We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:03 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:00 pm And clearly there is nothing he could say or do that would cause rubes to cut bait.
Run somebody against him who I’d vote for?
I, personally, would LOVE to have a choice (dem or pub) also.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:09 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:00 pm And clearly there is nothing he could say or do that would cause rubes to cut bait.
I think most people would.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:58 pm

McConnell had a chance. He chose to press the bet on the midterms. And so here we are.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Who do you want?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Mjl wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:46 pm

Who do you want?
Someone who’ll give the globalists hell. Trey Gordy or Josh Hawley would be great, but I don’t think either would run.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Hawley, the chambers sprinter?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

defixione wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:00 pm Hawley, the chambers sprinter?
Well, according to AOC, there was a bomb in her office, so better safe than sorry.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Biden has surprised me with the competence. An indicator of that is he is attacked for his age relentlessly but not the policies. China has about gone to the mat financially too, incidentally. Having a stable president has allowed the U.S. to lead the reset of the international order. If we can rid the Republicans of their Russia Today spin and policies, we might make real progress on important existential issues. In Texas it is extremely hot, but the grid has survived because it has been bolstered immensely by solar power by folks not listening to MAGA politicians here.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:36 pm
defixione wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:00 pm Hawley, the chambers sprinter?
Well, according to AOC, there was a bomb in her office, so better safe than sorry.
?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Sparko wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:38 pm Biden has surprised me with the competence. An indicator of that is he is attacked for his age relentlessly but not the policies. China has about gone to the mat financially too, incidentally. Having a stable president has allowed the U.S. to lead the reset of the international order. If we can rid the Republicans of their Russia Today spin and policies, we might make real progress on important existential issues. In Texas it is extremely hot, but the grid has survived because it has been bolstered immensely by solar power by folks not listening to MAGA politicians here.
The same Biden on whose watch the Chinese have been buying up American farm land and industrial sites? How well will you like him when China is taking most of our produce and shipping it to themselves?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:51 pm
Sparko wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:38 pm Biden has surprised me with the competence. An indicator of that is he is attacked for his age relentlessly but not the policies. China has about gone to the mat financially too, incidentally. Having a stable president has allowed the U.S. to lead the reset of the international order. If we can rid the Republicans of their Russia Today spin and policies, we might make real progress on important existential issues. In Texas it is extremely hot, but the grid has survived because it has been bolstered immensely by solar power by folks not listening to MAGA politicians here.
The same Biden on whose watch the Chinese have been buying up American farm land and industrial sites? How well will you like him when China is taking most of our produce and shipping it to themselves?
How much American land has China bought during the Biden years?

According to Forbes, not known as a liberal-leaning source, Chinese ownership of American farmland skyrocketed during Trump's last year in office:

Of the 109 countries that own U.S. agricultural land, China ranks No. 18, far behind No. 1 Canada (12.8 million acres) and even and the Cayman Islands (672,000).

...Chinese agricultural land ownership only increased about 550 acres from 2015 to 2019. Then ownership jumped 30% from 2019 to 2020, from some 247,000 acres to roughly 352,000. U.S. companies with Chinese shareholders more than doubled their acreage that year, accounting for 102,000 acres of the growth....
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Feral wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:35 pm

According to Forbes, not known as a liberal-leaning source, Chinese ownership of American farmland skyrocketed during Trump's last year in office:

Of the 109 countries that own U.S. agricultural land, China ranks No. 18, far behind No. 1 Canada (12.8 million acres) and even and the Cayman Islands (672,000).

...Chinese agricultural land ownership only increased about 550 acres from 2015 to 2019. Then ownership jumped 30% from 2019 to 2020, from some 247,000 acres to roughly 352,000. U.S. companies with Chinese shareholders more than doubled their acreage that year, accounting for 102,000 acres of the growth....
https://www.reuters.com/business/financ ... 021-06-11/

China, aka Blackrock. Meet the new boss; same as the old boss.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:55 pm

Who do you want?
Someone who’ll give the globalists hell. Trey Gordy or Josh Hawley would be great, but I don’t think either would run.
Hawley fits you
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Mjl wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:52 pm

Who do you want?
Hawley fits you
Smart, tough, driven, America first mindset. I like him.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Smart?

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:18 pm Smart?

:lol:
This from a guy who thinks that Biden is doing a great job? But you’re right. Only idiots graduate from Stanford and Yale. :roll:
Last edited by JKLivin on Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:39 pm

If you have a point to make that's in that article, feel free to post it, because I'm not going to spend time looking for it.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Feral wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:38 pm

If you have a point to make that's in that article, feel free to post it, because I'm not going to spend time looking for it.
It's simple:

Blackrock is buying up all of the land.
Blackrock is the only "American" company operating in China.
China does not allow companies to operate there unless they own a majority share of them.
Hence, "Blackrock," er . . . China, is buying the land.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:45 pm
Feral wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:38 pm

It's simple:

Blackrock is buying up all of the land.
Blackrock is the only "American" company operating in China.
China does not allow companies to operate there unless they own a majority share of them.
Hence, "Blackrock," er . . . China, is buying the land.
Not to dismiss the entire thing. I'm not big on foreign citizens owning US land.

But....Blackrock isn't owned by the Chinese. It's majority owner is Vanguard Group.

And...Bill Gates is now the largest agricultural land owner in the US. Which, is an entirely different set of strangeness and concern.
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:58 pm
Mjl wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:52 pm

Hawley fits you
Smart, tough, driven, America first mindset. I like him.
I was thinking more along the lines of populist liberal, but is a Republican because that party no longer has actual values beyond sticking it to the Dems