Weather

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Weather

Post by pdub »

The cord doesn't get in the way when turning back around?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:21 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:20 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:17 am

Yep. Mine is electric (ergo, "thrower").
how’s the charge life? electric is what we were looking at, and most likely what we’ll go with if/when the time comes
It's corded. Not a huge annoyance if you already have to have a 100-foot heavy gauge extension cord in your garage for other things (like corded leaf blowers or pressure washers, as I do).
gotcha

i presume you’re happy with it?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:24 am The cord doesn't get in the way when turning back around?
TMI I guess, but almost always the wind when we have a snow storm is 90 degrees left-to-right across my driveway. So, I start at the far left and "throw" right, progressing left to right in vertical rows.

In other words, I'm never turning "against" the cord, as it were.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:37 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:21 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:20 am
how’s the charge life? electric is what we were looking at, and most likely what we’ll go with if/when the time comes
It's corded. Not a huge annoyance if you already have to have a 100-foot heavy gauge extension cord in your garage for other things (like corded leaf blowers or pressure washers, as I do).
gotcha

i presume you’re happy with it?
Yeah. I looked at cordless, too, but they're a bit underpowered and you really have to buy a second battery (not cheap) if you have a reasonably-sized amount of space to cover (takes me about a half hour to do my driveway, front walk and sidewalks), and that would be right on the border of what a single charge could do. Long recharge time, so you're out of commission for the day. And with electric, you're really better off doing it every time you get to about 4-6 inches, even if it means twice in a day.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I've thought about buying an electric snow blower/thrower, just haven't and it's another thing I have to find storage for. If it's a light, powdery snow, a lot of times I just use my gas or battery leaf blower.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

shindig wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:56 am I've thought about buying an electric snow blower/thrower, just haven't and it's another thing I have to find storage for. If it's a light, powdery snow, a lot of times I just use my gas or battery leaf blower.
We're going to have some problems when we start adding cars.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

We're up to 6" here in Larryville and it's not supposed to stop until late this afternoon.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Hard to get a good read on how much we've got. The wind is blowing it around so much.
shindig

Post by shindig »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:29 am Hard to get a good read on how much we've got. The wind is blowing it around so much.
I know, trying to get motivated to go out and start first shovel at it, but like you said, it's still blowing and coming down.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

shindig wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:51 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:29 am Hard to get a good read on how much we've got. The wind is blowing it around so much.
I know, trying to get motivated to go out and start first shovel at it, but like you said, it's still blowing and coming down.
My driveway appears to have a pretty even 5-6 inches, which would suggest starting now. But, the radar looks like there is material new snow for the next hour or two yet, so I'll probably wait.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Snow is done in south-central Kansas.

Probably about 6-7 inches. Right on projections. Will say that it is melting somewhat quickly. The warmer ground over the last week or so has really helped.

Should all be gone by noon tomorrow.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
shindig

Post by shindig »

I'm going to be sore tomorrow. Oh boy, that is a heavy, wet snow, probably 8 inches, but higher in certain areas like my garage, which faces North. Also did my elderly neighbors sidewalk and walkway, so I did my good deed for the day.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Still 60 F and rainin hard here. All day.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

shindig wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:16 pm I'm going to be sore tomorrow. Oh boy, that is a heavy, wet snow, probably 8 inches, but higher in certain areas like my garage, which faces North. Also did my elderly neighbors sidewalk and walkway, so I did my good deed for the day.
Yeah, that was some heavy snow, particularly where it had accumulated to well over a foot at the bottom of my driveway.
thebones

Post by thebones »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:00 pm
shindig wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:51 am
My driveway appears to have a pretty even 5-6 inches, which would suggest starting now. But, the radar looks like there is material new snow for the next hour or two yet, so I'll probably wait.
This afternoon on KMBZ Dana and Parks, Brian Busby was a guest. As they discussed various snow totals around the metro, Brian made an obvious enuendo when 8 inches was mentioned.

Hope no kids were listening.

"Mom, what did the weather man mean when he said 8 inches is his favorite?"
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Perfect weather for the day after a KU Championship!

Dense Fog Advisory from TUE 6:30 AM CDT until TUE 10:00 AM CDT

Action Recommended
Make preparations per the instructions
Issued By
Chicago - IL, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Calumet Harbor IL to Michigan City IN, and Wilmette Harbor to Calumet Harbor IL
Description
...DENSE FOG ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM CDT THIS MORNING...

WHAT...Dense fog will reduce visibility at or below 1 mile.

WHERE...Calumet Harbor IL to Michigan City IN, and Wilmette Harbor to Calumet Harbor IL.

WHEN...Until 10 AM CDT this morning.

IMPACTS...Low visibility will make navigation difficult.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If you must navigate, proceed with caution. Use proper fog signals. Make sure all running lights are on. Remember to use your radar and compass.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Tornado warnings to our South and West.

When the kids were little, we would call this a Katie Horner night.
Defense. Rebounds.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:58 pm Tornado warnings to our South and West.

When the kids were little, we would call this a Katie Horner night.

"Katie Horner night".

What does that mean?
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Katie Horner, aka Katastrophe Katie, would freak out for hours on stormy nights on channel 5 in KC.
There's gotta be some youtubes.
Defense. Rebounds.