"Get away" trips.

Coffee talk.
defixione
Contributor

"Get away" trips.

Post by defixione »

Six months ago the family planned a trip to Milwaukee to see an Aussie psych/rock band and visit friends. My son goes back to KCAI on Monday, so, perfect timing.

So . . .

Our nonstop flight leaves for Milwaukee at 7:25 a.m., boarding starts at 6:45. Up at 3:30 this morning. Leave at 4:40 for KCI and arrive at economy parking at 5:45. Lock the car and head to kiosk for the blue bus to take us to the terminal. My son says he can't find his wallet, must have forgotten it--we all know he needs this to board the plane--and proceeds to launch a major "I'm the worst person in the world" meltdown. We turn the car and our luggage upside down looking for his wallet, get back into the car and head back to Lawrence while my wife calls Southwest to see what other flights are available: A 9:55 a.m. via Dallas . . . The flight is now six hours. Whew, we think, and head back to KCI. Walk into terminal 20 minutes after our first flight had left. Talk to the ticket agent about the 9:55 flight and she says it's been delayed and we wouldn't be able to catch the connecting flight to Milwaukee. However, she says, I can book you on a 2:30 flight to DC, with a 2 1/2 hour layover, then depart DC and arrive at MKE at 8:30. We'll take it.

Jeezus.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: "Get away" trips.

Post by jfish26 »

Hope the kid's wallet can support a lot of $11 beers.
noosh

Post by noosh »

You shouldve given it a shot at gate. I am on 4-6 flights per week for work and on more than one occasion have not had ID. I've been able to get through every time.

TSA may ask you to fill out a form and go through additional security screening, but it's FAKE NEWS that you can't get through security without your ID.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

you almost could’ve driven, defixione

woulda been cheaper
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

noosh is right. You can make it on to the plane without an ID.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Good to know
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Dammit, I'll bear that in mind the next time this could/may happen.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Next time you hand him the keys to the car and say, "see you in Milwaukee when you get there" and board the plane.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^

or just drive the whole fam up there anyway.

if you left Lawrence at 4:40 you coulda been to Milwaukee in time for lunch. Then you also don't have to rent a car once you're there, don't have to pay for parking at the airport, can stop and get a quarter pounder without cheese as you please, and actually enjoy the countryside as it passes by instead of just hurling over it in a big metal bird.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Hurling over it, not fun.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

not sure about the second half of that drive, but there’s not much interesting to see on the first half or so, imo

i mean, it’s not western kansas bad, but it’s pretty monotonous
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Hitting Keystone, CO Labor Day weekend for Oktoberfest. Three days of hiking, beer drinking, whitewater rafting, etc... gonna be a fun little "Get Away" trip.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I was just looking at the website for the New York State Fair. I’ve never been there. Amtrak makes a stop right at the fair gate.
I Loved going to Hutch as a kid (4-Her).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Going to Nashville for Chiefs in November.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Hosting some my best friends, and a few from KU in Palm Springs for my birthday.

Joshua Tree...buttons...Anza Boggego...UTVs.

Epic
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Four days in Rangeley in a month.
A week in Turks and Caicos in January.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Cool! A thread that started out with defix throwing his kid under the bus for being an idiot - and then expressing/explaining the repercussions - has now turned in to a humble brag contest.
At the moment - PDub is winning.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Paul1 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:49 am Cool! A thread that started out with defix throwing his kid under the bus for being an idiot - and then expressing/explaining the repercussions - has now turned in to a humble brag contest.
At the moment - PDub is winning.
You would feel better after a week in the desert.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 pm Going to Nashville for Chiefs in November.
Went to Nashville a few months ago for business. First time there in 2-3 years.

Can't believe how awful Broadway has become. It used to be cool, laid-back, honky-tonk-ish and a bit dangerous. Tootsies, Robert's, Earnest Tubb Record Store, boot stores. It was more like Bourbon Street last time I was there. Tons of bachelorette parties, wall-to-wall people, scooters zipping along the sidewalks. The place even has a fucking Kid Rock bar - on Broad?!!?

Great people in Nashville and excellent food. But the tourist shit in this legendary district was fucking awful.