Israel/Palestine

Ugh.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by TDub »

Q all the sudden needs to change his pants.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

You can be supportive of the people of Palestine without being supportive of the actions of the terrorists who seized control of their government. But yeah, much of it is performative.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:10 am
You can be supportive of the people of Palestine without being supportive of the actions of the terrorists who seized control of their government. But yeah, much of it is performative.
Looks like that tweet has been deleted.

But, I found this: (Sad that 99 didn't think of it first, and sell them in his "store".)

Heard this morning that in two recent national polls,

DeSantis - 9%

Trump - 58%
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so sad…nbc had Richard Engel in gaza this morning marching among hamas supporters. directly behind him was a boy that couldn’t have been any older than 12 or 13, smiling and seemingly having a good time while chanting in support of hamas
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:10 am so sad…nbc had Richard Engel in gaza this morning marching among hamas supporters. directly behind him was a boy that couldn’t have been any older than 12 or 13, smiling and seemingly having a good time while chanting in support of hamas
I vividly remember Fred Phelps' hate circus protesting on campus at KU when I was there. It was heartbreaking seeing ten year olds hold signs like ALL FAGS GO TO HELL.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

bbc issued an apology for their initial coverage of the hospital tragedy
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:33 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:10 am so sad…nbc had Richard Engel in gaza this morning marching among hamas supporters. directly behind him was a boy that couldn’t have been any older than 12 or 13, smiling and seemingly having a good time while chanting in support of hamas
I vividly remember Fred Phelps' hate circus protesting on campus at KU when I was there. It was heartbreaking seeing ten year olds hold signs like ALL FAGS GO TO HELL.
Wescoe Beach.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Sparko wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:18 am
Wescoe Beach.
in my days they were parked across the street from Dyche and the Union
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

The Phelps entourage was a weekly occurrence during the mid to late 90s in front of Smith Hall--the Religious Studies building. 🙄
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:16 am bbc issued an apology for their initial coverage of the hospital tragedy
related…Newsweek taking the NYT to task for their coverage

https://www.newsweek.com/new-york-times ... on-1836304

there ought to be a whole lot of soul searching among news orgs right now, but i’m not sure that’s the case
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Media, right after completely fucking up the hospital story because they took Hamas at their word, two days later have completely fucked up another story because they took Hamas at their word. It's malpractice and endangers Israel.

https://x.com/Osinttechnical/status/171 ... 24513?s=20
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

"We Report, You Decide" was, and remains, high comedy.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

mjl2 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:34 am Media, right after completely fucking up the hospital story because they took Hamas at their word, two days later have completely fucked up another story because they took Hamas at their word. It's malpractice and endangers Israel.

https://x.com/Osinttechnical/status/171 ... 24513?s=20
It's a two-for-one:

Muslims, Arabs, et al get mad because it happened, generating outrage and clicks.

The fact-based crowd gets upset because it didn't happen, generating more outrage and clicks.

win/win

"Flood the zone with shit."
Steve Bannon
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Two female American hostages, a mother and daughter, released by Hamas.
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait wait wait

so NOW you guys are all agreeing that the same western wartime media that coordinated the same long sad chorus of “WMDS in Iraq!” is suddenly not playing us straight about wartime narratives?

Qusdahl couldn’t have said it any better they/themself.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:08 pm Wait wait wait

so NOW you guys are all agreeing that the same western wartime media that coordinated the same long sad chorus of “WMDS in Iraq!” is suddenly not playing us straight about wartime narratives?

Qusdahl couldn’t have said it any better they/themself.
I think you need to think critically about exactly who is falling for exactly what narrative.

Because, again, you are the one who lectured us against the dangers of irresponsible journalism. A day after...taking an anti-Israel position (on some sort of "just asking questions" fig leaf basis) on the basis of irresponsible journalism.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

I think you need to think critically…

:lol:
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Jesus fucking Christ you guys.

Let’s think critically here then:

Why would the NYT and other otherwise respected western media initially run with the “Israel did it” narrative then?

For the outrage?

For the clicks?

To pander to the “Muslim, Arab, et al” readers?

For the lulz?

And fish, kindly spare me the think critically shtick. I presented you with credible evidence of apartheid, and you responded with:

“no opinion.”

That’s pretty NON-critical thinking, not to mention spineless, and very well may end yourself up on the wrong side of history.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:24 pm I think you need to think critically…

:lol:
You know that UN you side with about war crimes Russian does it?

What do you think when that same UN says Israel’s going apartheid on Palestine?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:39 pm Jesus fucking Christ you guys.

Let’s think critically here then:

Why would the NYT and other otherwise respected western media initially run with the “Israel did it” narrative then?

For the outrage?

For the clicks?

To pander to the “Muslim, Arab, et al” readers?

For the lulz?

Because of, ultimately, motives of profit and of relentlessly bothsidesing everything to a fine paste, as if there simply must be, per natural law, one measure of X for every measure of Y. And that's why the NYT, and the BBC, and other legacy media, are being raked over the coals. They keep making the same mistakes over and over...and your taking up of (misbegotten) anti-Israel talking points is evidence of just what comes from these mistakes.

And fish, kindly spare me the think critically shtick. I presented you with credible evidence of apartheid, and you responded with:

“no opinion.”

That’s pretty NON-critical thinking, not to mention spineless, and very well may end yourself up on the wrong side of history.

I declined to give an opinion on something I don't know enough about, in my judgment, to give an opinion on. If I end up "on the wrong side of history" for not expressing a baseless opinion on the Politics sub-board of a college basketball message board...I'll accept my fate.
More squid ink. But I will do my best.

See above