Offseason thread

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Offseason thread

Post by ousdahl »

Well, isn’t much of small ball designed to get your one big easy looks?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:03 am Well, isn’t much of small ball designed to get your one big easy looks?
Who have we ever had that was better at converting easy looks than Azubuike?

Last season was not close to one of our better offensive teams and we had the league's leading scorer.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

As efficient as Dok was around the basket, ( teams had to game plan completely around him ), I think McCormack is more skilled. And because we don't have a speedster who scores 20 PPG, you could see some of those points trickling to our lone big who will play all the minutes he can handle. Add the fact he shoots above 80% from the line, I think he can best Dok's offensive output ( but definitely not defensive ).

I can see him pouring in points and don bigthings u digg.
He's gonna at least get 13 a game. I think he can get up to 16.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah. Dok did many of the things he did at an elite level.

But our offensive shortcomings last year had less to do with Dok and more to do with playing small ball with a bunch of non-shooters.

Our best 3 point shooter was Isaiah Moss at 34%. Our best 3 players in Dok, Devon, and Marcus all scored primarily within 3 feet of the rim.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I just wanted to jump in to note how fucking nice it is to talk hoops again.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^

And, from the end of the finals to the beginning of NCAA practice, this stands to be the shortest offseason thread ever.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:30 am Yeah. Dok did many of the things he did at an elite level.

But our offensive shortcomings last year had less to do with Dok and more to do with playing small ball with a bunch of non-shooters.

Our best 3 point shooter was Isaiah Moss at 34%. Our best 3 players in Dok, Devon, and Marcus all scored primarily within 3 feet of the rim.
So, what you are saying is that McCormack is a downgrade at the 5 and we need improved perimeter scoring this year. Agreed!

AKA, Och and Thompson are such obvious x-factors.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:36 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:30 am Yeah. Dok did many of the things he did at an elite level.

So, what you are saying is that McCormack is a downgrade at the 5 and we need improved perimeter scoring this year. Agreed!

AKA, Och and Thompson are such obvious x-factors.
And Wilson and Tyon and Enaruna.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, and Haunkey.

out of this current crop of dudes on the roster, hopefully at least one can emerge as an above average shooter...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I also wonder how much action our backup PGs might get, or whether we can expect Garrett on the ball for 39 minutes a night
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

we have back-up point guards?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think we know what we're going to get with Braun. And, his floor is still helpful (shooter, ball mover).

Thompson's floor of Grimes is not helpful.

Och's floor, as we've seen, is not helpful.

Wilson/TGF/Enaruna - hope we don't have to find out what their floors look like.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Self seemed higher on Jalen than any other recruit last year. We just never got to see much before the injury hit.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If he's ( Wilson ) better than Braun then we are in a very good place.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:14 pm Self seemed higher on Jalen than any other recruit last year. We just never got to see much before the injury hit.
Wilson was a late commit and like many late commits his demand made it seem like he was a prospect ranked about 20 spots higher.

IIRC, he was ranked in the 50's. Braun played better than that. I'd be happy if Wilson becomes a nice rotation player for this year.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:10 pm I also wonder how much action our backup PGs might get, or whether we can expect Garrett on the ball for 39 minutes a night
I wonder if Self will play Harris the 4-5 mpg that Garrett sits, or if Thompson or Braun will handle pg duties then. My guess is the latter.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:48 am Leading scorer needs to be Och or Garrett.

Late clock situations needs to also be Garrett or Och with TGF taking the role in circumstances.

All of this unless Thompson is a real deal OAD.

I’ll save everyone from the rest of the presser posts.

Late Night is online.

Tyon is on an uptick.

https://twitter.com/haroldrkuntz3/statu ... 84321?s=21
I am, I said.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Soklous wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:36 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:48 am Leading scorer needs to be Och or Garrett.

Late clock situations needs to also be Garrett or Och with TGF taking the role in circumstances.

All of this unless Thompson is a real deal OAD.

I’ll save everyone from the rest of the presser posts.

Late Night is online.

Tyon is on an uptick.

https://twitter.com/haroldrkuntz3/statu ... 84321?s=21
He's doomed.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soklous wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:36 pmTyon is on an uptick.
I miss your good ol' fashioned presser dumps.

We always do stuff like this, but Tyon looks like a baby Wiggins and his game reminds of a baby Wiggins.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:34 am I just wanted to jump in to note how fucking nice it is to talk hoops again.
THIS.