2020-21 Jayhawks

Kansas Basketball.
PortlandHawk

2020-21 Jayhawks

Post by PortlandHawk »

I’m bored at work and there is been a lull in KU related content out there, so let’s talk about our team for next year- lineups, potential redshirts, transfers, style of play.

Leaving: Dot, Dok, Moss

We likely will have:
Guards-
1. Marcus Garrett
2. Christian Braun
3. Ochai Agbaji
4. Tristian Enaruna
5. Jalen Wilson
6. Tyon Grant-Foster
7. Dajuan Harris
8. Bryce Thompson
9. Latrell Jossell

Bigs-
10. Mitch Lightfoot
11. David McCormack
12. Gethro Muscadin
13. Silvio De Sousa

Looking at our team we are guard heavy which points to a more 4-out style of play. I also see a lot of tall guards, but at the same time how are we gonna get them all minutes? Wilson, Enaruna, Grant-Foster, Braun, and Agbaji are all pretty tall or play as big guards.

Who transfers or redshirts? Who goes pro? Etc.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 2020-21 Jayhawks

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We're absolutely loaded. Like preseason #1 loaded. The biggest question has nothing to do with the roster.

I've posted about this before, but the transfer candidate would seem to be Silvio and I really would not be shocked if Jossell does not come.

We are recruiting another guard for Jossell's hypothetical spot and Bill has said he is done with the 2-big offense in this program unless Marcus Morris or Darrell Arthur come.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Self won't go more than 8 deep in the thick of things. I think it's fairly obvious that the lineup will be...

PG: Garrett
SG: Thompson
SF: Braun
PF/G: Ochai
C: McCormack

Lighfoot, Enaruna and Wilson as the bench guys. Silvio as an emergency big again. Grant-Foster might play a bit here.

Muscadin, Grant-Foster and Harris will be projects who will redshirt/be deep backups.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:44 pmGrant-Foster and Harris will be projects who will redshirt/be deep backups.
Wha?

Grant-Foster could very well start.

Harris will backup Garrett and has no RS left.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:42 pm We're absolutely loaded. Like preseason #1 loaded. The biggest question has nothing to do with the roster.

I've posted about this before, but the transfer candidate would seem to be Silvio and I really would not be shocked if Jossell does not come.

We are recruiting another guard for Jossell's hypothetical spot and Bill has said he is done with the 2-big offense in this program unless Marcus Morris or Darrell Arthur come.
Sweet double negative.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Silvio looked elsewhere. He may feel like he owes KU to stay here, but he should go look around. He's not going to play over Mitch or Dave.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

I imagine we start Marcus, Thompson, Ochai, and Braun/Grant-Foster with Enaruna, Wilson, and Harris backing them up.

I see Jossell pulling a McBride... or being forced to do a McBride.

I want Silvio to stay but I could see him Grad Transferring. A depth chart of Dave, Silvio and Mitch is pretty good and helps us match up defensively.

I feel like one of the guards is gonna transfer though I don’t know who.

Muscadin, Harris, and maybe Enaruna are more projects than the others in my eyes.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:46 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:44 pmGrant-Foster and Harris will be projects who will redshirt/be deep backups.
Wha?

FWIW... Self has “claimed” that Grant Foster would be the best player on this years team if here this season. On more than one occasion.
I am, I said.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PortlandHawk wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:59 pm Muscadin, Harris, and maybe Enaruna are more projects than the others in my eyes.
Was with you until Enaruna being a project. He was a project this year. Next year he will be expected to contribute. And he's pretty damn good. Lanky, athletic and can shoot fairly well. Just fell behind Braun in depth chart because Braun is just really good for a freshman.

Enaruna will be the 6th man next year.

PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

Soklous wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:02 pm
Wha?

FWIW... Self has “claimed” that Grant Foster would be the best player on this years team if here this season. On more than one occasion.
I thought he said he would start, not that he’d be the best player... happy to be wrong though.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:46 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:42 pm We're absolutely loaded. Like preseason #1 loaded. The biggest question has nothing to do with the roster.

Sweet double negative.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Silvio looked elsewhere. He may feel like he owes KU to stay here, but he should go look around. He's not going to play over Mitch or Dave.
you mean like, except for that time he did play over Mitch, and as a half semester freshman at that?

Silvio’s recruitment and entire career was pushed ahead by a semester precisely so he could play over Mitch.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Wha?

Just a bucket-getter, which is what this team needs. Going to be hard to keep him off the floor. Good program and coach at the JuCo level. But, Braun is also really good and gives the team a lot of composure and toughness.

Newton can go see him in Hutch next week.
Last edited by CrimsonNBlue on Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:06 pm
PortlandHawk wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:59 pm Muscadin, Harris, and maybe Enaruna are more projects than the others in my eyes.
Was with you until Enaruna being a project. He was a project this year. Next year he will be expected to contribute. And he's pretty damn good. Lanky, athletic and can shoot fairly well. Just fell behind Braun in depth chart because Braun is just really good for a freshman.

Enaruna will be the 6th man next year.
Yeah, I tried to qualify it. He just seems to have so much potential and hasn’t had much of a chance to show it. I want him to be amazing next year and he can, but I want to me cautiously optimistic.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I thought Enaruna would struggle as a frosh, improve as a soph, and be all league his junior year.

He certainly hasn't shown that he's ahead of that curve, so I think rotation minutes next season is a realistic expectation.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's better better than I thought - he should get more minutes next year than this for sure.
The question is Jalen Wilson in this - thought of as our best recruit this season but then lost the year.
Is he better than both Braun and Enaruna? Would be a nice problem to have.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Thought all along Braun would be most ready to play. Wilson losing the year puts him even further behind and not being able to shoot hurts him in Bill's new offense. But Enaruna is just so raw.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:18 pm He's better better than I thought - he should get more minutes next year than this for sure.
The question is Jalen Wilson in this - thought of as our best recruit this season but then lost the year.
Is he better than both Braun and Enaruna? Would be a nice problem to have.
From my perspective he isn’t better in any category other than maybe being more polished. I don’t think we know enough to definitively say one way or another.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:20 pm Thought all along Braun would be most ready to play. Wilson losing the year puts him even further behind and not being able to shoot hurts him in Bill's new offense. But Enaruna is just so raw.
I thought shooting was one of Wilson’s strengths?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Wha?

Just a bucket-getter, which is what this team needs. Going to be hard to keep him off the floor. Good program and coach at the JuCo level. But, Braun is also really good and gives the team a lot of composure and toughness.

Newton can go see him in Hutch next week.
I guess I'm not that familiar with him. Misinformed take. But I am considering checking him out in Hutch. Did the same when Mario Little played in Hutch before he came to KU.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Shooting was one of Wilson's 'promoted' biggest strengths.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah, I think Wilson may be the best pure shooter on the team next year.

Might be a streaky shooter, but when he is on, he's on.