2022-23 CBB Season

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 2022-23 CBB Season

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The thing about HS rankings, though, is that they are designed to rank the prospects in how they think they will end up professionally.

It would be a different ranking if it were to rank how good a player would be in 1-2 seasons of college (or more).

Gradey Dick is going to be more impactful in 2023 than several of the players ranked in front of him that don't have the polish to their game right now that Gradey has and a guy like Braun already had.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:02 pm is there any red flag specific to Rice, though?

or are we basing this all on what similarly ranked guys with similar heights that play similar positions did?

for that matter, I hear Rice's dad is a nutjob because look at Carl Henry!
Nothing major. His camp was all in on the G League before NIL rules. Then the tune changed once Rice's name started falling down the HS rankings as well as not showing up on 2023 NBA draft boards.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:02 pm is there any red flag specific to Rice, though?
CnB could give more specifics but iirc it seems his camp thinks he's better than he is. They wanted straight to the G League instead of college. Then NIL changed. They see him as a 1 and done but the NBA doesn't.

Basically he could quickly become unhappy with his role if it's not handed to him on a silver plater. And maybe he's good enough that he'll start from Day 1. But if for some reason he falls to 7th or 8th in the rotation I think the red flags are there that he won't be happy waiting for his turn a year down the road like we have had some players do.

And again, we've never met him, so maybe we are wrong and he'll be a perfect teammate regardless of role. We've had guys prove us wrong before who were model citizens...and we've had guys we thought would be fine do the opposite.

Time will tell. McCullar gives us insurance to weather the storm if it happens...or maybe McCullar is the reason the storm happens. Hard to say yet.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dang. yeah, who knows. Thinking he's better than he is isn't ideal, but I'd still like to be optimistic about him.

even if he doesn't play a big role next year, that could just as easily mean someone else is balling out.

or, cue the "why are we playing (insert archetypal Face Ass here) when we could be getting minutes to Rice instead?" thread.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:15 pm dang. yeah, who knows. Thinking he's better than he is isn't ideal, but I'd still like to be optimistic about him.

even if he doesn't play a big role next year
That's the scenario we are worried about.

If he plays a big role, I have no concerns.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl is right that that type of player can have a hard time transitioning. Selden spent more time here than pretty much anyone though he would, and he was a better prospect than Rice is now.

And I have little doubt that McCullar is going to eat him up in practice, certainly at the beginning. 21 year old guy that played 3 seasons for 2 coaches that preach aggressively going after the opponent for 40 minutes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

honestly, worst case scenario would be Rice playing a big role even though he's not ready for it. Strong 2019 vibes.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:15 pmor, cue the "why are we playing (insert archetypal Face Ass here) when we could be getting minutes to Rice instead?" thread.
I get 2019 Marcus Garrett vs. Quentin Grimes vibes. Except Rice also has to deal with Gradey Dick getting clock.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:15 pm
or, cue the "why are we playing (insert archetypal Face Ass here) when we could be getting minutes to Rice instead?" thread.
That thread gets made every season no matter the roster (or the need).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

didn't Garrett and Grimes start alongside one another, though?

I brag at the Crooked Creek Saloon about how I can name off every KU lineup and rotation from the past 20 years, but 19 made me think twice.

We started Dok/Dedric/Vick/Grimey/Dot

then Dok got hurt, Vick got kicked, Och got de-shirted.

So then we were jumping Dedric at center for a good stretch, with like Och/Grimes/Dot and...Marcus, right?

then freshman Bad Dave started looking like freshman Good Dave, and I think by the end of the season he got the starting nod, so Dave/Dedric/Och/Grimes/Dot

am I remembering that right? Without looking it up I'm not confirming specific timelines, like whether Dave started before Vick left, and specifically when Och got activated and subsequently started, and such

but to the point, I guess I don't remember/didn't realize it was some either/or type of Quentin/Marcus situation. Though the experienced-defensive-guy-or-young-hot-shot analogy maybe good between there and McCullar and Rice.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Right. The other stud freshman in 2019 played PG. Dick is an off-guard, so it doesn't quite fit.
Deleted User 863

It doesn't seem totally impossible that Rice could beat out Dick early on, right Rice might be better at defense?

I am not as high on McCullar as some, but those 3 seem like they're all relatively close. Should be a good battle for minutes.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I am not someone who feels FORCED religion belongs in schools and college basketball programs.
I AM someone who appreciates this.

https://yellowhammernews.com/auburn-men ... bFnd5AhzSU
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

per espn:

6. Kansas Jayhawks
Bill Self used an experienced, veteran-laden group to go out and win the national championship last season -- and now he will rely on the opposite. Five of the seven players who saw more than five minutes in the title game are gone, including first-round draft picks Christian Braun and Ochai Agbaji. Jalen Wilson will be looked at as a go-to player after averaging 12.0 points and 9.7 rebounds in the NCAA tournament, while Dajuan Harris Jr. returns as a backcourt starter. Texas Tech transfer Kevin McCullar is one of the best two-way players in the Big 12.

But Self will need immediate impacts from freshmen Gradey Dick, Ernest Udeh and M.J. Rice -- there's a good chance at least one or two will start early. Keep an eye out for sophomores Zach Clemence and K.J. Adams stepping up, too.

Projected starting lineup:
Dajuan Harris Jr. (5.4 PPG) Gradey Dick (No. 14 in ESPN 100) Kevin McCullar (10.1 PPG at Texas Tech) Jalen Wilson (11.0 PPG) Ernest Udeh (No. 23 in ESPN 100)

1 - unc
2 - zags
3 - houston
4 - uk
5 - duke
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The article KUTrad is referring to:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... olina-no-1

Borzello all in on Udeh.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Preseason Big 12:

Mike Miles (CPOY)
Flagler
Jalen
Timmy Allen
Carr
Avery Anderson

McCullar with HM.

No big surprises, but I'm a little surprised they didn't put Keyonte George on first team. Been thinking all summer that Baylor would finish 3rd or 4th because Scott Drew sucks and UT and TCU are going to be so good. But if George is as advertised, starting to like their team more.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think another mistake is not putting Eddie Lampkin on the honorable mention list ( which, with 15 players, is similar to predicting making one of the 3 All B12 teams ).

I could see him averaging around 11 points, 8 rebounds, 1 block for a good TCU squad which would get him on the third team.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:19 am I think another mistake is not putting Eddie Lampkin on the honorable mention list ( which, with 15 players, is similar to predicting making one of the 3 All B12 teams ).

I could see him averaging around 11 points, 8 rebounds, 1 block for a good TCU squad which would get him on the third team.

Dude was a beast down low towards the end of the season. Totally agree!
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

AP finally out:

1. UNC
4. UK
5. KU/Baylor
7. Duke
12. UT
13. Indiana
14. TCU
25. Tech

Salty schedule again.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How are we tied? It’s the preseason just pick one.

And how are we tied with Baylor? I mean, come on, lulz.