looks like a hospital got hit badly. No details - but a missile from an Israeli plane can't cause that much damage as what is seen.

Likely a Hamas weapons depot was in the hospital. Fucked up no matter what. If that was from an airstrike, they need to stop right now and go in on the ground - although that's what everyone is pleading them not to do. So again, everyone is fucked no matter what.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

mjl2 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:01 pm So again, everyone is fucked no matter what.
I think that sums it up.
Defense. Rebounds.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

mjl2 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:01 pm Looks like a hospital got hit badly. No details - but a missile from an Israeli plane can't cause that much damage as what is seen.

Likely a Hamas weapons depot was in the hospital. Fucked up no matter what. If that was from an airstrike, they need to stop right now and go in on the ground - although that's what everyone is pleading them not to do. So again, everyone is fucked no matter what.
FWIW, IDF says Hamas tried to launch long-range missiles from near the hospital and screwed up the launch.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man, all that “hospital damage was Hamas” seems once again pretty gaslighty. as if Israel is NOT indiscriminately bombing the fuck out of Gaza either way.

But, let’s roll with it, and assume Hamas did somehow get a bunch of long range missiles into one of the most intensely surveilled places in the world.

At the very least, it’s a testament to Israeli security being a clown show.