Auto collision repair

Coffee talk.
DrPepper

Auto collision repair

Post by DrPepper »

My car was rear ended at a stoplight. I don’t know if it is relevant, but it was a high school student who hit me and she was driving a 2011 BMW. We humans are fine, but the cars are not. The other car insurance agency (Safeco) is accepting liability.

Do I just trust Safeco’s preferred collision repair shop? Safeco said I could use any shop I want, but that Safeco would only guarantee the work if their shop did it.

Im just happy that people are fine and that my car is not going to be totaled, But I also don’t wanna make a naive mistake.
Any knowledgeable thoughts on this? My car is a Honda Element (fantastic car and there is nothing else on the road like them at a price I’m willing to pay).
DrPepper

Re: Auto collision repair

Post by DrPepper »

And thanks in advance
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Just a little more info: my airbags did not go off but hers did. My drivers side doors now have a hitch in them when I open and close them. My read bumper was dangling by a thread, but the rear doors (tailgate +1) seemed fine to me.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Most shops have their own guarantees.
If it is a large and reputable shop, I wouldn't worry.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We had Safeco for a lot of years for car and home. They seem pretty reputable. They should give you a list of their approved shops. Research them or take it to one who will guarantee their work.
Defense. Rebounds.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Some states have laws forbidding insurance companies from requiring the use of their contracted shop. I don't know if New York is one of those states, but you should find out.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
shindig

Post by shindig »

I'd call the Honda dealer you bought it from and ask them. Last thing you want is the shop to put on some cheap Chinese bumpers to save them a few bucks. I would have your dealership re-pair it. When my Audi was re-ended a few years ago, I would only let the dealer repair it even though the ladies insurance company gave me a list "they" recommended.
Last edited by shindig on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm Most shops have their own guarantees.
If it is a large and reputable shop, I wouldn't worry.
yeah, I'm not super familiar with how this stuff works, but I didn't even know insurance companies offered guarantees.

I'd search for the shop with the best rating and reputation - which, presumably, would guarantee its own work. If that happens to also be the shop the insurance guarantees, great. But why go with a (potentially inferior) shop just cuz insurance will pay for it again if it's shoddy work? Get it done right the first time.

ETA good point as well shindig. Make sure OEM parts and stuff are all used. Ask that as part of the search.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Thanks, everyone. I'm still waiting to hear if they are going to fix or squish. :(
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Be very cognizant about your body. Flare ups can occur even a couple of days after an accident.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Well, they are going to total it. I am not surprised as it was an older car (2005). But in miles it was barely past puberty (133k).
It didn't "look" bad to me and I drove it to the shop. The collision shop said >$11k for the rear bumper, read body panel, floor pan, and something about the frame rail on the left side being sheared off. Finding a replacement Element is going to be so hard!! Not fair!!!
shindig

Post by shindig »

I guess they don't make Elements any more? Should be able to find a good used one. Try CarMax or CarGuru. Both sites will ship them for a nominal fee. I bought my Audi through CarMax, it was shipped from Dallas to KC for $200 I think.
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »