Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Totally random thread

Post by Shirley »

defixione wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:21 pm He won't be worth a s*** tonight. 😉
I look forward to hearing all about in one of Taylor's upcoming songs.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

so plusses and minuses of the days spent working alone.

1. Plus: There's no one around to laugh at you when your hand slips off a crowbar allowing the bar to rebound and smack you in the face.

2. Minus: No one's around to help you when you're bleeding out of your mouth all over everything. Fuckin hurt. I got a hole and a split in my lip, a bruise, tear and gash in my gum. I'm also trying to assess what the damage is as I bite a paper towel trying to stop bleeding; but I'm 80% sure my tooth is also loose now. So that's cool.

I've also learned there's different types of people when injured. Pick 2 of these options to find yourself. Loud yellers, quiet disappearing people, crumple and don't move or sit in one spot, walk around and pace.

I'm definetely a quiet pacer. I dunno what the difference is...but I'm usually fairly quiet other tha dropping whatever I'm holding then I immediately pace around incessantly. I'm guessing the quietness comes from doing a self assessment and not wanting admitting I'm hurt. The pacing I dunno...distraction?
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

World record in the Chicago Marathon!
Kelvin Kiptum
I watched him run past me 2 hours ago.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:36 am World record in the Chicago Marathon!
Kelvin Kiptum
So, it was all downhill, and with the wind?
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Shirley wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:31 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:36 am World record in the Chicago Marathon!
Kelvin Kiptum
So, it was all downhill, and with the wind?
Pretty much flat. Yes wind but headwind at times too.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Should have put this on my Chicago thread but it is a totally random post....

To give you some background, there was a shooting outside of Blum Nightclub this weekend in which 8 people were shot - and there have been multiple shootings on this block and in the nearby area in the past few years. It is considered to be a "good" (or at least not a "bad") part of Chicago. Of course the shooting/s this weekend didn't make the national news because those who were shot are black, and black people shooting black people doesn't matter - to national news outlets because they feel people aren't too interested? Or.... It doesn't fit the "narrative"? Whatever the "narrative" is.

October 8 2023
Message from Alderman Reilly Regarding Mass Shooting at Blum Nightclub
Dear Neighbor:

I have been petitioning the Department of Business Affairs & Liquor Commissioner to shut down Clutch / Blum for years now, without success.

This bad establishment has been the source of chronic neighborhood complaints and has been linked to prior shooting incidents. Inexplicably, the city has allowed this nightclub to continue to operate, despite my prediction that it was just a matter of time before another shooting incident would occur.

Because the city has failed to close this bar, my office has been working to facilitate the sale of the building to have Blum shut-down and evicted. In fact, the property is currently under contract to be sold next month.

I have asked CPD to issue a summary closure order to ensure this nightclub does not reopen before the building is sold and they are evicted next month. It is my understanding CPD is issuing a summary closure order today.

These late hour nightclubs are a blight on River North, with many catering to gangbangers, drug dealers and gun-toting patrons. Many of the gun crimes being committed downtown overnight are related to fights originating at these late hour clubs, yet these operators are allowed to remain open.

The Commissioner of Business Affairs and his bureaucrats need to do their jobs, stop catering to these bad actors and start revoking liquor licenses. It should not require a mass shooting to result in the closure of a problem nightclub. River North residents and I have been sounding the alarm to the city about Blum for years - yet the city has done nothing to discipline the club.

How many more people need to get shot before the City steps up to the plate and starts shutting down these bad operators? Downtown residents should not be forced to suffer because city bureaucrats refuse to do their jobs.

Sincerely,

Brendan Reilly
Alderman - 42nd Ward

video below. You don't see anything terrible but do see gun shots.....

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyKcgRUA ... _copy_link
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

My sister went to her 40th class reunion over the weekend. A woman who she was friends with back then, but hasn't seen in 40 years came up her when she got there. Only she and her brother knew this story, but she wanted my sister to know that my dad had saved her mother's life years ago.

Dad was the only dentist in a small town. He get's a call one night, a woman had lost some teeth and had a busted lip. Needed immediate care, the husband called. Dad gets there and it is obvious the woman had been punched in the mouth. The husband who did it was a very popular former football star and State Trooper. By the daughter's later telling, this was a one of many beatings endured by mom in front of her children. My dad put the mom back together as the kids and husband watched. In the 70's it wasn't a big deal to see a wound sutured on a patient or a sibling in our kitchen or at their home.

After dad finishes up he turns and grabs the husband by the collar and drags him into another room. As the daughter recounted, "your dad was a big intimidating guy". All the kids could hear was yelling and the threat that if he ever touched his wife or kids again not only was he going to lose them, but he was going to go to jail. Whatever went on in there, when the husband came out he never touched her mom again over the next 30 years. She told my sister that to this day she thinks my dad saved her mom's life. He never told any of us about it, nor did anyone else in the room that night until Saturday.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:34 pm My sister went to her 40th class reunion over the weekend. A woman who she was friends with back then, but hasn't seen in 40 years came up her when she got there. Only she and her brother knew this story, but she wanted my sister to know that my dad had saved her mother's life years ago.

Dad was the only dentist in a small town. He get's a call one night, a woman had lost some teeth and had a busted lip. Needed immediate care, the husband called. Dad gets there and it is obvious the woman had been punched in the mouth. The husband who did it was a very popular former football star and State Trooper. By the daughter's later telling, this was a one of many beatings endured by mom in front of her children. My dad put the mom back together as the kids and husband watched. In the 70's it wasn't a big deal to see a wound sutured on a patient or a sibling in our kitchen or at their home.

After dad finishes up he turns and grabs the husband by the collar and drags him into another room. As the daughter recounted, "your dad was a big intimidating guy". All the kids could hear was yelling and the threat that if he ever touched his wife or kids again not only was he going to lose them, but he was going to go to jail. Whatever went on in there, when the husband came out he never touched her mom again over the next 30 years. She told my sister that to this day she thinks my dad saved her mom's life. He never told any of us about it, nor did anyone else in the room that night until Saturday.
What an incredible gift your father gave that family. You and your sister should be so proud! And, what a gift the daughter gave your sister, to relate that heartwarming experience.

Not that long ago it was often taken as a given that if a husband was beating his wife, she probably deserved it. Similar to the "what was she wearing?" state of mind. A woman's voice was never taken as seriously as a man's. And because of that, even if there were resources, like the sheriff, police, etc., they were generally very reluctant to get involved in another "man's" business, because we all know how dramatic and hysterical women can be, right?

That dynamic would have only been amplified by the husband's status as both a local sports hero and state trooper, especially in a small town. Which is to say, even if a wife managed to work up the courage over time to seek help, she was often patted on the head, the husband was given a lecture, and the wife paid a price for revealing the family's secrets when they got home. Teaching her the lesson that nothing could be done, so why risk trying and only pissing the husband off?

Didn't realize until now that our sisters attended the same high school.

Small world.
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Shirley wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:41 pm Any chance Gutter's real name is "Gary"?
No.

3 Thoughts......
1. Looked like the guy had a knife. If so, I feel Gary is an idiot. For putting himself in danger but more so his woman.
2. The guy Gary attacked may have been mentally ill. As I said to someone today, it's not always so easy to tell who is legitimately a threat and is purposely trying to "assault" you and who is just simply "off".
I have been in that area many times in the evening and there often are "stalkers". Both legitimate criminals and just some crazy people who are not going to harm you.
3. The girl in the hat and scarf who walked by, another example of oblivious people walking around in this city completely unaware of what is going on around them. WAKE THE F UP!
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

japhy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:34 pm My sister went to her 40th class reunion over the weekend. A woman who she was friends with back then, but hasn't seen in 40 years came up her when she got there. Only she and her brother knew this story, but she wanted my sister to know that my dad had saved her mother's life years ago.

I hope that story made you and your sister feel good.
The guy must have respected your father in many ways. Called him to "fix" his wife and ended up fixing himself.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

It's funny cuz I remember at his celebration of life, what Bohemians would call a funeral afterparty, a lot of people coming up to me and saying what a great guy my dad was and how much he meant to them. I had no idea what their backstories were. They never filled me in. It was a rural town with a lot of agriculture. Most people did not have insurance. He took alternative payments in "sides of beef" sometimes and discounts on goods or services. He made payment schedules for patients. There were people who came into his office in their 40's who just wanted him to pull all of their teeth and make them dentures, because it would just be easier than brushing their teeth. He spent a lot of time explaining how fucked up that thinking was, refusing to pull teeth that were still good.

He ran for the school board once in the 70's and was the president for two terms during some really turbulent times and once things got back to normalcy and we were in high school he left the board and never ran for anything again. I remember someone telling him he should run one more time, so that his name would be on the plaque at the new high school and him saying he really didn't care about that.

I think there is more we don't know about my dad than what we do know.

And he always gave people a big hug when he saw them, it freaks people out sometimes when you hug them in greeting. He didn't care. Eventually it endeared him to them. He was a shit talker and he was funny. That is a lasting memory of all who knew him.

This is the only photo that I am aware of that is just the two of us. We are in Iowa at my aunt and uncle's house. The morning was spent at my grandmother's ( mom's side) funeral and then the Bohemian afterparty. There were only two non-residential buildings in Lourdes IA, a Catholic Church and a bar. My grandmother had put up the funds in her will for every drink to be on her tab that day and a large feast of food provided. We left the funeral and walked across the street to the bar. Not sure whether on not everyone who came in the bar that day knew my grandmother, but they knew she paid for the party they were welcomed into before they left. Afterwards we went back to the farm to watch the Jayhawks play the Catholics in the Final Four. The shittalking had started in the bar and by the time we get to the game we were outnumbered 10-1 (our favorite odds) by aunts and uncles and cousins and family friends who were rooting for the Catholics and the unbeatable and probably divinely ordained Dwayne Wade. You prolly know how that went. By the end of the game I think my dad and I were the only ones left in the room waving the wheat as the horn sounded. Whatever the fuck I was saying when the photo was taken, my dad was obviously amused at my game time observation. I don't think any of my mom's family talked sports with either of us in the room since.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I remember dinner at Zen Zero with you, your father, and my son before a KU BB game (can't remember who we played +/- 15 yrs ago?). I remember being impressed with his sense of humor and his sincere attention and enjoyment with my 10 yr old's word salads. I also remember him from lunch at Free State prior to the Boston College game. I have very high regards for him.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Never met him, but his son is an alright guy, and it had to come from somewhere.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

his balls?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

defixione wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:20 am I also remember him from lunch at Free State prior to the Boston College game.
The BC game, that also ranks in the sports shittalking hall of fame. Chiknbut was at that game. At one point in the first half meltdown by BC, Jared Dudley was checking into the game and kneeling right in front of us as we were in the front row.

Chiknbut yells, "Hey! Carmelo Lite!"

Dudley and the scorer's table both turn to look at him. "When you foul out, can I have your headband?".

The officials at the table bust out laughing as Dudley scowls and walks onto the floor. For years afterwards when I would see the timekeeper, who was also an Assoc Dean in Eng, he would bring that up and ask about my hilarious brother-in-law.

Watching the Super Bowl in Monte Vista CO with you in a bar full of bitter Broncos fans was a sports life shittalking highlight as well.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:18 pm so plusses and minuses of the days spent working alone.

1. Plus: There's no one around to laugh at you when your hand slips off a crowbar allowing the bar to rebound and smack you in the face.

2. Minus: No one's around to help you when you're bleeding out of your mouth all over everything. Fuckin hurt. I got a hole and a split in my lip, a bruise, tear and gash in my gum. I'm also trying to assess what the damage is as I bite a paper towel trying to stop bleeding; but I'm 80% sure my tooth is also loose now. So that's cool.

I've also learned there's different types of people when injured. Pick 2 of these options to find yourself. Loud yellers, quiet disappearing people, crumple and don't move or sit in one spot, walk around and pace.

I'm definetely a quiet pacer. I dunno what the difference is...but I'm usually fairly quiet other tha dropping whatever I'm holding then I immediately pace around incessantly. I'm guessing the quietness comes from doing a self assessment and not wanting admitting I'm hurt. The pacing I dunno...distraction?

I just saw this. I hope you're OK. It's been a while since I seriously hurt myself. Plenty of burns and cuts in the kitchen. Sliced the top of my thumb off a couple of times. Hospital visit after the shift.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

25th Wedding Anniversary today. My wife has officially spent half her life married to me, the poor woman. Kinda crazy.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

twocoach wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:11 am 25th Wedding Anniversary today. My wife has officially spent half her life married to me, the poor woman. Kinda crazy.
Congrats! I think. Give your wife a high five from me for being married to you and sticking with you for 25 years.