$$$>Winning.............I guess.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
Deleted User 863

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TDub wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:16 pm Nijel Pack got $800k to transfer to Miami

yuck. This is silly
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ring-miami

Espn article doesn't mention it, and NIL can't technically be tied to committing to a school, so it may have come after his commitment...but here are the details from a different article:

"Pack, who can play either guard spot and is considered one of the best shooters in the country., has also agreed to a $400,000 per year, or $800,000 total, NIL deal with John Ruiz and LifeWallet for his potential two upcoming seasons at Miami.

A key for the team is getting Isaiah Wong back - he’s reportedly getting an NIL deal that could convince him to return instead of turn pro. Wong is a prolific scorer who averaged 15.3 points last season, second only to McGusty."

Pack also getting a car as part of NIL deal (not sure with LifeWallet or a different deal)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... allet/amp/

CBS article above.

Oscar Tshiebwe is getting 2Million in NIL for returning to UK.

"Even though NIL deals are still relatively new, they are already making an impact with roster movement and players decisions. Pack is just one example of college athletes being able to profit big from their talents. Kentucky star and National Player of the Year Oscar Tshiebwe decided to return next season -- uncommon for a reigning POTY -- and is expected to earn $2 million in NIL deals. "
Deleted User 863

thekid6 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:37 pm

yuck. This is silly
Miami is better than KState. So there's that. His other top choices were Purdue and Ohio State....can't blame him for choosing Miami imo. Better weather. Comparable coach who just made the elite 8. Larranaga is respected and runs an offense he will thrive in similar to how Charlie Moore did.

I wouldn't be surprised if at either Ohio State or Purdue his NIL opportunities would have been similar. At KState, not so much.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea, this is shitty.
When's the salary cap get integrated?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

yuck. This is silly
NIL dollars or not, Nijel Pack under the current situation, Miami is a big upgrade for him.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:57 am

yuck. This is silly
Miami is better than KState. So there's that. His other top choices were Purdue and Ohio State....can't blame him for choosing Miami imo. Better weather. Comparable coach who just made the elite 8. Larranaga is respected and runs an offense he will thrive in similar to how Charlie Moore did.

I wouldn't be surprised if at either Ohio State or Purdue his NIL opportunities would have been similar. At KState, not so much.
Larranaga also took a Big 12 transfer and turned him into a First Team All-ACC player in his final season.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I think Tshiebwe's deal is a disservice to him. He is ready to be an impact player in the NBA now. Maybe he just enjoys being a college student.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Jeez. Imagine all the dark money we never saw.
Deleted User 863

AlOerter wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:55 am I think Tshiebwe's deal is a disservice to him. He is ready to be an impact player in the NBA now.
No he's not (imo)

I don't think that he will ever be an "impact" player in the NBA. His ceiling feels like a role player to me.
Deleted User 863

Sparko wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:05 pm Jeez. Imagine all the dark money we never saw.
True.

After seeing what Pack is supposed to get, it makes me wonder how much Remy got to come to KU that we never heard about...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:06 pm
AlOerter wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:55 am I think Tshiebwe's deal is a disservice to him. He is ready to be an impact player in the NBA now.
No he's not (imo)

I don't think that he will ever be an "impact" player in the NBA. His ceiling feels like a role player to me.
Another semantics argument. I do think that Tshiebwe could be good enough to play NBA minutes tonight. But, his stock is going to be the same a year from now as today with the same role player ceiling. In the NIL world, why not come back and play a last season as preseason #1 or #2, avenge the first round loss, and have a chance to become the first back-to-back NPOY in like 30+ years?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:05 pm Jeez. Imagine all the dark money we never saw.
This is exactly it.

The NIL system makes college sports way better and less dirty from that standpoint.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:07 pm
True.

After seeing what Pack is supposed to get, it makes me wonder how much Remy got to come to KU that we never heard about...
Hopefully a lot more than driving a Camry for 9 months.

However much it was, the National Championship is worth more.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:11 pm
No he's not (imo)

Another semantics argument. I do think that Tshiebwe could be good enough to play NBA minutes tonight. But, his stock is going to be the same a year from now as today with the same role player ceiling. In the NIL world, why not come back and play a last season as preseason #1 or #2, avenge the first round loss, and have a chance to become the first back-to-back NPOY in like 30+ years?
If Dok isn't getting minutes regularly in the NBA on a relatively slower paced team, then I have no faith in Tshiebwe to play minutes on an NBA team.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:15 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:11 pm

No he's not (imo)

If Dok isn't getting minutes regularly in the NBA on a relatively slower paced team, then I have no faith in Tshiebwe to play minutes on an NBA team.
Tshiebwe is more Harrell or young Millsap than Udoka (moves a little better, better rebounder), but there is no doubt that he's not a first round pick.

Not really my point, though. Tshiebwe is coming back because of what college offers him and not to develop a jump shot.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

No he's not (imo)

I guess we have a different definition of "impact". The NBA is full of role players who make an impact on a team where they fit. Rodman was an impact player but he didn't exactly light it up on offense.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:12 pm
This is exactly it.

The NIL system makes college sports way better
Absolutely does not.
It makes it way worse.
If it was simply college students making money on their own, reaching out to businesses or getting paid for advertising on their social channels, ok, sure, but this is clearly we will pay you 800k if you play for Miami. If you dont, you do not get this deal.

2022 might be the time I remember last liking college ball. Helluva way to go out.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But that’s the thing!

This is clearly we will pay you 800k if you play for Miami, rather than fraudulently or otherwise under the table.

We good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

"400k to transfer here". Nijel pack is one of the first big signings in what the future will be known as a college basketball free agency signing period.

But this changing landscape shouldn't worry Kansas fans, KU is the big fish. Adidas already paid our recruits. now its legal for recruits to receive money. Its going to be easy for the Kansas type schools of the world really benefit from this transfer portal thing. because Kansas is the type of program the best of these transfers are hoping to end up at