Car rentals

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Car rentals

Post by ousdahl »

I may be renting a car for a few days here soon.

Any tips or advice?

Isn’t that industry too even more of a mess than normal right now?
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Car rentals

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I have rented 100's of those damn things.

You'd really have to describe your particular need/use for one to give any good advice. Especially considering the supply nightmare right now.

Hertz and National let you skip the counter at airports, which is great, but might not apply to you.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I may be flying to Seattle then bouncing around the Olympic peninsula area for a few days in search of large sea-run fish and also vampires.

Hopefully don’t need 4wd or anything crazy. And might just wait and ride with friends, but that would limit my time out there and the opportunity to visit other friends.

Trying to decide if just renting a car, even if for part of the trip, would be worth it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cascadia will loan you his car.
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

Turo?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:20 pm I may be flying to Seattle then bouncing around the Olympic peninsula area for a few days in search of large sea-run fish and also vampires.

Hopefully don’t need 4wd or anything crazy. And might just wait and ride with friends, but that would limit my time out there and the opportunity to visit other friends.

Trying to decide if just renting a car, even if for part of the trip, would be worth it
You first need to figure out if you need it for the whole trip or just a day. If over half the trip, just rent a car from airport and realize that you are saving money on taxi/uber to/from airport which is always like 20-30 bucks per trip. If you only need the car for a day, or very few days of the trip, look into carshare like Turo, Zipcar, Lyft, etc. or find a neighborhood car rental branch as they are always cheaper than airports.

If you go with airport, look to see what is cheaper between Hertz and National. Then sign up for an account before booking and enter all information including DL number so you can use their skip-the-counter service. This could save you up to a couple of hours--don't be tempted by shitty car rental company you haven't heard of with low prices because you could wait in line for a long time and may not even get a car.

You might think that small cars are always the cheapest, but not true, sort by price. And, don't think you will definitely get the type of car that you book. Also, when you use skip the counter with Hertz or National, you actually get your choice of several cars. Hop in the car and go, you will settle the paperwork at the exit gate.

Pre-paying gas is a ripoff, but absolutely do not forget to gas up before returning to airport.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

digitalkookie wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:25 pmTuro?
I always use Turo
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:31 pm but absolutely do not forget to gas up before returning to airport.
sounds like you’re speaking from experience. i’m guessing you’re not a fan of $10/gal

Ousie, i’d rent a car if it were me. i hate being beholden to others when i’m visiting them, particularly if you think there’s even a chance that you’d have time and want to get out and do some exploring/fishing on your own
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

digitalkookie wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:25 pmTuro?
This
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:23 pm Cascadia will loan you his car.
If he were closer, I would
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

My only concern with Turo is getting in a wreck. I got rear-ended in a rental car, and while I know that Turo is insured-up and there's no risk from that standpoint, there's just zero emotions involved when it's a rental car company's car that gets fucked up.

Also haven't used Turo from an airport, so have no clue how convenient that would be.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Thanks for the insight you guys.

Indeed, I could make it happen just bumming rides and going a la carte on Ubers here and there.

But affording myself my own vehicle opens up a lot more opportunities to explore, and to visit friends I wouldn’t see otherwise.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m also not even 100 percent committed on leisure travel any time soon anyway, with the fungus and what have you.

But granted, other than the airports and planes it’s a pretty naturally socially distant trip.

Gonna be hiking up remote rivers in a rainforest. Not exactly going out bar hopping with yall.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

My worthless 2 cents. Whatever you rent, if you are staying in a hotel, you better check their parking fees before you go. I have paid over $80 a night (not even 24 hours) to park at an "average" hotel.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:20 pm I may be flying to Seattle then bouncing around the Olympic peninsula area for a few days in search of large sea-run fish and also vampires.

when? whole stretches of the peninsula are inaccessible right due to flooding and landslides.
Just Ledoux it
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

TDub wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:40 pm

when? whole stretches of the peninsula are inaccessible right due to flooding and landslides.
This^^^^^

Heavy rain, record high tides, lots of trees down and roads washed out around the Grays Harbor/Olympic Penn... get a AWD/4X with some ground clearance
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

My buddy and I hiked in the Ho rain forest and had it all to ourselves. Incredible. I hugged a bunch of trees. Do whatever it takes to get there.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:14 pm I have rented 100's of those damn things.

You'd really have to describe your particular need/use for one to give any good advice. Especially considering the supply nightmare right now.

Hertz and National let you skip the counter at airports, which is great, but might not apply to you.
Sometimes!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:04 pm

My buddy and I hiked in the Ho rain forest and had it all to ourselves. Incredible. I hugged a bunch of trees. Do whatever it takes to get there.
did ya find Mick Dodge?
Just Ledoux it