Professionalism part deux

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Professionalism part deux

Post by ousdahl »

I honestly don’t mind him doing it. It’s kinda weird to become aware of it passively thru some OOO reply, but whatevs.

And I would certainly not mind if it was a matter of him keeping tabs on things as part of some leadership role.

But as a whole he’s not much of a leader. kinda passive. Almost aloof, even, at times.

So as far as I can tell, he’s doing it just cuz he can.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think owners should go through private emails unless there is outside action, like a lawsuit.

I.e. if there's rumors of internal complaints or subordination, they should stay far away and respect their employees. If it was a large enough company, itd be best if there was an HR manager who could objectively be the mediator if emails needed to be searched with the IT dept.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"And I would certainly not mind if it was a matter of him keeping tabs on things as part of some leadership role."

This is a sign of bad leadership to me.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:18 pm You sure you aren’t putting words in my mouth again?

And you *suuure* this is the argument you wanna make?

you gonna be the guy who tells a semi-retired capitalist it’s not his prerogative to do damn near whatever he desires?

If he wants to delegate his work to his employees, you gonna tell him he can’t?

If he shows up late or misses a meeting or decides to just go golf all day, are you gonna be the one to fire him?
Im not making any argument. Youre the one that was lamenting how "hard" it was to do it all from the golf course. I mean, i know he doesnt have nearly the stress of the fry cook.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ok, that was funny
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:04 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:18 pm You sure you aren’t putting words in my mouth again?

you gonna be the guy who tells a semi-retired capitalist it’s not his prerogative to do damn near whatever he desires?

If he shows up late or misses a meeting or decides to just go golf all day, are you gonna be the one to fire him?
Im not making any argument. Youre the one that was lamenting how "hard" it was to do it all from the golf course. I mean, i know he doesnt have nearly the stress of the fry cook.
You keep saying that. I was a cook for 20 years. Not necessarily a fry cook but I occasionally fried stuff. That can be a very stressful job. Other cooks yelling at you, servers yelling at you, owners/managers yelling at you to get that sheet out and get it right, and then the egg yolk breaks all over the plate and you have to start it all over again, and look 5 more tickets just got called. It's 100 freakin degrees outside and there's no AC in the kitchen and your knees are shot and your hollandaise just broke.

Can we cool it with the fry cook stuff?
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

holy fuck...99 is triggered lol
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But I thought the only thing fry cooks have to stress about was whether they were gonna make that birdie putt?

For real tho, 99 potd!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:14 pm

You keep saying that. I was a cook for 20 years. Not necessarily a fry cook but I occasionally fried stuff. That can be a very stressful job. Other cooks yelling at you, servers yelling at you, owners/managers yelling at you to get that sheet out and get it right, and then the egg yolk breaks all over the plate and you have to start it all over again, and look 5 more tickets just got called. It's 100 freakin degrees outside and there's no AC in the kitchen and your knees are shot and your hollandaise just broke.

99, no disrepect and i am not disparaging chefs and cooks. But, running a kitchen/working in a restaurant kitchen is decidely different/more difficult and more stressful than the dude at mcdonalds dropping frozen fries in oil.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yeah, I got triggered. And the stress was mostly left at work when I went home, until I was da man, then it was stress all the time.

I did work at McD's as a kid in the 70's. Brown, poly suit, paper hat, the whole bit. Which is pretty stressful itself.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:21 pm But I thought the only thing fry cooks have to stress about was whether they were gonna make that birdie putt?

For real tho, 99 potd!
Youre ridiculous. You want to be taken seriously, but how can anybody do so when they have to wade through so many nonsense posts to find any substance worth discussion?
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:26 pm Yeah, I got triggered. And the stress was mostly left at work when I went home, until I was da man, then it was stress all the time.

I did work at McD's as a kid in the 70's. Brown, poly suit, paper hat, the whole bit. Which is pretty stressful itself.
I worked at pizza hut and mickeys and quiznos. Its something.....but stressful isnt it, the stress pales in comparison to the stress of career jobs, particularly as your responsibility increases.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

context, I guess?

Or, if helps, just don’t ever take me seriously.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I wouldnt...except you make ridiculous statements and repeatedly reiterate how serious you are and how you mean it literally while demanding sincere and honest dialogue in return.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so, context, I guess?

But fwiw I mean shit in good fun here. Let’s all try to just have a good time, and not get caught up in personal spats.

unless it’s the QT thread
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:14 pm

I never understood why food service was a target for jobs being easy. They aren't. You have to work quick, it can be physically demanding, you have to do lots of different things, and juggle lots of balls, often have to deal with the public.

There are lots of easier jobs, I went to play miniature golf. The girl sitting behind the counter was watching tv, all she had to do was take your money, when someone came in, hand you a pencil and score sheet, and point to the putters. That was an easy low stress job.

I had a friend who used to repair pallets for a company. He got paid like $10 a pallet, worked at his own pace, made his own schedule, it was somewhat physical work. But, much much easier/less stressful than working in the food industry.

Easiest/Less Stressful jobs I've ever had were: 1. Putting plastic slats in a chain-link fence for a business that wanted a privacy fence around their property for $8 an hour. It was hot and in the summer, but it was much easier than when I worked fast food. 2. My best friend from HS had a grandfather who owned a tire shop and they had fields and warehouses full of old tires that couldn't be re-used. We spent the summer going back and forth from the dump to unload tires. That's a pretty easy/low stress job. Clothes got dirty and my back got strong, but it was a helluva lot easier than food service.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah. It’s a shame that food service work ever got cast as “easy,” not stressful, not deserving of more than high school wages, etc.

Especially when you consider many folks might not have better job opportunities, and might have to work multiple service jobs just to make ends meet.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Service/food industry jobs are plenty stressful. On certain days, it was the most stressful job I have ever had. It gets exacerbated by the unlivable wage, the fact you have no leverage with the higher ups, have to fight for hours and even your job daily, and dealing with the worst people in the world on a day to day basis.

And we wonder why people are fed the fuck up.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’ll add hospitality workers generally too

As difficult as the average customer can be, yall only get more difficulter when you’re tired and/or hungry.

Reality show idea:

service workers get to treat the customers like customers treat the service workers for a day.

(I wonder how much of it all comes down to some issue of classism)
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think the primary difference in stress at a food service job vs the career jobs is the manner in which you experience the stress.

In food service, or lots of other hourly type gigs, you are under a substantial amount of stress when you are on the clock. But, usually you don't take your work home with you.

At my current job, I have very little stress day to day. But stress is more like, that I have a Tenure promotion portfolio due on September 10, and Grant proposals due September 28 and October 25 that are hanging over my head, but there's nothing actually stressful about doing any of them, I calmly sit at a computer and write, it's the deadline and that there's a lot riding on them (Graduate student Stipends for example) that makes it stressful. But I don't have anyone yelling at me to finish the paragraph quick, like you might get yelled at to remake the burger this time with no cheese, all while the timer on the bun toaster is beeping at you.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.