KU / UTEP Official Game Thread

Kansas Basketball.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: KU / UTEP Official Game Thread

Post by Sparko »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:58 am So right now, is this team better with Garrett off the ball?
Yes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Armstrong and Piper mentioned last night what we've all been saying on the boreds -- Garrett doesn't play point well.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Is it as simple as that tho?

I mean yeah he’s not BIFM or anything, but BIFM was surrounded by guys who consistently hit shots. That’ll make any point guard look better.

Is there any way to get a metric out of how many times Garrett’s supporting cast got an open look and bricked it?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i just think its not a natural position for him at this level (and above)

you can argue he played pg in high school, but college and pros are just different animals
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

He played PG, at least in the half court, a TON last year, even with Dotson in the game.

I can't for the life of me figure out why dribbling the ball the first 48 feet up the court changes things, but it seems to.

He is a good point forward and a mediocre point guard. It must be the mindset.

He can run the show from the top of the key, but not from an inbounds pass at the opposite baseline.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:25 pm Is it as simple as that tho?

I mean yeah he’s not BIFM or anything, but BIFM was surrounded by guys who consistently hit shots. That’ll make any point guard look better.

Is there any way to get a metric out of how many times Garrett’s supporting cast got an open look and bricked it?
BIFM create a ton of shots on his own at the end of the clock. He also pushed the ball on the break and hit a ton of 3s of his own
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, that’s more lead guard stuff than pure point stuff. Marcus isn’t the best at that either.

And yeah, we’ve resigned ourselves to almost an entire half court team. Not a lot of tempo. That’s a bummer, too, cuz we don’t really execute well in the half court either.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:35 pm He played PG, at least in the half court, a TON last year, even with Dotson in the game.

I can't for the life of me figure out why dribbling the ball the first 48 feet up the court changes things, but it seems to.

He is a good point forward and a mediocre point guard. It must be the mindset.

He can run the show from the top of the key, but not from an inbounds pass at the opposite baseline.
Agree on the assessment. He definitely played the majority of point last year...

But it was a slight majority, Dotson shared some of the responsibility. I think that sole responsibility might be the most likely cause.

I think Garrett is better off the ball the majority of the time, with Harris on the ball. But the team isn't necessarily better - it depends on the day Braun or Wilson is having (since presumably Harris is in for one of them).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Braun, Wilson and Ochai are all having a day, which hasn’t happened much, it’s game over for said opponent.

We have the players to go 16/24 from 3.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, didn’t Garrett average more assists than Dotson last year?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’ll get this working so you can save queries soon enough but yes:

https://www.kansascrimson.com/crimscore/
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:14 pm Yeah, didn’t Garrett average more assists than Dotson last year?
Garrett could throw lobs last year. I don't understand how he can't this year.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

Mjl wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:30 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:14 pm Yeah, didn’t Garrett average more assists than Dotson last year?
Dok
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

thekid6 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:32 pm
Dok
Having a beast who can catch almost anything and dominate inside is never appreciated until you see a Chenowith retreat off the block to avoid contact. Or Pellock kick the ball 65-feet.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

He led the big12.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Sparko wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:37 am
thekid6 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:32 pm

Dok
Having a beast who can catch almost anything and dominate inside is never appreciated until you see a Chenowith retreat off the block to avoid contact. Or Pellock kick the ball 65-feet.
But I was told for 3 years he's not that good cause all he does is dunk.

Now you're telling me that a guy who specializes in getting the exact shot every defense tries to prevent and makes it 80% of the time is an asset? Who knew.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dok was an elite dunker for sure.

But as far as lack of lobs this year, it seems like that prob more than anything is an execution issue?

we’ve never had the timing down for Dave (or Mitch?) to screen and roll to the hoop, or for Och to go back door?

But part of that might be our lack of a dynamic offense and general good spacing either way?

I dunno.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:24 am Dok was an elite dunker for sure.

But as far as lack of lobs this year, it seems like that prob more than anything is an execution issue?

we’ve never had the timing down for Dave (or Mitch?) to screen and roll to the hoop, or for Och to go back door?

But part of that might be our lack of a dynamic offense and general good spacing either way?

I dunno.
i I think it's probably 10% that and 90% Dok.

Agbaji should have thrown down more lobs than he has....maybe Enaruna ir TGF too even in limited minutes. Otherwise I think it's personnel. Dok was a footer with an 8 foot wingspan who could jump outta the gym. Timing and spacing were irrelevant.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Chicken and egg?

Yeah Dok was an elite dunker and so naturally gifted, but so much of our offense last year was designed specifically to create the timing and spacing to let Dok dunk.

Dave’s not as naturally gifted, obviously, but he’s just a different player with a different mindset either way.

Dok was better about the whole “score before you even get the ball” thing. Often, when he got the ball on the block, it was in position and rhythm, so that as soon as he got it he was making a strong move toward the hoop.

Dave tends more to get the ball on the block and square up and assess, rather than have his move already made. And more of his moves are away from the hoop rather than toward it.

He’s too thinky. Dude should be able to play bully ball at least a little better than he does, but seems caught up in his head.

He needs to train in that matrix Kung fu simulation with Morpheus when he’s like, “stop trying to hit me and hit me!”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Tangential, but do you guys ever wonder what would happen if you took the red pill and the blue pill at the same time?