This team...

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: This team...

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

7-7 in Q1 and Q2 games. 3-7 in Q1 and 4-0 against Q2. 1-0 against Q3. 4-0 against Q4.

All 7 losses are against teams in Q1. That's really crazy how loaded the schedule has been.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I really like Nate Oats and Bama is better than we are. But, if they are a one-seed in this tournament, I'm not counting the 2nd weekend out for our squad, provided we do what Self teams do and improve in February.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah I agree 100%
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:30 pm That said, I also think PGs are overrated in Self’s system. So many guys touch the ball in this offense. We lack a true playmaker in the backcourt like Dotson was.
Elite PGs are essential to Self's system. And most systems.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:53 pm Maybe think about bringing Dave off the bench? His starts are so often horrid.

He needs his pace, rhythm, and balance--once he gets those going, he's really good for us.
Its almost like a 6 or 7 seed has never made the final four. This is a weird year. Anything is possible. 0 wins or 6 wins. We get hot from outside at the right times and we could pull off some upsets.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Win our next 3, take 1 of 3 from Tech, Baylor or @ Texas, I think we're a 6.

You take 2 of those 3 and win 2 in the tourney ( if there is one ) - you're 20-9, with likely a top 5 SOS, and could go in as high as 4. As mentioned before though, you might rather be a 6 than a 4/5 depending on end goal.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:48 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:53 pm Maybe think about bringing Dave off the bench? His starts are so often horrid.

He needs his pace, rhythm, and balance--once he gets those going, he's really good for us.
Its almost like a 6 or 7 seed has never made the final four. This is a weird year. Anything is possible. 0 wins or 6 wins. We get hot from outside at the right times and we could pull off some upsets.
Absolutely.

I also have a 2019 vibe in that we could see the bracket and look at our second round matchup and just think: "yeah, we're fucked."
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Whoa.
That was fast.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

On another note i had my first good GTS guess against OSU. Dont expect a second good one until march
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Nah we should play dajuan harris more instead..........
Just Ledoux it
jhawk23

Post by jhawk23 »

Just a random thought...look back...Kansas has lost thus far to at the time, 2...Two unranked teams...those teams both have entered the rankings though OSU may very well (most likely) be short lived. Seems like everyone has it in the shorts for this team. I wasn't trying to "bitch" when starting this thread, only pointing out my viewpoint. Love the kids trying to do their best. But...seems like higher powers are punishing them for supposed to be elite when Duke, UNC and UK suck this weird year.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I still think this team could be a lot better than what they've shown. It's a weird year for many of the top programs.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:48 pm

Loyola was an 11-seed in 2018 and advanced to the FF.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sister Jean!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So for many, they'll write this off as a 'doesn't count' season, but even then, unless there's a miracle run in the NCAA tourney, is the year already a failure?

The question is now, with what we've seen from this roster, what would constitute a successful season for you?

Here's what I think we can expect:

11-7 B12.
1.5 wins in the B12 tourney.
1.5 wins in the NCAA tourney.

I'm guessing that's a failure for most.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

The expectations here are brutal and unfair, but you can always go play at Houston if you don't like them.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If this team earned a 5 and upset a 1 only to loose by 1 point in the E8 to a 2 seed, success or no success?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:49 am So for many, they'll write this off as a 'doesn't count' season, but even then, unless there's a miracle run in the NCAA tourney, is the year already a failure?

The question is now, with what we've seen from this roster, what would constitute a successful season for you?

Here's what I think we can expect:

11-7 B12.
1.5 wins in the B12 tourney.
1.5 wins in the NCAA tourney.

I'm guessing that's a failure for most.
I don't think the standard is different from any year where there's not some crippling injury: the season will be a failure if we don't make the Final Four.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Considering where we are right now, that’d be a good finish to the season.

Considering where we started, as preseason number 6, I suppose an elite 8 is par for that course, though a 5 seed would be Self’s worst KU tournament seed ever?