Schools

Ugh.
chiknbut

Re: Schools

Post by chiknbut »

My wife is a social worker with Chicago Public Schools. She just learned that she will receive the vaccine this afternoon and we're ecstatic. She has been working her ass off since last March working with kids at multiple schools via Zoom. As of last week she was told she needed to report on-site for work or possibly face disciplinary action, including dismissal. CPS has told everyone that schools are safe - air safety is being monitored, protocols are in place for contact tracing. But they aren't. How can they be? CPS, which is comprised of 640 schools and 355,000 students, doesn't have the money to properly implement these protocols. They don't have the money because their main source of income, fees, aren't being collected since schools have been closed.

CPS is lying. It's not safe. As a result, the Chicago Teacher's Union is taking a vote next week to possibly strike because of unsafe conditions.

My wife is at a school that's currently around 20 percent attendance. Her office is filthy. Most of the kids she is working with, many of whom have health issues, are still doing Zoom calls. People in the front office - who were given air purifying machines - are only wearing masks from time to time.

Its' a fucking shit show.

PS - I'm thankful that Mich comes on here from time to time to prove to us that he may be biggest idiot on this board. It's downright noble of him.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:44 am we’re at just over 12 million

fucking shameful
I just googled it. According to bloombeurg.com the UNITED STATES has vaccinated 17.2 million people as of 01-20-21. This is from bloomburg.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I am saying this in relation to schools (thread title) and the entirety of how the virus has affected this country......

The ways and manners in which we (The United States) have collectively dealt with (and not dealt with) the many facets of the circumstances related to the virus - is further proof to me that the "greatest country on Earth" - is far from it. Complete cluster fuck from the very top to the very bottom.
We live in a country that was being run by King Fucknut, with a bunch of fucknuts who had ZERO clue what they were doing, and then the fact that an extremely large percentage of the citizens of this country are complete fucknuts - meant we were doomed from the very beginning.
As chikn so eloquently put it (in regards to the CPS) and I completely agree, - "It's a fucking shit show".

I feel horrible for the teachers, students, and parents who just want to get kids back to school SAFELY and we are so damn divided how to do it and if we can do it.
Unfortunately I am confident we will NEVER have 75% of people in complete agreement on if and how it can be done the "right way". At least not in the near future.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:45 am

fucking shameful
I just googled it. According to bloombeurg.com the UNITED STATES has vaccinated 17.2 million people as of 01-20-21. This is from bloomburg.
ok?

i double checked, and my source was from 5 days ago...an unintentional mistake

still not 20 million, and still shameful

nice to see you actually posted something factual though...good job
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:45 am

fucking shameful
That's great! Or, that's terrible! You tell us.

Did you read the entire article or just get the number/s? Some fairly derogatory stuff that was said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covi ... tribution/
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I think it is fantastic. 17.2 million more people vaccinated than one month ago.

But I tend to look on the bright side of things. As opposed to the internet deviants and malcontents that only see the negative.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:00 am I think it is fantastic. 17.2 million more people vaccinated than one month ago.

But I tend to look on the bright side of things. As opposed to the internet deviants and malcontents that only see the negative.
The next four years will be your chance to prove that.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:00 am I think it is fantastic. 17.2 million more people vaccinated than one month ago.

Unless there are teachers involved.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:12 pm

not to mention the people he categorizes and deviants and malcontents.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

malcontents = those that expect more out of the “greatest country in Earth”
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

japhy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:00 amI have talked to professors in CO and CA and in the last few weeks, as well as a nephew who is currently at KU. They seem to feel that things are going better on the college level, probably because students and parents have an easier time opting out of education all together if they disagree with the policies. Over at Johnson County Community College things seem to be going well and they are also mostly remote.
My household instructs at KU. They haven't been in session for about two months.

We have hybrid this next Spring semester. Logistically, that means double the work--doing the same lecture both in person and having to record it.

A whole host of excellent, hard-working people trying to get through this for the same or less pay as usual.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:12 pm

Teaching is a much maligned profession. There are the ones you run into who are trying to relive their youth; but this time they will be the biggest strongest kid who knows everything. We all probably knew a Jr High School gym teacher who would participate in dodgeball so he could throw a ball at the smart kid who reminded him of his geek nemesis in high school. But there are a lot of them who sincerely want to educate the next generation and help them gain the skills needed to be successful in life. I still think those are the majority of the people going into the profession.

It is not for the financial rewards or the societal respect. It is in spite of the lack of respect and money. It would be one thing if all they had to do was educate; but they also end up counseling students and parents and being stuck between societal factions. I won't say it is a thankless job as my daughter get great satisfaction from it. When things click with a student she sees it all as worthwhile. But this is only her second year and her mentor from KU has already told her she needs to come back and get her MA and PHD at some point and move into the college education ranks. For now she enjoys interaction with younger students and seeing the light come on in their brains.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 89

both of my siblings are teachers, one elementary and one middle-school/high school

the one thing they’ve resoundingly said they’ve struggled the most with is just the sheer lack of direct interaction with their kids. and honestly, it seems that at least for some, the reverse is true. apparently, some of kids live in the same neighborhood as one of my brothers, and they’ve randomly been stopping by his place just to say hi

kinda touching, really

i’ll also add that the one thing i miss most about my former academic position at KU was interacting with the students
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:20 am I tend to dislike Van Jones more than I like him. But he said something this morning that resonated: we have to have a path back to the fold for people who have fallen into the anti-science, anti-fact, white supremacy trap(s). And, Jones said, it needs to be brightly lit.

That's what healing is, to me.

Healing is forgiving, not forgetting. And it involves the forgivers creating and brightly lighting the path, and the forgiven taking that brightly-lit path.
Well said.