Hack-a-Doke?

Kansas Basketball.
jhawk73

Hack-a-Doke?

Post by jhawk73 »

Anyone care to lay odds on whether Lon Kruger's crowd will rejuvenate last year's Hack-a-Doke strategy on Wednesday? He isn't shooting free throws any better this season than last:
vs Eastern Michigan 3 of 6
this season 11 of 31 (35.5%)
last season 45 of 109 (41.3%)
Big men always seem to have trouble with free throws but Doke is the extreme example of that.
"Anything from Missouri has a taint about it. ... We're from Kansas. Jayhawkers, and proud of it."
randylahey

Re: Hack-a-Doke?

Post by randylahey »

fuckkk. forget about krugers little late game tactic he pulled on us
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Bill's bullshit in that game was worse than Kruger's
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

stubbornness
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:38 am Bill's bullshit in that game was worse than Kruger's
Boy that was a hot topic on .net for a longgggg time.

I didn't mind it at the time and still really don't considering that Dok seemed to get a bit better from the line and KU still won conference title and went to Final 4.

But I do think with the added depth of the front court, Self will not do that this year. He will put the Lawson bros out there in the crunch time scenarios and go from there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

If we are up 10-12 points like we should be there will be bo problems...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:46 am If we are up 10-12 points like we should be there will be bo problems...
well, I'm not going to count on that. I can still remember the Stanford game and the NMSU game, and OU is better than both of those teams. This team doesn't put teams away like they should, we were in control of the ASU game for most of the first 36 minutes and blew it. Vermont and Louisiana were closer than they should have been for most of the game, we were only up 3 against Wofford at halftime.

This team should cruise through conference with a 16-2 type record, but if we let teams hang around, coaches like Kruger can bullshit their way into a win or two and KU goes 14-4 or something.

Gutter-meter me.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:34 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:38 am Bill's bullshit in that game was worse than Kruger's
Boy that was a hot topic on .net for a longgggg time.

I didn't mind it at the time and still really don't considering that Dok seemed to get a bit better from the line and KU still won conference title and went to Final 4.

But I do think with the added depth of the front court, Self will not do that this year. He will put the Lawson bros out there in the crunch time scenarios and go from there.
Well as it kind of got lost in the shuffle last year, Self admitted quickly that it was a mistake. And, it was. He also changed that rotation up following that game.

Glad the bullet was dodged. If Keenan Evans wouldn't have gone down at the end of conference play, that game would have had maybe the biggest microscope on it of any conference game in the Self era.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I’m with the idea Doke is going to tap into the embarrassment of this bullshit and be a nightmare for Kruger tonight.
I am, I said.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

...everywhere except the foul line, most likely.

Doke is what he is. An 8-10 game doesn't mean he's fixed. A 3-10 game doesn't mean he's even more broken. Any suggestion to the contrary either way is just narrative and noise.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

At this point, yes.

Of the games I've been to this year, it seems to me that the ball is hitting the rim a lot softer on Doke's FT's. That gave me some false hope for awhile. But, nothing has changed from a percentage standpoint. He a terrible FT shooter and we have to live with it.
3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

I certainly see Bill pulling out Doke, if OU tries any foul shenanigans like last year. Fool me once, fool me twice - don't see that happening. We have plenty of bodies and good FT shooters available.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:14 am At this point, yes.

Of the games I've been to this year, it seems to me that the ball is hitting the rim a lot softer on Doke's FT's. That gave me some false hope for awhile. But, nothing has changed from a percentage standpoint. He a terrible FT shooter and we have to live with it.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

I seem to remember that as a game ending strategy. Wouldn’t they risk getting guys in foul trouble if they start that too early?
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Gotta be in bonus, so naturally it's hard to do too early. More likely is that you could try to foul him every time he's shooting, but he'll still dunk on your face a decent % of the time and then it's REALLY not worth it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kruger is a bitch but Doks shooting worse than he did last year.
I thought by now he’d improve a bit because he’s still a raw(ish) player. If you’re shooting 40 percent and the opposing coach goes bush league, you gotta pull him.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

It really isn't bush league. You attack a team's weakness. Dok's free throws ability, or lack of, is a weakness. If opposing coaches don't all do it, shame on them.

Self will need to adjust or Dok will need to get better fast. Self will need to adjust.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We had this argument last year on dotnet.
To me, if you pull that move with 5 minutes left it's saying 'I don't trust that my team can beat you'.
It's like waving your hands over the beer pong cups when there's 3 cups left.

It's not against the rules, and I get why you're doing it because maybe it'll help, but it's still bush league.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It's pussy.

It's like taking a charge after a guy has thrown a pass, announcers will say it's a smart play, but anyone with a hair on his ass knows it's a pussy thing to do.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:33 am It really isn't bush league. You attack a team's weakness. Dok's free throws ability, or lack of, is a weakness. If opposing coaches don't all do it, shame on them.
Yep. You attack the other teams weakness. This is just like throwing at the worst CB of an opposing football team.