Dedric

Kansas Basketball.
NDballer13

Re: Dedric

Post by NDballer13 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:24 am
Grimes has decent form on his release - I think he can knock down a higher percentage.
Just needs to slow it down. He took one in the 2nd half last night that is a perfect example. He caught the ball on the wing and not a single body was on that side of the floor. Instead of taking his time and getting in rhythm, he shot it like there was .3 seconds left in the game.

His form hits all the checkpoints wanted, it's just that when it's all put in motion at the same time it's so rushed. No excuse for 63% at the line though.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:49 am
Grimes has decent form on his release - I think he can knock down a higher percentage.
Just needs to slow it down. He took one in the 2nd half last night that is a perfect example. He caught the ball on the wing and not a single body was on that side of the floor. Instead of taking his time and getting in rhythm, he shot it like there was .3 seconds left in the game.

His form hits all the checkpoints wanted, it's just that when it's all put in motion at the same time it's so rushed. No excuse for 63% at the line though.
It's all upstairs:

1. He's still adjusting to college ball and decides to shoot way before he gets the ball. That leads to bad shots/decisions.

2. Right now, he wants so damn badly to play well.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:24 am Well one of the biggest keys to the season is getting Dedric and Dok to work together to convert high % shots.
'Bully ball' as Fran calls it is a good way to mitigate dry spells.

This.

We should actually be less vulnerable to dry spells and more consistent, since we should be getting more dunks and interior shots.

I also don't think there's anything 'ugly' about Lawson on the block or Dok getting a lob or Dotson on the break. Not seeing this team as ugly, personally.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:53 am
pdub wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:24 am Well one of the biggest keys to the season is getting Dedric and Dok to work together to convert high % shots.

This.

We should actually be less vulnerable to dry spells and more consistent, since we should be getting more dunks and interior shots.

I also don't think there's anything 'ugly' about Lawson on the block or Dok getting a lob or Dotson on the break. Not seeing this team as ugly, personally.
Theoretically, yes, but it won't happen until Dedric learns to get his from the high post and perimeter. And, we're also just less likely to go on those 8-0 spurts over a single minute that D'Tae or Frank could get us.

Ugly in that it's not a finesse game. Dedric is an old school clean up the trash baller. Villanova last year was a Victoria's Secret fashion show.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 am

This.

Theoretically, yes, but it won't happen until Dedric learns to get his from the high post and perimeter. And, we're also just less likely to go on those 8-0 spurts over a single minute that D'Tae or Frank could get us.

Ugly in that it's not a finesse game. Dedric is an old school clean up the trash baller. Villanova last year was a Victoria's Secret fashion show.
The only time I think basketball is ugly is when the ball doesn't move.

For sure, this team can't have the scoring explosion that teams that could get hot from 3. But, there's really no excuse for the fact that this team took 7 minutes to make a basket to start the second half. If anything, this team should be more immune to that than other teams.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:00 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 am

This.

The only time I think basketball is ugly is when the ball doesn't move.

For sure, this team can't have the scoring explosion that teams that could get hot from 3. But, there's really no excuse for the fact that this team took 7 minutes to make a basket to start the second half. If anything, this team should be more immune to that than other teams.
I agree. It should not take a set play or ATO and it feels like it does at times. But, the good thing is those set plays and ATO's should hit on like a 90% clip.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 am
NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:49 am

It's all upstairs:

1. He's still adjusting to college ball and decides to shoot way before he gets the ball. That leads to bad shots/decisions.

2. Right now, he wants so damn badly to play well.
I've agreed with #1 since the season starts. Times he'll pass up an open shot, then 3 possessions later take one heavily contested. It's like he makes up his mind 2-3 passes before the ball even gets to him.

I know it's mentioned every time it happens, but maybe this will finally be the time getting a couple easy ones will get him going. Couple layups on the break, a couple on cuts/post ups. He's definitely playing a lot better lately, still just struggling with the jumper.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think even more encouraging than seeing shots go down is that he's just playing harder, diving on the floor, getting baskets because he outran the defender, "bullying" fools in the post.

when you play hard, good things happen. When you play hard and you're talented, really good things happen.

Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

He's probably not going to become a great shooter overbight (or this season), we knew he wasn't a great shooter coming in, but he can impact the game without hitting 3s...and he has been. He's just got to stay aggressive within the offense. We're not going to run a ton of stuff for him with Dedric, Dok, and Vick (from the outside) all better options...but he and dotson both can score easy buckets by locking down on D getting steals, or getting long rebounds and getting out in transition. I don't think he's been as bad as the media has made it out to be, he is just not making shots. This isn't unusual with freshman. Keep playing hard and doing the little things and the offense will come. He's going to have 3 or 4 wide open 3s every game caused by defenses collapsing on Dok/Dedric, and he'll have to take them (unlike Garrett).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:34 amBut, it's a real issue, has been all season, and I think the media are going to pick up on it soon.
https://theathletic.com/747984/2019/01/ ... rontcourt/
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ading-pack

Dedric Lawson: Yes, Kansas will miss Udoka Azubuike, out for the season with a wrist injury. Yet with Lawson leading the team, the Jayhawks have lost just two games, both on the road (Iowa State, Arizona State).

He possesses one of the most impressive stat lines in the country: 19.2 PPG, 10.6 RPG, 1.1 BPG and 1.2 SPG. He's a matchup problem for any team in America. He's also the reason Kansas remains the favorite to win the Big 12 title and extend its streak.