Vivek ramaswamy

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Vivek ramaswamy

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:56 pm Democrat logic when a Democrat is president:

Take credit for everything good that happens, but anything bad that happens, blame on the previous administration
Please come back on this point after researching relative deficit growth/contraction, sorted by the party holding the White House.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Don't do that.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:08 pm
dolomite wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:19 pm Things Biden did that pissed me off:
Stopped construction on the Border wall, did NOT discourage illegal immigration, shutdown Keystone XL pipeline advancement, blamed inflation on Russia war, (he could’ve stood up to Putin with a show of force at the Ukrainian border). Now trying to fight inflation by raising interest rates and slowing down the economy, causing massive job layoffs and a tightening supply of goods which will lead to higher (not lower) inflation. Started the war against fossil fuels driving down domestic oil production, ended Operation Legend amid a record crime wave in U.S. cities. There’s more but all I can come up with now. (Feel free to add to this list).
Oh, I'd LOVE to hear what you think that "show of force" at the Ukrainian border would have been. What are you thinking, move a thousand tanks and 30,000 troops over there and station them right up at the border? Yeah, I am sure that Mr. Stable Putin wouldn't have seen that as an overt declaration of war at all....

Do you ever stop to think about the talking points you parrot?
Why would Putin see a show of force as an overt declaration of war? He’s a bully and a coward. Bullies need to be confronted and punched in the nose. His threats of using nuclear are just empty, Biden is a chicken and Ukrainians are now worse off because of it.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:51 pmDon't do that.
Would you disagree that the R position on expanding deficits has, for quite some time, depended on whether or not they're the ones doing the expanding?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:14 pm
Would you disagree that the R position on expanding deficits has, for quite some time, depended on whether or not they're the ones doing the expanding?
Of course. I won't pretend for a second that the GOP gives any shits about spending -- when they hold the purse strings.

That said, the Democratic claim to being more deficit-disciplined is the combination of an historical anomaly and two statistical sleights of hand.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:31 pm
Of course. I won't pretend for a second that the GOP gives any shits about spending -- when they hold the purse strings.

That said, the Democratic claim to being more deficit-disciplined is the combination of an historical anomaly and two statistical sleights of hand.
(To me, the problem isn't nearly as much on the spending side as it is on the revenue side.)
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Thanks for the honesty. However, it’s the Republicans who are running around claiming to be “deficit-disciplined” (cf. Paul Ryan and current incarnation of Kevin McCarthy) -something that is not factual. I don’t think the Dems claim to be deficit hawks but merely pointing out that Republican sanctimony is a lie.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:59 pm
dolomite wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:19 pm Things Biden did that pissed me off:
Stopped construction on the Border wall, did NOT discourage illegal immigration, shutdown Keystone XL pipeline advancement, blamed inflation on Russia war, (he could’ve stood up to Putin with a show of force at the Ukrainian border). Now trying to fight inflation by raising interest rates and slowing down the economy, causing massive job layoffs and a tightening supply of goods which will lead to higher (not lower) inflation. Started the war against fossil fuels driving down domestic oil production, ended Operation Legend amid a record crime wave in U.S. cities. There’s more but all I can come up with now. (Feel free to add to this list).
Oh, I'd LOVE to hear what you think that "show of force" at the Ukrainian border would have been. What are you thinking, move a thousand tanks and 30,000 troops over there and station them right up at the border? Yeah, I am sure that Mr. Stable Putin wouldn't have seen that as an overt declaration of war at all....

Why would Putin see a show of force as an overt declaration of war? He’s a bully and a coward. Bullies need to be confronted and punched in the nose. His threats of using nuclear are just empty, Biden is a chicken and Ukrainians are now worse off because of it.
Sorry to hear that you have not been paying attention to any of the actions, statements or behaviors of Putin over the last how many years. Good grief, read something, anything.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:39 pm

(To me, the problem isn't nearly as much on the spending side as it is on the revenue side.)
This. You tie your hands behind your back when you pass massive tax breaks for the ultra wealthy and corporations. Republicans shut off the spigot of water and then complain when Dems want to plant more trees but have nothing to water them with.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:03 pm

This. You tie your hands behind your back when you pass massive tax breaks for the ultra wealthy and corporations. Republicans shut off the spigot of water and then complain when Dems want to plant more trees but have nothing to water them with.
Sigh.

The fact of the matter is that the "ultra-rich" are mostly a figment of your imagination and the "ultra-rich who don't pay their fair share" are entirely fictional.

If we, as a nation, want to continue to spend as we do on guns AND butter, we will have to be honest with ourselves and raise taxes on the middle class and the working poor. You can't have a European social welfare state without European tax rates (and European economic growth rates).

The idea that there is this goose out there, somewhere laying golden eggs, and all we need to do is to catch it and tax those eggs properly is rube-bait disinformation that has circulated (unsubstantiated) for 2 centuries.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Nice to have you back
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:19 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:03 pm

Sigh.

The fact of the matter is that the "ultra-rich" are mostly a figment of your imagination and the "ultra-rich who don't pay their fair share" are entirely fictional.

If we, as a nation, want to continue to spend as we do on guns AND butter, we will have to be honest with ourselves and raise taxes on the middle class and the working poor. You can't have a European social welfare state without European tax rates (and European economic growth rates).

The idea that there is this goose out there, somewhere laying golden eggs, and all we need to do is to catch it and tax those eggs properly is rube-bait disinformation that has circulated (unsubstantiated) for 2 centuries.
Trying to address these issues WITHOUT starting at the right end of the wealth curve is like trying to address gun violence WITHOUT starting with access to assault rifles.

It’s definitely true that there’s not a single magic bullet (sorry)…BUT it’s nonsensical to think there’s an intelligent path that doesn’t start with the obvious.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Ok. As long as you're aware that that's purely a political argument and not an economic/financial one,
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Really? In a thread where you're praising a guy as a savior for wanting to collect the nickels and dimes of overpaid gov't employees, you're also going to act like billionaires paying 8.2% effective income tax rates is a meaningless drop in the bucket?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:55 pm Really? In a thread where you're praising a guy as a savior for wanting to collect the nickels and dimes of overpaid gov't employees, you're also going to act like billionaires paying 8.2% effective income tax rates is a meaningless drop in the bucket?
Also, why am I paying 37% ?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Overlander wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:31 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:55 pm Really? In a thread where you're praising a guy as a savior for wanting to collect the nickels and dimes of overpaid gov't employees, you're also going to act like billionaires paying 8.2% effective income tax rates is a meaningless drop in the bucket?
Also, why am I paying 37% ?
It's good for the economy. Like it's good that I make too much money to deduct student loan interest payments. That way I can pay my fair share, we surelycouldn'tafford to leave that loophole open. That frees up Jeffery and Elon to only claim 30K "salaries" while living like the billionaires they actually are. See, cause the taxes we pay are economic, but the taxes they don't pay are just political.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:00 pm
dolomite wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:59 pm

Sorry to hear that you have not been paying attention to any of the actions, statements or behaviors of Putin over the last how many years. Good grief, read something, anything.
So Two, who is your favorite author? I prefer fiction from John Gresham. Also anything on previous world wars, mostly WWII.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This is untrue ( of course this depends on what you consider fair share and ultra-rich…but let’s say a billionaire is ultra-rich, well they don’t pay the same percentage of their net worth as those who are worth much less than they )

“…ultra-rich who don't pay their fair share" are entirely fictional.”
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:55 pm Really? In a thread where you're praising a guy as a savior
Link?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »