F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: F the NCAA

Post by pdub »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:31 am I thouroughly enjoyed the 2021-22 men's basketball season. Start to finish. Hell, football was great. Even the CWS was exciting.

But, that's just me I guess.
It's possible this last season might be the last one I think fondly of.
Before 300k NIL contracts for everyone and 1 mill for the one and dones ( not pay for play I promise ) which led to college kids getting paid by universities to play sports which led to a power 64 league which led to salary caps.

Senior David McCormack, B12 Scholar Athlete of the Year, hits the game winner in the national title, on a squad with two local upperclassmen, one of whom rose to become a 1st team AA.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:39 am I kinda wonder if it's worth making some analogy about how the real drama is simply having to acknowledge just how that BBQ sausage has been made all along.
This argument that posters keep coming back to does not work for me.
I don't think it was nearly at the level it was now.

Ayton, a one and done NBA for sure who was picked 1st over all, got 100k, was at the end of this.
Tshiewbwe, who may not have been drafted until very late 2nd, just got 2 mill.

If that doesn't help explain why the "its ALWAYS BEEN HAPPENING" argument is useless to bring up when arguing with me, then I can't help you ( and I'll bookmark this post to refer to it in the future ).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, jeez, the reigning POY returned to college, what a shame.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

To be fair, Ayton may have very well got more than the 100k shoe company money. No way to know for sure.

The difference is, back then, it wasn't just against "the rules" to funnel money to players, depending on how that money flowed to them it may have also required breaking the law. That likely stopped some of it.

Now the main difference seems to be that boosters are willing to spend more than shoe companies now that it's all legal. The level to which some of these boosters are willing to go has been surprising to me.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"To be fair, Ayton may have very well got more than the 100k shoe company money. No way to know for sure."

To be fair, unicorns could exist.
No way to know for sure.
Deleted User 863

Ok
Deleted User 863

If someone wants to waste 2mil for a player like Tschiebwe then I say good for them. Both the money waster and the player. Worse things going on in the world of sports than that.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:22 am i remember when collegiate athletics used to be awesome.
Me too since it was just 2 months ago.

I don't care how a player gets on a roster. I just want the game to have good players and teams and for the games to be competitive and fun to watch. Better players are sticking around in college now and last season was one of the most competitive seasons ever. KU winning it all was icing on the cake.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:46 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:39 am I kinda wonder if it's worth making some analogy about how the real drama is simply having to acknowledge just how that BBQ sausage has been made all along.
This argument that posters keep coming back to does not work for me.
I don't think it was nearly at the level it was now.

Ayton, a one and done NBA for sure who was picked 1st over all, got 100k, was at the end of this.
Tshiewbwe, who may not have been drafted until very late 2nd, just got 2 mill.

If that doesn't help explain why the "its ALWAYS BEEN HAPPENING" argument is useless to bring up when arguing with me, then I can't help you ( and I'll bookmark this post to refer to it in the future ).
And Al Horford will make more money in salary next season than Larry Bird did in his entire 13 year career.

I do not care about the financial status of any college player. I never have and I never will. If the result of NIL is that more and better players are likely to go to and stick around in college hoops then it has been a positive addition to the sport and it seems to be doing that so far.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And that's fine - keep watching.

I'm just laying out my thoughts before what will likely be a Chiefs heavy posting season for me.
i.e. don't expect a GTS or your favorite Crimscore updates.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Would you be willing to cover the KU intramural leagues? That seems to be more up your alley of college kids playing just because they love the game and nothing else. Or would the outrage that a good majority of those kids make money from sources outside the intramural league be too much to handle?
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:26 am And that's fine - keep watching.

I'm just laying out my thoughts before what will likely be a Chiefs heavy posting season for me.
Totally fair stance to take.

Honest question: why do Chiefs players being paid not bother you, but Kansas basketball players does?

I still think Mahomes loves the Chiefs.

Och got paid last year, he still seems to love KU just as much as anyone who came here for free.

I don't think the money eliminates the love.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I mean, I know it's tongue and cheek, but I feel like I may stay in this community for a while, so I might get more into the high school sports? Will that work for you?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:37 am
pdub wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:26 am And that's fine - keep watching.

Totally fair stance to take.

Honest question: why do Chiefs players being paid not bother you, but Kansas basketball players does?

I still think Mahomes loves the Chiefs.

Och got paid last year, he still seems to love KU just as much as anyone who came here for free.

I don't think the money eliminates the love.
Because college sports was unique.
And now it is not.
I'm from Lawrence. Went to KU. My rents heavily involved with KU. KUBB is a big deal.

Call me naive, but I actually think players came to Kansas largely for reasons other than money.
I don't think that will be the case anymore.

And the NBA is, in the end, a better product on the court ( the fans, tradition, history etc, I don't think your typical NBA fan gives a shit about that - a lot of KU fans do - I think some of that slowly goes away with contracts and B12 being broken up and salary caps etc ), so I already have a favorite team in a league full of professionals.

And I do think the money spoils the love.
Doesn't eliminate it.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:38 am I mean, I know it's tongue and cheek, but I feel like I may stay in this community for a while, so I might get more into the high school sports? Will that work for you?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4387&p=279542#p279542
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hell yes.
And Tyshawn too.

I meant up here but I do follow Free State a bit in the news.
When I lived in Lawrence, i'd watch them a lot.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, you’re naive.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the important question is: who gets willed the boreds when pdub decides he’s had enough?

phd?

ousie?

he who will not be named?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You all paid for hosting for a couple more years so for sure i'll keep this bored running.
After that, we'll have a cage match tournament.