Marcus Garrett vs Texas

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Marcus Garrett vs Texas

Post by PhDhawk »

Garrett's 20 points last night were almost double his season high of 11, he'd only scored in double digits twice this year.

He was 8 of 11 shooting. 8 FGs is double his previous single game high for the year.

He made 3 of 4 threes, he'd only hit 4 prior in the entire season. His 3pt% increased from 18% to 27% in a single game.

I've been as critical as anyone of his offensive game, but man he was good last night. The only thing he did poorly was shoot FTs, which he's actually improved on a lot this year.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Marcus Garrett vs Texas

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

When UT went on their run around 4:00 mark, I said to myself: "we need to get Garrett back in there." That was a first.

I hope those shots falling gave him confidence. He still, obviously, needs to think drive before shooting, but if he gives us even a third of what he gave us last night on offense, he is a must play player in these small lineups.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Hats off to him. He's taken heat offensively, and rightfully so, but he's an easy kid to root for and I'm glad he saw some shots go in.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I am, I said.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's been mentioned a couple times - he HAS to take the first good look he gets from three. On the 1/3 chance it goes in, everything opens up (and he gains confidence).

Also - it's crazy to me that we haven't fixed his shot in 18 months on campus. I don't care (right this second) about how slow the release is, that can come later. Why in the world is it still so flat?

Shit, I remember this article from over ten years ago. Surely we still have this machine (or, I'd hope, something much better):

https://www.noahbasketball.com/noah-new ... sing-grade
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:12 amAlso - it's crazy to me that we haven't fixed his shot in 18 months on campus. I don't care (right this second) about how slow the release is, that can come later. Why in the world is it still so flat?

Shit, I remember this article from over ten years ago. Surely we still have this machine (or, I'd hope, something much better):

https://www.noahbasketball.com/noah-new ... sing-grade
Lost cause.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I admit, I yelled NO at each jump shot Garrett took.
He can drive it all day as far as I care.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wish all our guards would embrace “drive first” as a mantra. Good things happen.

Sure, if you’re open, then let that jumper fly. But the guys really shouldn’t default to chucking Js, especially when guarded or out of rhythm.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:01 pm I wish all our guards would embrace “drive first” as a mantra. Good things happen.

Sure, if you’re open, then let that jumper fly. But the guys really shouldn’t default to chucking Js, especially when guarded or out of rhythm.
Dotson seems to do this. I really wish Grimes would embrace it. Hopefully Agbaji does. Vick should only shoot ill-advised heavily contested step back threes, I think he shoots 83% on those.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:03 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:01 pm I wish all our guards would embrace “drive first” as a mantra. Good things happen.

Dotson seems to do this. I really wish Grimes would embrace it. Hopefully Agbaji does. Vick should only shoot ill-advised heavily contested step back threes, I think he shoots 83% on those.
Grimes would get a lot of shots blocked, like Freshman and Sophomore Frank Mason. The hope is that he would eventually develop that part of his game to avoid those blocks, like Senior Mason.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 75

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Grimes would get a lot of shots blocked, like Freshman and Sophomore Frank Mason. The hope is that he would eventually develop that part of his game to avoid those blocks, like Senior Mason.
Agreed. It seems most young guys just want a straight line drive layup/dunk, and that creates a lot of charges/turnovers/wild shots. I think it's partly because less seasoned players only have 1 speed.

Frank added a floater over the years and would attack by changing paces frequently.

Different style, but it's what Harden does a lot. He doesn't move fast for very long, but when he decides to go he can blow by most defenders because he's quick and changes pace a ton....I remember sitting with my dad on Christmas and we kept being amazed at how he'd go right past his guy when most of the time he didn't look very fast. He's deceptive......I think Dotson already does some good change of pace stuff, but as he gets even more experienced he's going to be really good at this level at getting to the rim and finishing or drawing fouls.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Freshman are so used to being the best on the court hy a mile that they have never needed anything other than a straight line, one shake, speed burst drive to dominate.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:01 pm Sure, if you’re open, then let that jumper fly.
But isn’t there a reason why he would be open? So, if you find yourself consistently open then no, you shouldn’t let that jumper fly :)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:41 pm
Agreed. It seems most young guys just want a straight line drive layup/dunk, and that creates a lot of charges/turnovers/wild shots. I think it's partly because less seasoned players only have 1 speed.

Frank added a floater over the years and would attack by changing paces frequently.

Different style, but it's what Harden does a lot. He doesn't move fast for very long, but when he decides to go he can blow by most defenders because he's quick and changes pace a ton....I remember sitting with my dad on Christmas and we kept being amazed at how he'd go right past his guy when most of the time he didn't look very fast. He's deceptive......I think Dotson already does some good change of pace stuff, but as he gets even more experienced he's going to be really good at this level at getting to the rim and finishing or drawing fouls.
Your dad's a baller, huh?
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:24 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Your dad's a baller, huh?
https://youtu.be/ryDOy3AosBw
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If I were an opposing defense I'm doing everything to keep Dotson and Garrett out of the lane and force Vick to do anything but shoot. No other guard really needs any special assignment.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Grimes made a lot of quick lines for the basket last night. Quick first move and past his defender. It’s first sight of the help defense that he gets detoured from. A jump and pass, or a stop and retreat. He needs to take that show to the free throw.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 75

Soklous wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:35 pm Grimes made a lot of quick lines for the basket last night. Quick first move and past his defender. It’s first sight of the help defense that he gets detoured from. A jump and pass, or a stop and retreat. He needs to take that show to the free throw.
He's got a nice handle. Not as raw as some of the McDs AAs we've had. He's pretty skilled. Nice looking shot. They're just not falling. You can see he's been a little more aggressive as the season has gone on. Hopefully it'll also result in more trips to the line.

There's something to be said about the pressure the higher ranked guys experience. They know that a big year equals big dollars. That's got to be a different feeling because they know it's suppsoed to be their last stop before the NBA. And many of them want it to be a 1 year stop.