Roger White, mystery former KU BB player???

Kansas Basketball.
3rdGenJayhawk

Roger White, mystery former KU BB player???

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

So, I have a friend who has invited my over on Saturday night during the KU/UK bb game for a dinner party (with the game on in the background). I told her that I would rather not come to dinner as I like to watch the games, undistracted. She said too bad, as there is going to be a former KU basketball player at the party!! She said Roger White, and that he played like 50 years ago.

I went through every roster from 1950 - 1980 and I could find no player listed under that name. But, that was a lot of rosters, so maybe I missed something...

I may walk over to her house AFTER the game on Saturday, as I am definitely curious to see who this person might be. Because if he did play at KU 50 years ago, then he probably knew my dad (Jerry Bailey) who was the voice of the Jayhawks 1969 - 1974. Please note, that my friend is not really a sports person, she may even think he once played for KU, but in fact maybe he played for Kentucky or Kansas State??

I just thought I would post here to see if any of you knew of this player... TIA
PhDhawk

Re: Roger White, mystery former KU BB player???

Post by PhDhawk »

I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Is it possible he played JV? Did KU even have a JV team 50 years ago?

FWIW (which may be nothing) obviously Roger White isn't an unusual name but there is a Roger White who occasionally posts on the Kansas Men's Basketball Facebook "page".
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:17 pm Maybe Temple? He'd be like 90.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ite-1.html
That's the same website I used to look up all my rosters! I didn't think of just typing in the name Roger White. Not sure though as yes, seems like he is older than I was thinking...
3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:35 pm Is it possible he played JV? Did KU even have a JV team 50 years ago?

FWIW (which may be nothing) obviously Roger White isn't an unusual name but there is a Roger White who occasionally posts on the Kansas Men's Basketball Facebook "page".
I considered that also (played JV), but I can't find any reference to any JV rosters, let along one from the 60's or 70's. I don't use FB, so can't really look at that easily...
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

3rdGenJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:54 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:35 pm Is it possible he played JV? Did KU even have a JV team 50 years ago?

I considered that also (played JV), but I can't find any reference to any JV rosters, let along one from the 60's or 70's. I don't use FB, so can't really look at that easily...
There is no info about him in his "profile" other than he retired in 2012.
If you want me to reach out to him - I would be happy to do as such. Let me know.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:01 pm

If you want me to reach out to him - I would be happy to do as such. Let me know.
It's much appreciated but lets hold off on that for now. I'll probably just go over on Saturday after the game and the mystery will be solved! (Hopefully!)
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Seems fishy. If this guy is a former KU player, why is he accepting dinner invitations during a game of this magnitude? and if he does, are you sure that's the kind of former player you want to associate yourself with?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

3rdGenJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:04 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:01 pm

It's much appreciated but lets hold off on that for now. I'll probably just go over on Saturday after the game and the mystery will be solved! (Hopefully!)
Gotcha!
Might actually be more fun to NOT know about him - before you meet and learn about the mystery man.
3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:05 pm Seems fishy. If this guy is a former KU player, why is he accepting dinner invitations during a game of this magnitude? and if he does, are you sure that's the kind of former player you want to associate yourself with?
HaHa!! I know, right! LOL
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

She meant Roger Brown. He played right after JoJo White, so a passing knowledge probably conflated the names. He was a great player-big man. FWIW there isn't even a Roger White in the alumni roster.

Brown played pro ball too. I loved Jerry Bailey. Used to pace around my basement listening to his calls. Some really exciting games too.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:04 pm She meant Roger Brown. He played right after JoJo White, so a passing knowledge probably conflated the names. He was a great player-big man. FWIW there isn't even a Roger White in the alumni roster.

Brown played pro ball too. I loved Jerry Bailey. Used to pace around my basement listening to his calls. Some really exciting games too.
Best sparko post ever.
3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

Sparko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:04 pm She meant Roger Brown. He played right after JoJo White, so a passing knowledge probably conflated the names. He was a great player-big man. FWIW there isn't even a Roger White in the alumni roster.

I don't know, she wouldn't really have the knowledge of rosters so I'm assuming she has the name correct. My guess is she is mistaken that he was a player. Perhaps just an alum??? Also, it's just too strange to think that a former NBA player would be at this "dinner" at this particular friends home.
Sparko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:04 pm Brown played pro ball too. I loved Jerry Bailey. Used to pace around my basement listening to his calls. Some really exciting games too.
It's sweet of you to remember my dad!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I am old enough to remember the Rogers who played before Morningstar. Brown was 6--11 and would be a valuable piece today. His first name was Walter but I don't remember anyone ever calling him that on the radio or at AFH. "Goal by Roger Brown!" He is still living too.

My favorite Jerry Bailey call was when KU beat ISU on the road down by several points in the final seconds. Herkle Ivy period. His replacement was a disapointment to me-quicker than a hiccup-kind of corny stuff along with a pretty green Fred White.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

3rdGenJayhawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 am

I don't know, she wouldn't really have the knowledge of rosters so I'm assuming she has the name correct. My guess is she is mistaken that he was a player. Perhaps just an alum??? Also, it's just too strange to think that a former NBA player would be at this "dinner" at this particular friends home.
Sparko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:04 pm Brown played pro ball too. I loved Jerry Bailey. Used to pace around my basement listening to his calls. Some really exciting games too.
I just did a quick Google search on/of your dad. Seems he was a great and interesting man!
A couple of similarities between our fathers.....
Like your father, mine began his "career" in/on radio and both of our fathers were in advertising.
May they rest in peace!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

If memory serves, Brown was on several teams and was more of an ABA player. Not sure where he settled, but not exactly famous and often overlooked. He played with Robisch. Ted Owens often used two bigs like Rick Suttle and Danny Knight to play together. Hoping this helped.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I remember there being JV games in the early 80s and they would play prior to men’s games I recall seeing a few as late as 83 (but not later)
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

As a kid, we would watch the JV games coming early into the Phog. And it could be this dude was a JV, but I don't recall hearing the name. People, including myself, get names and references wrong all the time, which is why I thought Roger Brown immediately. Just not many Rogers outside of Pepper and Morningstar came to mind. Roger Brown graduated exactly 50-years ago, so I figured the friend had messed up the name. We'll see. Kind of an off-the-wall memory for me. Roger Brown was pretty smooth and I thought about adding him as an aside to the greatest 50.
3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:58 am
3rdGenJayhawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 am

I just did a quick Google search on/of your dad. Seems he was a great and interesting man!
A couple of similarities between our fathers.....
Like your father, mine began his "career" in/on radio and both of our fathers were in advertising.
May they rest in peace!
Thanks man, yes, my dad was not only interesting but quite the character! He defined who I am today (free spirited, open minded, love of the Jayhawks - obviously!!) in so many ways. So many fond memories we had together. Yes, may they both rest in peace!
3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

Mystery Solved! So at half time last night, I decided to walk over to my friends to meet the mystery KU basketball player. No it wasn't Roger Brown, or any former KU basketball player. Roger is an alum that graduated in 1968. Apparently his "newish" wife, thought he had played for KU (where he said that came from he has no idea - he said he couldn't play bb to save his life!); the wife is the one who told my friend that he was a former player. We all had a good laugh!

He was though VERY much up on KU's basketball history and was telling me oodles of KU basketball info/history - and I seemed to know just enough to keep our conversation going. So even though the game sucked, I ended up having a pretty fun evening watching the game with Roger and we will probably watch more together in the future as he lives just a few blocks from me. Thanks to all of you who provided insight into who this guy might have been. : )