Uncle Joe

Ugh.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Uncle Joe

Post by Sparko »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:58 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:17 pm
I'm asking for a straight answer to a simple question: what is the significance of LEOs being in the insurrection mobs?
It's potentially significant in 2 instances.

First, it's significant if the FBI Director lied under oath about it to Congress.

Second, it's significant if LEOs instigated action rather than merely observing it.

The first we know. (Wray lied). The second is likely unknowable -- unless they can somehow prove that Ray Epps was a Fed.

Beyond that, I would HOPE there were LEOs in the crowd. Seems irresponsible not to have them on the ground, acting on intelligence.
It was blown start to finish by DHS
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:09 pm
Mjl wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:45 pmBy which metrics?
Case in point: We advertised to replace my admin assistant. It is 20 hours a week at $13 an hour, with work from home flexibility. Normally, we’d get one or two applicants and settle for the least objectionable. This time around, I sifted through 43 applications, half of which were people with Master’s degrees. About 2/3 said they were looking for a second or third job because food and utilities had gotten so expensive. Yay?
Three questions.
1. People actually put on their applications that they were looking for a second or third job because food and utilities had gotten so expensive?
2. You/your employer is paying just $13 an hour to be your admin ass?
3. Am I wrong to believe that's less than minimum wage in about 30% of the states in this country?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:20 pm
Case in point: We advertised to replace my admin assistant. It is 20 hours a week at $13 an hour, with work from home flexibility. Normally, we’d get one or two applicants and settle for the least objectionable. This time around, I sifted through 43 applications, half of which were people with Master’s degrees. About 2/3 said they were looking for a second or third job because food and utilities had gotten so expensive. Yay?
Three questions.
1. People actually put on their applications that they were looking for a second or third job because food and utilities had gotten so expensive?
No. I call and talk to people to see if it is worth scheduling an interview. People seem to feel compelled to tell me things. It is both a blessing and a curse, depending on the day.
Yes. Welcome to faith-based higher education.
3. Am I wrong to believe that's less than minimum wage in about 30% of the states in this country?
Probably. See #2.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

JKLivin wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:57 pm

Three questions.
No. I call and talk to people to see if it is worth scheduling an interview. People seem to feel compelled to tell me things. It is both a blessing and a curse, depending on the day.
Probably. See #2.
Thanks for the responses!
1. I didn't realize you spoke to the people. I thought you just skimmed/sifted through their applications. I was wrong for thinking that and now it makes perfect sense to me.
2. I know at times I am condescending to/towards you but I swear I wasn't being and I hope you don't feel I was being condescending when I asked the 2nd question. I obviously have no clue what faith based and non faith based education typically pays an Administrative Assistant to a Professor (I think you are a Professor?) but $13 seems almost criminal. On the flip side, no one is forcing someone to take the job so I guess it's as "fair" as the employee feels it is.
3. I read your response to my 2nd question. It's unfortunate but I assume the cost of living where you are is lower than many other places in the country. At least I hope it is.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:11 pm
JKLivin wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:57 pm

Three questions.
Probably. See #2.
Thanks for the responses!
1. I didn't realize you spoke to the people. I thought you just skimmed/sifted through their applications. I was wrong for thinking that and now it makes perfect sense to me.
2. I know at times I am condescending to/towards you but I swear I wasn't being and I hope you don't feel I was being condescending when I asked the 2nd question. I obviously have no clue what faith based and non faith based education typically pays an Administrative Assistant to a Professor (I think you are a Professor?) but $13 seems almost criminal. On the flip side, no one is forcing someone to take the job so I guess it's as "fair" as the employee feels it is.
3. I read your response to my 2nd question. It's unfortunate but I assume the cost of living where you are is lower than many other places in the country. At least I hope it is.
No worries. No one works at these places expecting to get rich. They do so because they believe in the cause. I’m a professor and administrator biding my time until the current Dean retires and I can move up to take that spot. Most of us have side gigs. It’s just the nature of the beast.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I see this at small colleges pretty often, JCCC in KC is a case in point. If most of the educators are adjunct, not full time, it may take 2-3 jobs to get 40 hours of work. This shift from tenured full time professors predates Biden's presidency and has nothing to do with the economy at large. I pay my admin $26/hr with full benefits and she gets a 3% contribution into her 401K regardless of her contribution level. We currently have 17 full time positions open right now with an average salary of $75K. These open positions have nothing to do with churn, our turnover rate is less than 5%. A couple of these positions have been open for a year.

If 43 people are applying for a $13/hr part time job to supplement their other sources of income, you have a crappy employer and a crappy industry, more so than a crappy economy. And that has nothing to do with Biden. And if some of those adjuncts got their student loans for their MS and PHD's forgiven, maybe they wouldn't need that third job to make those payments.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Let's face it. If (pre-scandal) WJClinton were president today, he'd be cruising to reelection.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

japhy wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:05 pm I see this at small colleges pretty often, JCCC in KC is a case in point. If most of the educators are adjunct, not full time, it may take 2-3 jobs to get 40 hours of work. This shift from tenured full time professors predates Biden's presidency and has nothing to do with the economy at large. I pay my admin $26/hr with full benefits and she gets a 3% contribution into her 401K regardless of her contribution level. We currently have 17 full time positions open right now with an average salary of $75K. These open positions have nothing to do with churn, our turnover rate is less than 5%. A couple of these positions have been open for a year.

If 43 people are applying for a $13/hr part time job to supplement their other sources of income, you have a crappy employer and a crappy industry, more so than a crappy economy. And that has nothing to do with Biden. And if some of those adjuncts got their student loans for their MS and PHD's forgiven, maybe they wouldn't need that third job to make those payments.
I assume you work for a state school or a well-funded private one. Christian higher ed is a different ballgame. We are tuition-driven and survival is a constant struggle. We often have faculty positions open for a year or more in my department, too, but mostly because a clinician can easily make three times what a full-time professor is paid. Those of us who teach, do so because we are investing in the future of the field. If no one trains mental health professionals, they will cease to exist.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Cool anecdote.

Do you have stats to back up that this isn't a super isolated thing?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Mjl wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:25 pm
Cool anecdote.

Do you have stats to back up that this isn't a super isolated thing?
Nope. Other than the fact that I adjunct at five other colleges on top of my FT job and my wife does the same at three others on top of hers. And pretty much everyone we know does the same.

I’m sure it’s just a south central Michigan thing, though.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Fair enough.
I mean, I am more swayed by the stats showing wage growth back to being significantly higher than inflation. And unemployment being very low. And a rise in workforce participation.

I also am skeptical in the new work from home model. I know a couple people who are contracting at multiple companies, full time positions, and not actually working more than 40 hours a week. Because companies just don't expect that much from people, and are slow to fire people. But hey, that's anecdotal too.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:58 pm
I'm asking for a straight answer to a simple question: what is the significance of LEOs being in the insurrection mobs?
It's potentially significant in 2 instances.

First, it's significant if the FBI Director lied under oath about it to Congress.

Second, it's significant if LEOs instigated action rather than merely observing it.

The first we know. (Wray lied). The second is likely unknowable -- unless they can somehow prove that Ray Epps was a Fed.

Beyond that, I would HOPE there were LEOs in the crowd. Seems irresponsible not to have them on the ground, acting on intelligence.
I’m not so sure the second is “likely” or even “more likely than not” unknowable.

But I have a feeling that the specifics around LEOs’ “instigation” of things does not suit Randy’s narrative in the way he thinks it might.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Simply noting that proving the negative -- i.e. LEOs did NOT instigate anything -- is as difficult as proving any negative.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:33 am Simply noting that proving the negative -- i.e. LEOs did NOT instigate anything -- is as difficult as proving any negative.
Fine.

But proving the positive - that, on an individual basis, specific individual LEOs who were present at the insurrection were sympathetic to or even involved in or even helping/abetting/leading/covering for right wing groups that instigated things - is of course eminently doable.

But that’s not something that would suit Randy’s view of things.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

LEO screwed up before the insurrection. It was going to be a wild time with a coups planning cell in the Willard Hotel and amphibious weapons landings. But let's not be ready.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:36 pm
twocoach wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:47 pm
randylahey wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:30 pm

OK. Let's hear your reasons for why this is a good thing?
Because a significant number of actively deployed members of the military stationed in Europe right now might be getting to the end of their deployment period and getting burnt out from being away from their families. Instead of grinding them into the ground, resulting in people leaving the military, Biden may be choosing to supplement the additional forces in the area with reservists. So it's a win for the active duty personnel who get a break and can come home and see their family instead of drop out of the military, leaving us with a shortage of service members.
Or...
OK. Let's hear your reasons for why this is not a good thing.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:28 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:54 am

Hi, still waiting for you to tell me the significance of LEOs being in the insurrection mobs.
There no reasoning with you. Make of it what you will. Anyone with an unbiased brain knows the left maximized and milked 1/6 for all it was worth. They let it happen to use it politically. Enticed it
I'm not asking for reasoning.

Depends. Are you asking about in-uniform on duty LEOs or off duty LEOs in plain clothes participating as citizens?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Three questions.
1. No, he most likely made that up. No one in their right mind would state that they already had two other jobs on a job application that they actually want to get. "Just want to let you know that I am already scheduled to the max so good luck finding me available when you need me" isn't a great approach to landing a job.
2. No kidding. McDonalds pays burger flippers more than that here. Again, likely a made up story.
3. Not sure what state he is in but like I said, probably a made up story. Just like all the friends he knows who happen to be experts in the exact topic being discussed...