Indiana State Notes/Game Thread

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Indiana State Notes/Game Thread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

4 days away, ladies and gentlemen!

Indiana State is ranked 16th in preseason FCS poll. For comparison Nicholls is 12th, another former opponent SEMO is 17th.

They just did not turn the ball over last year. 6 TOs in their games. Will likely come back to mean this year because that's insanely low. Point is that they don't beat themselves.

QB is really good at protecting the ball. 3 INTs thrown last year. Is somewhat mobile as he rushed for almost 200 yards in a game last year. Started career as backup at Iowa before transferring.

OL is experienced. They have 5 fifth-year guys up front. 4 of them were starters last year. Avg weight is 330 lbs.

Their defense will give up yards. Especially against the run. Gave up almost 200 yards per game last year. They don't get many turnovers on that side of the ball, they seem to be conservative. Somewhat young on that side. Some seniors and juniors, but a lot of sophomores and freshmen too.

Their QB, Boyle, was interview this week and he said this about the Kansas game "We're going to hit them in the mouth and see how they react."

Game weather. High of 78. 60% chance of thunderstorms, mostly before 1pm. Game will likely be delayed. Still a chance of rain in the afternoon, but should be able to play as long as lightning stays away.

Rain will favor Jayhawks as they have the rushing attack and the bodies up front.

KU an 85% chance to win according to ESPN's Football Power Index. This game is still not posted on a lot of sites for the line, but KU still about a 5 point favorite or so according to those that have a line posted.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Indiana State Notes/Game Thread

Post by Sparko »

I would run a wide receiver sweep to Horne on the first play of the game. 4.2 speed. "Hit them in the mouth" a good thing for the locker room this week.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Because Indiana State is not good against the run and weather might play a factor I expect Les may run out with formations on Saturday this fan base is not use to seeing. Think 21, 22, etc run based heavy type position grouping.
Don't try to 'out fox' them. Line up your 11 against their 11 and see who is more physical at the point of attack.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah. There's going to be a lot of Herbert and Dom Williams this week. FB will play a lot too.

It's not going to be pretty because of the weather and no Pooka, but I think that's how Les will want it for debut. Smashmouth type of football with physical play on both sides of the ball.

The following weekend will be the weekend for the offense to open it up with weather predicted to be in the 70s with plenty of sun and the game at 6pm when all the players are going to be juiced and the crowd will be probably packed.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Please let us be up by halftime.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I will say this. I feel a hell of a lot more confident in Miles than I have in ANY HC that KU has had in the last 10 years.

Gill, Weis and Beaty couldn't hold a cup of water compared to Miles as a coach. Gill was better at low FBS high FCS programs, Weis rode the coattails of Belichick to a jobs at Notre Dame, Chiefs, Florida and Kansas. Beaty should be no higher than a Low level FBS OC or a High FBS position coach.

Miles is going to have his team prepared no matter the opponent, the talent is there (Even though they lost almost everyone on front 7 of defense) and the coaching is ahead of what Kansas fans have had in 10 years.

That being said, I imagine that it might be a close game in first half due to first game jitters, suspension of an All-Conference talent and a new scheme on defense.

But I think KU pulls away and wins by 14 or so points after a halftime lead of maybe 3 or so.

chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:46 am Because Indiana State is not good against the run and weather might play a factor I expect Les may run out with formations on Saturday this fan base is not use to seeing. Think 21, 22, etc run based heavy type position grouping.
Don't try to 'out fox' them. Line up your 11 against their 11 and see who is more physical at the point of attack.
If I don't see "65 Toss Power Trap" at least once, I'm turning in my season tickets!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

chiknbut wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:42 pm
holidaysmore wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:46 am Because Indiana State is not good against the run and weather might play a factor I expect Les may run out with formations on Saturday this fan base is not use to seeing. Think 21, 22, etc run based heavy type position grouping.
If I don't see "65 Toss Power Trap" at least once, I'm turning in my season tickets!
Matriculate.
Defense. Rebounds.
colbond

Post by colbond »

First game of the Les Miles era. Looking forward to seeing some real football today.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

This is one of the reasons I got SlingTV was to catch games like this. My search has turned up Kansas Wesleyan vs. someone else. C'mon! It's got to be on line somewhere, right?
colbond

Post by colbond »

chiknbut wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:04 am This is one of the reasons I got SlingTV was to catch games like this. My search has turned up Kansas Wesleyan vs. someone else. C'mon! It's got to be on line somewhere, right?
Reddit's really slow this morning, but this thread had 4-5 links last time I saw. Use an ad blocker.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFBStreams/com ... 200_pm_et/
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Reddit? So this will give me a chance to discuss Qanon with Lobster at the same time?

Might. Take. A. Pass.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Thank your sir!
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Not a bad first drive.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Whoa. I'm in. Thanks! Just in time to see a missed fieldgoal.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Mike Lee. Damn.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Defense with the defense.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Woohoo!!! Verdi requiem from the band did the trick.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Pick Six! Sweet. Great way to start the season.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Our #1 Corner wears a grill during the game. Tough.