Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:51 pm
twocoach wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:42 pm A back court of Harris and Hunter would have been brutal shooting threes but elite defenders. I think KU can do better than him from a fit perspective.
Tyrese Hunter 3pt % = 27.4
Dajuan Harris 3pt % = 38.2

Agree we didn't need Hunter. Not with Yes and Bobby with a year under their belt at KU already.
Harris' stats are bloated by the fact that the vast majority of his attempts are wide open, which should be hit at a significantly higher percentage than a typical college shooter. If he only shoots 38% when wide open then he isn't a good shooter at all.

So as it stands right now, KU has the following:
Yesefu
Cam Martin
Harris
McCullar
KJ Adams
Zach Clemence
Kyle Cuffe
Bobby Pettiford
Gradey Dick
Zuby Ejiofor
MJ Rice
Ernest Udeh

12 scholarship players with the possibility of Wilson returning to fill us at 13.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:26 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:51 pm
twocoach wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:42 pm A back court of Harris and Hunter would have been brutal shooting threes but elite defenders. I think KU can do better than him from a fit perspective.
Tyrese Hunter 3pt % = 27.4
Dajuan Harris 3pt % = 38.2

Agree we didn't need Hunter. Not with Yes and Bobby with a year under their belt at KU already.
Harris' stats are bloated by the fact that the vast majority of his attempts are wide open, which should be hit at a significantly higher percentage than a typical college shooter. If he only shoots 38% when wide open then he isn't a good shooter at all.

So as it stands right now, KU has the following:
Yesefu
Cam Martin
Harris
McCullar
KJ Adams
Zach Clemence
Kyle Cuffe
Bobby Pettiford
Gradey Dick
Zuby Ejiofor
MJ Rice
Ernest Udeh

12 scholarship players with the possibility of Wilson returning to fill us at 13.
Harris has played 2 full years of college basketball. His stats aren't bloated. He has a sample size of 70 games.

You don't have to take guarded/contested/forced 3s for your stats to be "valid". That's called good shot selection and that's a positive trait. He's a pass first PG.

Nobody is saying he's Steph Curry.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Well since we don't have to worry about a bad shooting back court of Harris and Hunter, there's nothing to worry about.

Should be interesting to hear what Wilson does in regards to staying in the draft or coming back. I just don't see him getting drafted but even that might not be enough to keep him from leaving. Who knows. I hope he comes back; he'd be on a mission to take that next step in his development.
Deleted User 863

I think Wilson should come back because I don't think he has a long term future in the NBA due to being an undersized (height and length wise) non athletic small ball 4.

That said, I don't think he will come back. He'll be 22 in November. I think even if he doesn't get drafted or get a spot on a team for a year or 2, he will be a fortune overseas (at worst). Unlike Ochai, the concerns about him will likely be the same a year from now. His stock is about as high as it has ever been. He's a national champ. Most of the guys he has been with are/will be gone. I fully respect whatever choice he makes.

And hell, if Georges Niang can make it in the NBA then Jalen can too. Doesn't mean he will, but he can.

I am ready for the KJ/Clemence front court era to begin.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I wouldn't say jalen Wilson is undersized. Hes a huge guard basically. 6'8 guy who can shoot drive and rebound. His offensive skills and versatility are absolutely what teams in the modern NBA want

What is gonna make a break Wilson's chances is can he guard at the next level and is a team gonna think he's quick enough to give him a chance
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:27 am I wouldn't say jalen Wilson is undersized. Hes a huge guard basically. 6'8 guy who can shoot drive and rebound. His offensive skills and versatility are absolutely what teams in the modern NBA want

What is gonna make a break Wilson's chances is can he guard at the next level and is a team gonna think he's quick enough to give him a chance
Wilson measured 6'6 without shoes and only has a 6'8 wingspan.

That's undersized by NBA standards imo.

How many dunks did he have at KU? Maybe 2 or 3? I honestly don't remember a single dunk, but I am sure I am forgetting a few.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.cjonline.com/story/sports/c ... 787377002/

Largest 25k.
Not a fan but at the moment, it's not Miami buymyrecruits bad.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Matt taits article in todays ljw says OA made $100,000.00 in nil at KANSAS.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:49 pm https://www.cjonline.com/story/sports/c ... 787377002/

Largest 25k.
Not a fan but at the moment, it's not Miami buymyrecruits bad.
Gotta feel like that number will increase substantially once Gradey and MJs deals get reported.
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:18 pm Matt taits article in todays ljw says OA made $100,000.00 in nil at KANSAS.
Here is the article

https://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/tale-t ... en-wilson/
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/tale-t ... en-wilson/

"Remember 6th Man Strategies, the third-party NIL company that signed on to represent all 18 Kansas basketball players when NIL opportunities first became legal on July 1, 2021? They’re still around, and they’re still in the business of raising money to distribute to KU players as part of the NIL process.

Let’s do that math here real quick. 6th Man Strategies’ stated goal at the time its announced partnership with Kansas basketball was to find 100 donors to pledge $1,000 per month for any given year. The 100 Club they called it. If they get there — and the last I heard they had signed up about 50 right away without much effort at all — that’s $1.2 million per year to divvy up among the KU roster.

Second, let’s assume that KU’s best player is deserving of 25% of that $1.2 million provided by The 100 Club. That alone is $300,000 for just one player."

Just not for me.
Thank God the Celtics are going to be good for the forseeable future.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2022/06/o ... rises.html

totally normal. Same opportunities as all the rest of the college students.
Just Ledoux it
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Do other university departments not hold banquets and parties asking donors for money? When did that stop?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

The pattern I see is that bad coaches are trying to pay to get good players.

The question is, can they somehow win with good players even though they’re bad coaches?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I hadn't seen this posted.
This is what those against NIL ( PhD and I come to mind ) were told would not happen.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/02/n ... recruiting

“In a matter of months, NIL shifted from a ‘Here’s what you can get’ to ‘Here’s what you will get,’” Lawrence says. “Five-stars are the new first-rounders. They’ve always been coveted that way. Now, they’re being compensated that way.”

“Quid pro quo, it’s really the only box you have to check in the NIL era,” says Drew Butler, a former NCAA and NFL punter who is vice president of Icon Source’s NIL collegiate division. “But you don’t see a lot of NIL activation to justify the dollar amounts being paid.”

To amass a top-flight signing class, “admission into the recruiting game” is roughly $5 million, says one source who consults with collectives. That’s enough to supply an entire football team with a $50,000 salary per player.

He believes the rates for college stars in the portal and elite high school recruits will only skyrocket.
“For really good players out of high school,” he says, “you’re talking $100,000 a year.”
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Over 2 years ago from pdub:

"The problem is that likely more often than not, these channels will just be ways to pay a college athlete to play basketball at the university rather than actually providing a service worth the value."
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s not new though

there’s a story in SI (i think) right now about Bacot being offered 6 figures from multiple universities while he was in HS

it’s gross, sure. but, to me it’s giving more student-athletes a piece of the pie (a good thing), rather than it being under the table and seemingly confined to top tier recruits
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:15 am The pattern I see is that bad coaches are trying to pay to get good players.

The question is, can they somehow win with good players even though they’re bad coaches?
Scott Drew has a national title.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"it’s not new though"

2 things:

1. It was against the rules. People still speed over the speed limit. The limits intention and punishments for breaking it serve as a deterrent. Blame the NCAA for ignoring/failing to figure out a solution to maintain these rules/amateurism.

What we have now is a speed suggestion at two or three times what it was before with a clause that allows breaking the limit as long as there's an emergency. So you just say there's an emergency when you're pulled over.

So now you have a speedway and people who are upset about it are told, "well, people were doing it before, also, this is how it's gonna be, so get over it".

2. From the article:
"The big change is the numbers are going up. Before [NIL], you knew it was bulls--- if a kid came to you and said he was getting more than $50,000 from another school. Now, numbers that used to be bulls--- aren’t bulls--- anymore. Everything now comes down to how willing are your boosters and how rich are your boosters. You’re pretty much f----- if you don’t have the booster bank.”
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:26 am I hadn't seen this posted.
This is what those against NIL ( PhD and I come to mind ) were told would not happen.
It is definitely different than I expected.

I figured $100k would be reasonable to expect since the shoe companies were already in that range for top players.

I didn't expect small local businesses to pay ridiculous amounts of money for commercials and things because I didn't think the value was really there for 99.5% of players. And so far that is holding true.

It's more of just rich alumni who own businesses paying ridiculous amounts for relatively no value returned by showing up to a few events or whatever.

And I didn't expect millions going to guys...but it's happening and will happen on a larger scale when the next super hyped Wiggins or Zion type comes thru now that the flood gates have been opened it.

And the shoe companies love the new set up because now they have rich alums doing some of the work for them so that the shoe companies can focus on the big fish.