Duke

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Duke

Post by randylahey »

I know none of us like them. but I have a feeling they are going to do some things worth discussing this year. KU and duke are likely the top 2 teams all season. They are young.. but in their premiere Barrett and Williamson looked like if Kobe and Lebron teamed up in college in the one and done era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yIo8wqqmHk
Deleted User 75

Re: Duke

Post by Deleted User 75 »

LeBron and Kobe!!!!......good luck to them trying to live up to that.

....fuck duke.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Fuck duke
Just Ledoux it
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Maybe Kentucky is over-rated and not that good. Simple offense. Poor defense. So-so X's and O's coaching. Hate to say it but I agree with illy, not ready to put Duke's team on Mt Rushmore yet.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what’s it take for K to sit Zion?
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I definitely think they're the favorite after seeing game 1.....but the favorite doesn't always win the national title. You win the national title in April, not November. Single elimination isn't often kind to teams lead by predominately freshman.

I'm confident we will be 1 of about 10 teams that end up with a chance to win it all. You pretty much have to take that and then see how the cookie crumbles come those 6 (hopefully) games in march/april. It's too crazy. Too many unknowns. Upsets happen every year. Some of the best teams over the last 30 years didn't win the national title.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Fuck Duke.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

Duke, winning National Championships in November since...
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Duke's great. So are we. A KU/Duke final would be amazing, and I'd guess Duke would be favored by 2.5. I wouldn't hate our chances.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

They are pretty impressive, so far. They are very young though. Should be interesting should we meet up with them, and I hope we do. Loved beating them last year.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 pm Duke's great. So are we. A KU/Duke final would be amazing, and I'd guess Duke would be favored by 2.5. I wouldn't hate our chances.
A couple of days ago you said, "Something will have gone quite haywire if we see them before the Final Four. This is a two-team season".

I happen to agree that as of today KU and Duke are probably the 2 best teams but I wouldn't pretend I know that there are no other teams the rest of the season that definitely won't be superior to either team.

Thing is, you, I, and most other people, realize "haywire" happens basically every season.

I'll remind you and everyone else that last season preseason Duke was #1 in the AP and USA and KU was #4 in the AP and #3 in the USA Today.
"Haywire" or not, we saw them before the Final Four.
Other preseason top 4 teams (there were 5 because of the 2 separate polls) MSU lost their 2nd game in the tournament, UK lost in the Sweet 16, and Arizona lost their first game in the tournament.
Preseason #6 Nova won the NC.

2017 season - Duke, Kentucky, KU, and Nova were pre-season 1,2,3,and 4 in the AP and USA Today and NONE of those 4 teams made it to the Final Four.
Preseason #6 UNC won the NC

2016 season - UNC and Kentucky were preseason 1 and 2 and then Maryland was #3 and you had either KU or Duke #4 and #5. Would it have been wrong if UNC and Kentucky fans felt it was a "two-team season" after their first games? I ask because Kentucky didn't make it past the first weekend in the tournament. UNC was the only one of those 5 teams that made it to the Final Four.

Of course you and/or anyone else could then throw 2015 in my face and say look how 3 of the top 4 preseason teams made the Final Four and the 4th lost in the Elite 8 but moving on.....

2014 season - Duke was a top 4 preseason. Lost their 1st game in the tournament and the only top 4 preseason to make the Final Four was 8 seed Kentucky.

2013 season - Louisville was the only top 4 preseason to play in the Final Four and #3 Kentucky didn't even make the NCAA Tournament.

2012 season - 3 of the top 4 preseason teams did well in the tournament (UNC, Kentucky, and Ohio State) but UConn found a way to lose their first game in the tourney.

2011 season - That may have been the most "haywire" season. We had a 3, 4, 8, and 11 seed in the Final Four.
None of the 5 teams that were preseason top 4 (different polls had either OSU or Pitt not in their top 4) made it to the Final Four and none of those 5 teams made it past the Sweet 16. MSU lost in the 1st round and two other teams lost in the 2nd round.

2010 season - Debacle. How did preseason #1 KU fare? That's right! We freaking lost to UNI.
While MSU made it to the Final 4 and Kentucky the Elite 8, Texas lost in the 1st round and UNC didn't even make the freaking tournament.

Point of all of that, like I said, Haywire happens each and every season. At least every season - not named the 2015 season.

Now watch, KU will play Duke for the NC, Duke is a 2.5 point favorite, and we beat them.
Let's hope so!
Jayhawks14

Post by Jayhawks14 »

Everyone crowning DOOK the Champs with a win against a team that I can easily see dropping out of the Top 25 this year. UK with the same story, great recruiting class and none of them can shoot the ball from 3 or defend. Fuck the Dookies and Dookie V
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

I complain most years how Duke loses certain weeks and doesn't seem to drop in the polls. After Tuesday though, I have no issue with them being #1. What I saw from Kansas in the first half Tuesday when we were bringing in wave after wave of players, makes me think we'd do fine playing against them. Self is a better coach than Cal.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I didn't know it was there. I like it a lot, but it would be better if it was at the bottom of the page so that I wouldn't have to scroll to the top.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DrPepper wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:24 am I didn't know it was there. I like it a lot, but it would be better if it was at the bottom of the page so that I wouldn't have to scroll to the top.
Good one, Gutter!
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

The only thing the Duke/UK game exposed is just how bad of a coach Calipari actually is. Dude is awful at X's and O's, doesn't teach/stress any individual or team defense, and he can't develop talent. He's a great recruiter and self-promoter, but that's really it. If he doesn't have superior talent, he's not going to win. That's been his track record his entire career. Ever wonder why he won't coach in a major basketball conference?

Atlantic 10
Conference USA
SEC

There is a reason for this, it inflates his win totals every year.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Duke's top 3 players are better than our top 3 players but we far outclass them from players 4-12. Their front court rotation of Bolden, White and DeLaurier is suspect and their bench guard rotation of Goldwire and O'Connell is way below what KU brings in. I think KU would grind Duke to a pulp down low.

Self is also a much better X's and O's coach than Cal and could scheme better against what Duke ran and better expose their young players on defense.

UK was shellshocked like we were vs. UK in that 72-40 trainwreck. Duke isn't as good as what the game result was.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Truth is full of hot takes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:41 pm what’s it take for K to sit Zion?
for the record, in no way did I mean this in a "dook is too much to handle with him" kinda way." Bring em on.

This comment pertains more to the whole amateurism/eligibility angle in general.

I mean, if Zion played for KU, would Self sit him? Based on the comments made in FBI trials and stuff.